How to Get Your Mississippi Birth Certificate
A birth certificate isn't something that's at the top of our minds, but it's something we need. If you need to obtain a copy of your Mississippi birth certificate , regardless of the reason, it 's important to know how you can get it hassle-free.
Unfortunately, getting documents such as a birth certificate can be quite time- consuming. You will need to fill out a formal request with your state government, have it notarized if necessary, print and sign it, and mail it along with your government-issued ID as well as your payment. For some people, knowing where to begin can leave them with a lot of questions.
How Do I Request a Birth Certificate in Mississippi?
You can request a birth certificate either online , by mail, by phone, or by visiting their Vital Records Office.
- Order online: You can order online using VitalChek's website.
- Order by Phone: You can order by phone through VitalChek by contacting the MSDH Vital Records Office at 601-206-8200.
- Order birth certificates in person: You can order birth certificates in person at the Mississippi State Department of Health Vital Records Office in Ridgeland, MS Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
How Much Is It to Get a Birth Certificate in MS?
The Mississippi Vital Records office issues certified birth certificates upon request. You can apply for multiple copies.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Birth Certificate Processing Fee|
|Mississippi Vital Records||222 Marketridge Dr
Ridgeland, MS 39157
|First Copy: $17.00 Additional Copies: $6.00|
How Long Does It Take to Receive Your Birth Certificate?
Processing time for birth certificates varies depending on the method of application.
- Standard orders are processed through USPS and typically take anywhere from 7-10 business days.
- Online and telephone orders can be expedited through USPS if requested and are processed anywhere from 3-5 business days.
Who Is Eligible to Receive a Birth Certificate?
There are rules set forth by The Mississippi State Department of Health in regard to who can obtain a certificate. This is important to note before purchasing online, calling by phone, or visiting the Vital Records Office.
According to MSDH, a certified copy of a birth certificate can be issued only to a person with a legitimate and tangible interest as defined by the Rules Governing the Registration and Certification of Vital Events. This includes:
- The registrant (the child named on record), if of legal age
- Parents listed on the birth records (assuming Vital Records have not been notified of the termination of parental records)
- Spouse, sibling(s), or grandparent(s) of a registrant
- Legal guardian
- A legal representative of one of the above persons
- Licensed adoption agencies working within the statutory authority of §93-17-205
- Other individuals by court order with a certified court order
What If My MS Birth Certificate Needs to be Corrected?
In rare cases, there may be an error with your birth certificate. If you receive your birth certificate and notice a minor error, you have an option to get it corrected. A minor correction, by error or omission, can be made by affidavit and documentation of the name to be used (first or middle name only), age, or date of birth (by one day only).
It's important to note that the documentation must show that the corrected name, date, or other information has been in use for at least 5 years. If you need to make a correction, you can contact The Mississippi State Department of Health's Amendments Department for additional information and required forms at 601-206-8200.
Use DoNotPay to Obtain Your MS Birth Certificate
DoNotPay offers the most simplified solution to obtaining your Mississippi birth certificate. In fact, you can obtain your birth certificate sitting in the comfort of your own home just by providing us with a few important details. If you need to request your birth certificate, read on to see our easy step-by-step guide on how you can do it.
Here's how it works:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Painless, right? Once you've completed all of the above steps, you're good to go. If you're ready to request your birth certificate with DoNotPay, get started with us today!