The Best Way to Get a Dakota County Birth Certificate
When you need a , it can be challenging to figure out the best way to apply. Here are all the ways you can accomplish this task quickly.
A birth certificate is an important form of identity, and it is considered a legal, government-issued ID. Sometimes it's time-consuming to submit a Dakota County birth certificate request, especially if you have moved out of state.
If you don't know where your birth certificate is or if it is damaged or lost, then this is for you. We'll guide you through the process, read on. Or choose the easy route and use DoNotPay to help get your Dakota County birth certificate quickly and easily—skip ahead to that section.
What is an Authorized Birth Certificate?
An authorized copy, or a certified one, is a legal ID, unlike a regular photocopy. It has a raised seal and a state registrar's signature. You will need this type of birth certificate to use it as a form of identification.
When Do You Need a Birth Certificate?
A birth certificate proves your identity and nationality. It contains your name and the date, time, and place where you were born. It also has your parents' names.
Here's when you may need a birth certificate:
- To start a new job
- To enroll in school
- To apply for a passport
- To apply for a marriage license
- To get a driver's license
Need a way to fast-track this process? Let DoNotPay handle your request. Or see the steps outlined below, and submit your application on your own.
Who Can Get a Birth Certificate in Dakota County, MN?
You can request an authorized copy of your birth certificate or you can request someone else's if you are:
- A spouse
- A sibling
- A legal guardian or legal representative
- A grandchild or grandparent
Otherwise, you can only get an informational copy.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Dakota County Birth Certificate?
It costs $26 for an authorized , MN. It will be a certified copy with a raised seal and can be considered a legal form of identification.
Make checks payable to Dakota County.
How to Get a Dakota County Birth Certificate On Your Own
There are several ways to submit an application and receive an authorized copy of a birth certificate in Dakota County, MN. Anyone born in Dakota County or any part of Minnesota can apply for a birth certificate at any office listed below. Follow these steps.
Visit DakotaCounty.gov to make an appointment at one of these five Dakota County Vital Records Offices, listed by the Minnesota Department of Health:
|County Auditor/Treasurer in Hastings||Dakota County Government Center
1590 Highway 55 Hastings
|Dakota County Northern Service Center in West St. Paul||1 Mendota Rd. W., Suite 130
West St. Paul, MN 55118
|Dakota County Lakeville License Center||20085 Heritage Dr.
Lakeville, MN 55044
|Dakota County Burnsville License Center||1101 W. County Road 42
Burnsville, MN 55306
|Robert Trail License Center||14395 S. Robert Trail
Rosemount, MN 55068
Here's What To Do Before Your Appointment
- Find the Birth Certificate Application form online at the Minnesota Health Department's Office of Vital Records or at the Dakota County website linked above. Download it, print it, fill it out, and bring it to one of the five Vital Records Offices in Dakota County listed above. Don't sign the form because you must sign it in front of a witness.
- Bring proof of your identity, such as a valid driver's license or passport—and sign the form in front of a deputy registrar after they look at your ID.
- If you don't have proof of identity, you must bring an identifying witness—a person who has known you for at least two years and has a valid ID.
How To Get A Dakota County Birth Certificate On Your Own Via Mail
Follow these steps to order your by yourself via snail mail.
- Navigate to DakotaCounty.gov at the link above. Find the "By Mail Application" and download it. Print it and fill it out.
- Sign the completed form in front of a notary.
- Mail the application and fees to:
Northern Service Center; Service Desk
1 Mendota Road West
West St. Paul, MN 55118
If you need help with this process and want to find a way to apply for a Dakota County birth certificate quickly and easily, you're in luck there is another way. Let DoNotPay help you follow all these steps with just a few clicks.
Use DoNotPay To Get a Dakota County Birth Certificate Quickly & Easily
If you want to order/get a birth certificate copy in Dakota County but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 8 easy steps:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Here's Why DoNotPay Is The Best Way To Get a Dakota County Birth Certificate
- It's Easy — You won't need to figure out if you are filling out the application correctly or providing the correct forms of identification. DoNotPay will walk you through the process effortlessly.
- It's Fast — Make sure there are no mistakes that will delay your application. DoNotPay will help you handle everything from your home with just a few clicks.
- DoNotPay Offers Virtual Services — If you need an online notary or check mailing services, we've got you covered.
And there’s a lot more you can do with the app.
Need To Know More About Birth Certificate Issues?
DoNotPay can also help answer questions such as:
- How do you get a birth certificate for a newborn baby?
- What is the best way to find your birth certificate?
- How can I get a birth certificate online?
- What is the fastest way to get a birth certificate?
- What is the processing time for a birth certificate?