File a Complaint Against Mr. Cooper In 3 Easy Steps

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

How to Reach the Mr. Cooper Complaint Line and Get Compensated

Mr. Cooper (formerly Nationstar Mortgage) issues non-bank mortgages to individuals seeking to make their housing opportunities more rewarding and less worrisome. However, you can if you have a problem with their products or services.

Some reviews note the following common Mr. Cooper complaints:

  1. Unresponsive customer help desk
  2. Non-issuance of refunds
  3. Exaggerated lender fee charges
  4. Unethical billing adjustments
  5. Double charges on late payment fees

Filing a complaint against a company is sometimes extremely frustrating. While most online funding sources are either scams or far different from what they advertise, most individuals find it hard to vet them. Therefore, it is advisable to hire reliable consultants such as DoNotPay to do the vetting for you.

How to Make a Complaint to Mr. Cooper

Suppose you are Mr. Cooper's customer and experiencing problems with your mortgage experience. In that case, you can seek help and by contacting the customer service desk online, using phone calls or emails, and using social media.


You can file an online complaint by creating a ticket in the messaging center when logged in to your account.

Phone Calls

The customer care help desk can be reached via 833-685-2566. From Monday to Thursday, Mr. Cooper's customer support is available from 7 AM to 8 PM CT. You also can reach the help desk between 7 AM - 7 PM CT on Fridays and 8 AM - 12 PM CT on Saturdays. Customer service is unavailable on Sundays.


To file a complaint, you can contact the customer relations officer at Mr. Cooper by emailing a letter to the address below:

Mr. Cooper

Attn: Customer Relations

PO Box 619098

Dallas, TX 75261-9741

If you are filing a complaint on behalf of a customer or cannot access the website, you can complete this form and send it via email or post it to the above address.

Social Media

You can use Mr. Cooper's active social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube) to launch your complaint by messaging them.

Here’s a summary of the contact information for Mr. Cooper:

Ways to Contact Mr. Cooper's Customer Support
Customer Service PageMr. Cooper Contact Page
Help CenterMr. Cooper Help Center
Phone Number+1-833-685-2565
Online Contact FormMr. Cooper Complaints Form

How to File Mr. Cooper Complaints

If you fail to get any assistance or satisfactory response from Mr. Cooper's customer help desk after launching a complaint, you can seek further assistance from the institutions below:

The Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending (Texas Residents)

The agency oversees the licensing and regulation of residential mortgage lending in Texas to protect the borrowers, depositors, and creditors' financial interests. If you're a Texas resident, you can launch Mr. Cooper's complaint with the Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending by visiting their website and filling out an online complaint form, which is duly signed.

You are required to disclose your identity and provide duplicates of all relevant supporting documents when submitting the filled complaint form. If you are disabled or need help completing the complaint form, call toll-free +1-877-276-5550 for assistance. Please note that a copy of the complaint launched is shared with the company you are complaining about.

The Department of Financial Service (for New York Residents)

The agency supervises the chartering, licensing, registration, and examination of mortgage bankers in New York. The residents of New York can report Mr. Cooper's complaint to the Department of Financial Services by visiting their website and filling out an online consumer complaint form available at the DFS portal. A copy of the complaint launched is shared with the company you are complaining about. You can also reach the department's consumer help unit at +1-800-342-3736.

The Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (For Illinois Residents)

The agency deals with residential mortgage licenses owned by non-bank institutions like Mr. Cooper. You can file Mr. Cooper's complaint by either filing a complaint form or calling 1-888-4REGUL8 or 1-312-793-1438. You are required to explain the nature of the unresolved complaint, how the institution you are complaining about addressed the complaint, and the expected resolution you are seeking.

Better Business Bureau (BBB)

You can file unresolved complaints or report misleading adverts against Mr. Cooper at the BBB. Be sure to:

  • Include your name, postal address, email address, and business name.
  • Provide the accurate location of the company you are complaining about
  • File complaints that have arisen within the last 12 months
  • File complaints that have not been resolved in a court of law

After filing a complaint with BBB, a copy of the complaint is sent to the company you are complaining about within two business days and you are expected to respond within two weeks. All complaints are resolved within 30 days.

Take Mr. Cooper to Small Claims Court if Your Issue Is Not Resolved

If the above institutions also fail to resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can escalate the issue to a small claims court if the funds owed are less than $20,000.

To pursue a small claims lawsuit against Mr. Cooper, you need to follow the steps below:

  1. Sign an affidavit that you have made efforts to settle the complaint outside the court of law.
  2. Contact the county clerk in the closest district where Mr. Cooper operates. If not, send demand letters to the company in the location where the contract was signed.
  3. Complete the "statement of claim" document at the county's clerk's office (at a fee).
  4. Send the filled-out "statement of claim" document to Mr. Cooper.
  5. Mr. Cooper will have 20-30 days to respond to the claims either by getting a refund or filing a counterclaim.
  6. If Mr. Cooper files a counterclaim, the company's representatives and the complainant (you) will go for a pretrial hearing. The defendant, in this case, Mr. Cooper, may settle the claim, failure to which the judge forwards the matter to a small claims court trial.
  7. The defendant (Mr. Cooper) and the complainant (you) take an oath at the small claims court.
  8. A ruling is issued.
  9. Collect the refunds on your own if you win the case.

Filing a small claims court is time-consuming, tedious, and complicated. But worry not, DoNotPay is here to make the process painless, fast, and easy.

Suing Mr. Cooper With DoNotPay Is Fast and Easy

As an individual, suing a company in small claims is time-consuming and complicated. It is also expensive as you must hire a lawyer to present your complaints to the court.

Here is a step-by-step guideline on how to file Mr. Cooper's complaints:

  1. Log in to DoNotPay and select the Complaint Letters product.

  2. Tell us how much you are owed by the company, if applicable.

  3. Select the reason for your lawsuit.

  4. Provide details about why you're filing the lawsuit including photographic proof and other important information.

After you provide details on why you are filing a lawsuit, DoNotPay will share the demand letter or complaint letters forms with Mr. Cooper within minutes.

What Other Organizations Can DoNotPay Assist in Filing Complaints Against It?

DoNotPay can help you with your issues with the following companies, as well:

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

DoNotPay can also assist you with:

Ask for instant help filing in a small claims court by signing up today!

Want your issue solved now?