Get a Copy of Your Official Illinois Birth Certificate
Requesting a copy of your may be necessary for anyone born in Illinois who has lost or misplaced this essential proof of age, identity, and citizenship document. An may be a requirement for:
- Enrolling in school
- Obtaining a passport
- Seeking employment
- Applying for government benefits
- Joining the military
- Getting a driver's license
- Claiming a pension
- Receiving insurance benefits
Obtaining this indispensable record of age and identity from the Division of Vital Records within the Illinois Department of Public Health can be far from a straightforward process. Fortunately, there is an easier way to request your Illinois birth certificate with DoNotPay.
Illinois Official Birth Certificate Requests
Birth certificates for anyone born in Illinois are legally available as long as the individual is 18 years of age or older, is the legal parent, or is a legal guardian of record. A valid government-issued photo ID such as a driver's license or passport is required. If no government-issued photo ID is available, an Illinois birth certificate request may be submitted using one bill with your name and current address and one of the following:
- Medical or car insurance card
- Car registration
- Credit card statement
- Bank statement
- Paycheck stub
- Public assistance card
- Voter's registration card
- Active duty military ID
- Illinois Electronic Benefit Transfer Card
- Prison intake sheet containing photo
- Prison release papers and prison photo ID
|Illinois birth certificates over 75 years old||To obtain an Illinois birth certificate over 75 years old, an individual who might not otherwise be eligible may complete an application for Search of Birth Record Files.|
|Illinois birth certificates under 75 years old||If you’re requesting a birth certificate under 75 years old, the IDPH will review your submitted documentation to determine your eligibility to obtain a copy of the birth certificate.|
How to Request an Illinois Birth Certificate By Yourself
Requesting an Illinois birth certificate by yourself can be challenging and time-consuming under the best of circumstances. If you are the parent or legal guardian of a newborn child requesting a new Illinois birth certificate, attempting to replace a lost birth certificate, declare legitimation, change gender, or correct errors, the items on the request forms may vary.
Request forms and prices may also vary depending upon whether a short or long-form birth certificate is requested. Short-form birth certificate requests in Illinois are $10.00 for the first copy and $2.00 for each additional copy. Short-form birth certificates may not be considered acceptable by all government agencies. Long-form birth certificate requests are $15.00 and $2.00 for additional copies.
The following are the steps for obtaining an Illinois birth certificate by yourself.
- Fill out the appropriate request form with the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- Notarize it if necessary.
- Print and sign.
- Include copies of your government-issued ID.
- Include a check or money order with the request.
- Mail to your state vital records office.
Instructions for Requesting an Illinois Birth Certificate with DoNotPay
DoNotPay provides easy-to-understand and specific instructions for making an Illinois birth certificate request, so you can complete the entire process in one quick and easy step.
The DoNotPay instructions will carefully guide you through every question as you provide all of the information required to complete the request form so you can obtain your Illinois birth certificate in the least amount of processing time.
Here's how it works:
1. Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
2. Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
3. Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
4. Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
5. Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
6. Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
7. Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
8. If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
And that's it! Your birth certificate copy request will be sent and on its way! You should hear back from them within a few weeks with updates once your request has been processed.
Get IL Birth Certificates the Easy Way with DoNotPay
Using DoNotPay to obtain an Illinois birth certificate will help you avoid the messy bureaucracy, confusing government applications, and cumbersome payment processes. The entire DoNotPay birth certificate request is one single easy-to-use form. We take care of the rest. We understand that birth certificates are vitally important forms of identification, so don't let the process keep you from getting what you need. Let DoNotPay get your Illinois birth certificate today.