How Can I Send Money to an Inmate Using Western Union?
Inmates often have family members who wish to give money to help them during their time behind bars. Money transfers might be difficult if the sender is unsure of the process. You can now quickly and easily send money to an inmate using Western Union. Money can be sent to prison using Western Union either online or at a physical location.
Today, we'll examine how you can send money to an inmate using Western Union and how DoNotPay can help you.
Important Info About Sending Money to Inmates Through Western Union
A person's name and identification number are necessary starting points. You'll also need the name of the prison where the inmate is currently being held. Once you have the name and number, you need to know that Western Union limits each transaction to a maximum of $300. Be cautious not to include a "dash" in the entry for the number.
Currently, credit card payments are accepted for both the submission fee and the main transaction amount. When sending money to an inmate via WU, it's important to receive a receipt as proof. You are responsible for confirming, transmitting, and following any money transfer. As soon as your money transfer is processed, Western Union will send you a confirmation email with the MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number) for tracking purposes.
Ways to Send Money to Inmates Via Western Union
You can send money to an inmate via Western Union in 3 ways:
- Via App. Use the Western Union® app to send money on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- By Phone. Call the designated WU number to quickly send money to a specific correctional facility.
- In Person. Visit any Western Union agent to send money to an inmate.
|Western Union Details|
|App||Western Union® app|
|Online Support||Customer Care|
|WU Agent Locator||Find locations|
|Help Page||FAQ - Send Money to an Inmate|
What Happens if the Money Is Not Delivered to the Inmate?
It's fairly uncommon for money transfers to be unsuccessful, so if you attempt to send money to a prisoner and it doesn't arrive, don't panic. Money transfers are sometimes declined. Several factors, including Western Union's inability to verify your identification, have contributed to this.
Western Union has to follow the rules set out by regulators and Western Union's regulations. Your wire transfer request may be denied if these conditions are not satisfied. A visit to an Agent location might be worth a try if you were denied while attempting an online funds transfer.
Alternatives to Western Union for Sending Money to Inmates
Sending money via the mail is cheaper than using other services. Inmates cannot get funds from family members. Please don't give it to the detainee directly; rather, transfer it to a secure facility set aside by the Bureau of Prisons for inmate funds.
One additional option is to use an electronic funds transfer (EFT). Inmates should expect their money to appear in their accounts within 1–3 days. A trust fund or restitution account is the only place where friends and relatives may contribute money.
Listed below are EFT providers that may be used to transfer funds:
- Access Corrections
How DoNotPay Can Assist You to Keep in Touch With a Convict
Prisoner rehabilitation relies heavily on continued human interaction. Visiting and writing to inmates are equally vital. DoNotPay can help locate a prisoner if you have doubts about where they are currently doing their time. Launch our app from your browser and choose from the following options:
- Send a Personalized Letter
- Virtual Mailbox
- Locate Someone
How Can DoNotPay Help You Locate an Inmate?
If you wish to maintain contact with a prisoner, you must be aware of their precise location. Inmates can be tracked down quickly and easily with the help of DoNotPay.
- Use DoNotPay to find the Connect With an Inmate service.
- Select if you'd want to track out a lost loved one, set up an electronic mailbox, or compose and send a unique letter.
- Just tell us who you're looking for and in what state they're living, and we'll do our best to track them down. Then, we'll look into it further in the state's official records.
- Just enter your complete name and password to set up a personal email account! We'll create one for you to make it simple for your loved one to send you letter.
- Sending a letter to a loved one? Let us know which facility they are in and what you'd want to say to them. Upload a picture if you'd like! It will take around 10 days for your letter to reach its destination after it has been sent.
If you can supply this information, we will be able to tell you where the prison the inmate is being held in and what unit number they are assigned to. Then, you can choose the best method of maintaining contact with them like an inmate visitation.
How to Easily Address a Letter to an Inmate
It's not as easy or handy as you may think to write letters to those who are incarcerated. You can swiftly and effectively write to an inmate using a streamlined process that only takes a few steps if you choose to get assistance from DoNotPay.
You can rely on DoNotPay to help you write a letter to your jailed loved one after you have the inmate's location. Don't worry if you've never written to a prisoner before; we'll take care of the process of addressing the letter to the inmate for you. The only requirements are these:
- Access DoNotPay
- Look for the area labeled "Write an Inmate"
- Select the Send a Personalized Letter option
- Input the inmate's full name and identifying number
- Write the inmate a letter
- Please include photographs if you feel they may provide some joy to your pen pal in jail
- Make your letter stand out more by using a template
Your letter will be printed, sealed in an envelope, and sent to your inmate friend or family member.
How Else Can DoNotPay Assist You?
DoNotPay can be a helpful resource for those curious about the money transfer method for sending money to an inmate using Western Union.
If you have a loved one in prison and want to keep in touch with them, DoNotPay is the best way to do so. Additionally, DoNotPay can be used to:
- Track down any lost funds to which you are legally entitled
- Make sure your intellectual property is safe from theft
- Participate in a clinical trial by submitting an application