How to Remove a Non-Biological Father From Your Birth Certificate
You might be in for a huge hassle if you want to know While it sounds like it should be easy, you'll be disappointed because it's not, at least in most states. Specific criteria has to be met to get it done, so where do you even start?
DoNotPay has you covered. Let's look at why you would want to remove a non-biological father from your birth record, and how to go about doing it.
When Would a Non-Biological Father be on a Child's Birth Certificate?
Usually, the biological father would sign the birth certificate soon after the child is born. However, some decide that, for whatever reason, they don't want any part of the baby's life. This is when a person who's can step in and sign the document.
That typically happens when:
- The woman marries the non-biological father before the birth
- A person steps up to take responsibility for the child
- The person isn't aware they're not the biological father
Each state has its own rules on how that can be done. So consult your area to see what steps you need to take if you want someone added to the birth certificate even though they're not the biological father.
Why Would I Remove a Non-Biological Father from a Birth Certificate?
Having a father listed on the birth certificate ensures the child is protected by a legally responsible adult. It's best to have the biological father listed as one of the parents, but it's not always feasible. A non-biological person can accept the responsibility by signing the document in certain circumstances. However, there are times when a non-biological father can be down the road.
It's generally not recommended that you remove anyone from the birth certificate, regardless of whether it's the biological father or not. But, in specific cases, it might be necessary. The table below shows more information.
|Reasons to remove a non-biological father on a birth certificate||
Even if you have a valid reason to , it will be difficult to accomplish.
Depending on the state laws where you live, you usually have to give an acceptable reason for wanting the person's name removed. Often, this must be done through the court system.
How to Remove a Non-Biological Father from a Birth Certificate
If you want to know how to remove a non-biological father from a birth certificate, check with your state's laws to determine what steps you'll need to take. Each situation will require different actions, so feel free to consult a professional if you need to. Some areas won't require a court order to change it, but most states do, so be sure to check to see if you need to go to court to accomplish your request.
If you need a court order, you should seek help from a local lawyer. In most cases, it can get a little challenging when you have to stand before a judge to request a name change on an official document.
Before you get to court, though, there will be a few things you need to have on hand.
- A copy of the authorized certified birth certificate
- DNA parental test if needed for the case, consult the lawyer first
- A signed affidavit from the non-biological father and sometimes biological father
To present the court with a DNA parental test proving someone isn't the biological father, you must have a court-approved test done, not a home test. Oftentimes, this will be required if the father listed on the certificate found out he isn't the biological father and no longer wants the legal responsibility for the child.
You may also be asked to provide the court with a signed affidavit from the non-biological father stating they on the certificate. In some states, you may also need the biological father's signature.
How Can DoNotPay Help When Removing a Non-Biological Father from a Birth Certificate?
Since one of the most important components of getting a non-biological father removed from an official document is obtaining an authorized certified birth certificate, it's essential you get every step done right. By signing up for DoNotPay, you can be assured you're getting the proper documents you need to accomplish what you want for your child.
First, you’ll need an authorized copy of the birth certificate as it is.
To get one, simply:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- 5*. Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Once we get all the information, we'll send the request to the proper authorities. When they receive the request, they'll get back to you with any questions they may have or with updates on the status of the birth certificate request. After a few weeks, you should have the authorized version of the document to take to court.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do to Help With Birth Certificates?
DoNotPay can help you get a birth certificate no matter why you need it. Also, they can help you find information on:
- Where to get a birth certificate for a passport
- Where to apply for a birth certificate
- How to replace a lost birth certificate
- What you need to apply for a birth certificate for a newborn
- What steps you need to take to find a birth certificate
- How long it takes to get a birth certificate
- How to get a birth certificate online
- How you can get copies of birth certificates fast
If you need help obtaining a copy of your birth certificate for any reason, just sign up for DoNotPay, and we can help you with the process quickly and easily. Remove a non-biological father from your birth certificate today!