If Anti-SMS Spam and Text Filters on Your Phone Don’t Suffice, Use DoNotPay!
Spam is here to stay. The more we use our electronic gadgets and increase the time spent online, the easier spam finds a way to reach us. Ranging from robocalls to spam emails, spam takes different disguises. Spam text messages are gaining momentum lately, and they are particularly annoying.
Reaching for your phone to check the latest notification only to realize it’s an unsolicited text from an email address or a group text with a suspicious-looking link is disappointing enough. Spam text messages can also incur some serious financial damage.
Depending on your cell phone plan, you might be charged for all those unnecessary incoming messages. Even more dangerous is opening links from unknown senders since they can contain malware that spreads through your phone and steals all your sensitive information.
How To Recognize Spam Text Messages
Spam text senders are getting more and more creative, and precaution is advised when you get texts from unknown numbers. Some general characteristics that can help identify a potentially dangerous spam text are:
- It comes from a company you trust but contains a lot of typos and links with not-quite-right URLs
- The text’s content pushes you to act immediately upon some warning
- It offers free prizes, discounts, and gifts for no reason
- It uses generic, impersonal greetings
Your Phone Comes With Anti-SMS-Spam and Text Filters That Can Help
Realizing how dangerous spam text messages can be pushed phone manufacturers to spend more time on developing built-in solutions for fighting spam of all kinds, including unsolicited SMS. The available options differ based on which phone you use.
Anti-SMS Spam and Text Filters on iPhones
Apple started paying more attention to spam texts with iOS 11, improving the feature with every new iteration. If you haven’t turned on this feature by now, here’s how you can do it on the latest iOS versions:
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and tap on Messages
- Find Filter Unknown Messages (it’s way down on the list of settings)
- Tap on the toggle button to make it active
In the default messaging app, you will notice a new tab named Unknown Senders. Messages from unsaved contacts will immediately go there and won’t trigger a notification when received. Make sure to check this inbox from time to time so you don’t miss important texts from people whose numbers you haven’t saved.
If an occasional spam text pushes through, use the default iPhone options to block texts one by one.
Anti-SMS-Spam and Text Filters on Android Phones
The Android ecosystem is more diverse, and even though most features are available to all users, some options might not exist across all phone brands powered by this operating system. Check if your phone has a built-in text filter by following these steps:
- Go to the Messages app
- Tap on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner and select Settings
- Choose your SIM card
- Select Spam protection
- Tap on the toggle button next to Enable spam protection
In case you’re not satisfied with the filter’s efficiency, you can always stop spam texts on Android by blocking the sender.
Cell Carriers’ Anti-SMS Spam and Text Filters
Besides phone manufacturers, major cell carriers have joined the game of fighting spam text messages. While most of their solutions are oriented towards spam calls, some carriers offer tools to stop unwanted SMS. The table below offers an overview of available options:
Blocks page on My Verizon
Third-Party Apps That Work as Anti-SMS Spam and Text Filters
The App Store and Google Play are full of apps that promise increased text spam protection. Some of the most popular are:
From $0.99 per month to $5.99 per year
From $0.99 to $30 for in-app purchases
Get Revenge on Scammers With DoNotPay
Some unsolicited text messages can contain links to scammy websites that will ask you to enter your credit card details under different pretenses. Scammers know how to be creative, but when they try to scam DoNotPay users—the joke’s on them.
DoNotPay has a foolproof method of dealing with text-message scammers who want to steal your money. It is fast and simple:
- Create your account in a web browser
- Log in and select Robo Revenge
- Click on Create Your Card
- Enter the virtual credit card details on the scam website
Don’t worry, your money is safe because DoNotPay’s virtual credit cards are not connected to bank accounts. We will use them to get your scammer’s information when they try to make a charge. Once you find out who is trying to scam you, you can even sue them with DoNotPay’s help. This method can work also on commercial spam texts that are illegal under the CAN-SPAM Act.
How To Report Spam Texts
Reporting spam texts helps with protecting whole communities and ensuring you’re never bothered by the same message again. You can use one of these reporting methods:
- Check the default spam reporting options in the messaging app you use
- Forward the spam text to 7726 (SPAM) for all major carriers
- File a complaint on the Federal Trade Commission’s website
More Tips To Keep Your Phone Safe
As the spam pandemic spreads, your best protection is to stay updated and informed about what you can do against this menace. Besides using the options discussed above, check out additional suggestions for better protection of your phone and personal data:
- Check the sender’s number online before texting back STOP to unsubscribe
- Be selective about leaving personal information online
- Don’t keep your passwords in the notes on your phone
- Avoid clicking on links in messages sent by unknown senders
- Install antivirus and anti-malware software on your phone
- Disconnect from the internet and change your passwords if you have a reason to believe you’ve been exposed to a text scam
Do More With DoNotPay
Finding your way around bureaucratic issues can be confusing, and hiring a lawyer is not always an option since the costs can go through the roof. DoNotPay offers help with many administrative problems, whether you need to fight workplace harassment or contest parking tickets in Chicago and other major cities.
All of our tools and features are available when you access DoNotPay from a web browser. The solutions we offer include:
- Getting refunds or compensation for delayed or canceled flights
- Getting revenge on annoying robocalls
- Challenging speeding tickets
- Solving issues with credit cards
- Getting rid of spam text messages
- Taking care of the bills you don’t know how to pay
- Getting rid of unnecessary subscriptions and memberships
- Disputing traffic tickets
- Jumping the queue when contacting customer support centers
- Getting refunds from various companies
- Contesting parking tickets
- Putting an end to stalking and harassment
- Filing lawsuits against people and companies in small claims court
- Setting up DMV appointments with no fuss
- Signing up for free trials risk-free
- Stopping spam mail