How to Write a Complaint Letter to Property Management
As a tenant, you might need to write a complaint letter to your landlord or property management company from time to time. The purpose of a complaint letter is to express your concerns about a problem with the property, and to document your concern. If you need help , you're in the right place.
DoNotPay can help. You can use the app to contact any organization—even big companies like Walmart and Walgreens—to file complaints effectively.
This article covers six points:
- How to write a complaint letter to property management
- Information to include in your complaint letter
- Formatting a complaint letter
- Common reasons to write a complaint letter to the apartment manager
- How DoNotPay can help you take your property manager to small claims court
- And other ways you can use the app to stand up for your rights
DoNotPay is on your side. Let's get started.
How to Write a Complaint Letter to Your Property Manager
Remember to maintain a . If you end up in court, the judge will undoubtedly wish to see a copy of it. So be clear, concise, and avoid any foul language.
Your letter should include:
- Your name
- Address of the unit (apartment number)
- Your contact information, like email address and phone numbers
- The property management company name and address
- Their contact information, like phone number and email address
- A date
- A description of the complaint
- Any photos of the problem
- A list of any other parties who will receive this letter
- Possible remedies
- What may happen if the situation is not fixed
- Your signature
Formatting a Complaint Letter to Your Property Management Company
Small claims court judges understand that most individuals aren't attorneys. Still, you need to send a professional-looking .
Points to remember:
- You can find formatting samples online.
- Choose one appropriate font, like Arial.
- If you write a letter by hand (not recommended), be sure to make a copy.
- Photos help.
Your complaint letter to the apartment manager should look like this:
The property manager's name
To Whom It May Concern
I have been experiencing a problem at Unit ABC since [date.] I have included photos of the problem.
I am also sending a copy of this letter and photos to [any local agency involved, like the Public Housing Authority or rental assistance program.]
Please remedy this quickly. If this problem isn't fixed, I will retain my rent payments and be forced to move.
Be sure to keep a copy, and send a copy to any other agencies involved. You can send these via regular snail mail if you like. But if you want to make an impression and be sure your property management company receives the letter by a specific date, use certified mail and request a signature.
Common Reasons to Write a Complaint Letter to Property Management
If the property is unsafe, unhealthy, or uninhabitable, you need to complain in writing. Examples include:
- Broken windows or broken glass
- Leaking roof or windows
- Dangerous activity in other apartments (guns, drugs, vicious dogs)
- Mold, dampness, mildew
- Pests, like roaches, mice or rats
- Problems with the trash removal
- Toilets that don't flush and drains that don't work
Other complaints that aren't related to your health but might be worth a rent reduction include:
- A non-functioning pool or hot tub, when you pay for that amenity
- Problems with fitness gym cards, or gate carts that don't work
If you don't hear back from your apartment manager, or if your problem isn't resolved, you can lodge formal complaints with local agencies, and even sue your property management company.
Take Your Property Manager to Small Claims Court With DoNotPay
If you need to move, or if your landlord tries to burn you by keeping your deposit or messing with your credit, DoNotPay can help.
Here's how to start a small claims lawsuit against your property management company with DoNotPay:
- Log-in to DoNotPay and select the Sue Now product.
- Tell us how much you are owed by the company, if applicable.
- Select the reason for your lawsuit.
- Provide details about why you're filing the lawsuit including photographic proof and other important information.
It's super fast and easy! We'll even craft a script you can use in court. This is important because people get nervous in court. We understand.
DoNotPay Has More Resources for You
You can use the app to make formal complaints against all kinds of companies. Try it for:
|Starbucks||One Shot Keto||Taco Bell||Somatic|
DoNotPay has a ton of resources specifically designed for renters. Use the app to:
- Learn more about your renter's rights in any state
- Find public housing help or rental assistance programs
- Stand up to shady landlords when they try to evict you
- Get your deposit back when you move
Check out DoNotPay today and get the help you need.