Everything You Need to Know About The Polunsky Unit
The Allan B. Polunsky Unit is a maximum-security prison that is often referred to as the "Polunsky Unit." It was formerly named the Terrell Unit. It is known as one of the worst prisons in the United States and houses death row inmates. Its maximum capacity is 2,984 male prisoners.
Although a maximum-security prison, it also houses minimum-security inmates. Inmates who are close to being released are eligible to participate in the CHANGES re-release program. Vocational training is available in the fields of HVAC, millwork, carpentry, and transmission technician.
Polunsky Unit Contact Information
|Address||Allan B. Polunsky Unit
3872 FM 350 South
Livingston, TX 77351
|Phone Number||(936) 967-8082|
How to Contact Inmates at Polunsky Unit
- All mail communication is subject to being searched for contraband.
- Inmates are allowed to receive photos that are 4" x 6" or smaller. Polaroid and other instant photos are prohibited. Photos cannot contain nudity or depict any gang activity, such as flashing gang signs or gang tattoos.
- Inmates are allowed to receive books, magazines, and other publications. These must be sent through a reputable vendor like Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Only paperback books are allowed. Publications may not contain nudity, incite hate, or provide instructions on making contraband.
- You can address mail and packages to:
Inmate Name, TDCJ Number
3872 FM 350
SouthLivingston, TX 77351
- Inmates will establish a list of approved contacts that they are allowed to call. These lists can be amended periodically.
- In order to receive a call, you must set up an account with Texas Prison Phone. You can do this online or by calling 1-866-806-7804.
- Prepaid cell phones and VOIP lines cannot receive calls from Polunsky Unit.
- Generally, calls are limited to 20 minutes.
- The phone banks are typically open from 7 am - 10 pm every day. Call hours may be interrupted during lockdowns.
- Polunsky inmates can receive money via MoneyGram, Western Union, online deposits, over-the-phone deposits, and by mail.
- You can make a deposit with MoneyGram at any of their kiosks. You will need to use receive code 3570.
- Western Union deposits require completing the Quick Collect form. Include the following information:
- Pay to: TDCJ - Inmate Trust Funds
- Code City and State: TDCJ/TX
- Account Number: Inmate's TDCJ ID number and last name with no space (for example, Jones1234567)
- Attention: Inmate's last name, First name
- Online Deposits can be made with eCommDirect, Western Union, TouchPay, and JPAY.
- Over-the-phone deposits can be made with TouchPay (1-877-868-5358), Western Union (1-800-325-6000), and JPAY (1-800-574-5729)
- Mail deposits are often the cheapest but also take the longest. You must first have an inmate trust fund deposit slip. This can be mailed to you from the prisoner or by requesting one by mail through the Inmate Trust Fund. Money orders and cashier checks should be made payable to TDCJ - Inmate Trust Fund (Inmates committed name - TDCJ Number).
Mail your deposit with the deposit slip to:
Inmate Trust Fund PO Box 60 Huntsville, Texas 77342-0060
- All visitors at Polunsky Unit must be on the inmate's approved visitation list. This list is established during intake and can be updated periodically.
- The inmate will need to submit a visitor's full name, date of birth, and current address. If the inmate doesn't have this information, it can be sent to them in a letter.
- All adult visitors must have a government-issued ID. Minors must present a student ID or a birth certificate.
- All visitors and their vehicles will be searched.
- General Population and Segregation inmates are allowed to receive visitors on Saturdays and Sundays between 7 am and 5 pm. Death row inmates can receive visitors on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8 am to 5 pm; Wednesdays from 8 am to noon; Saturdays from 5:30 pm to 10 pm.
Steps to Take Before Contacting a Prisoner at Polunsky Unit
- Before contacting a prisoner, you will most likely need to know their TDCJ number.
- You can use the TDCJ inmate lookup tool to find this
- This website is known to run slow and crash. Alternatively, DoNotPay can help with our Find an Inmate product.
Difficulties You May Have Contacting Loved Ones in Polunsky Unit
- Trying to work with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice can be incredibly frustrating.
- Texas families of the incarcerated are often neglected.
- DoNotPay is here to help.
How DoNotPay Can Help
- Write a Prisoner If you're getting frustrated sending mail with TDCJ's strict rules, our online writing tool can help. All you do is type your letter, and we'll handle the printing and shipping.
- Prison Pen Pals We can help you get in touch with an unknown prisoner at Polunsky Unit to become Pen Pals.
- Inmate Visitation We know all the ins and outs of TDJC's visitation rules. If you have any problems with your visitation, DoNotPay can help.
How to Use DoNotPay to Connect With a Prisoner
You can connect with an inmate at Polunsky Unit by following these five easy steps:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
- Small claims court
- How to address a letter to an inmate
- Reduce Property Taxes
- Connect with an inmate at Polunsky Unit
- Compensation for victims of a crime
- Writing letters to inmates
- Chargebacks and Refunds
- Compensation For Robo Calls
- Recover Passwords
- Complete Debt Validation Letters
- Help With Bills
- Airline Flight Compensation Hacks