410100 Spam Text Scam—Learn How To Stay Safe
In 2017, a new type of scam attack appeared in circulation. The attackers send SMS text messages from the 410100 area code numbers imitating banks and other valid companies and asking the victims to reconfirm or unblock their accounts. The scammers include a phone number to call in the fraudulent texts. If you call the provided number, an automated bot will ask for your Social Security number or your billing info.
What are the Principles and Dangers Behind the 1 410 Text Messages Spam?
A 410 spam text scam is a type of phishing attack. As the primary point of contact is the SMS text message, those are called SmiShing attacks (yes, that term is a thing). Let’s discuss how those frauds actually work.
How Did a Scammer Get My Number?
Absolute online privacy is next-to-impossible to achieve. If you’ve typed in your phone number anywhere online, the chances are high that this information ends up for sale. There are even whole companies dedicated to Crawler or Spider production. Those software programs compile databases containing personal info. Usually, they gather the details from multiple sources.
What Comes Next?
Scammers use the gathered data to send SMS texts in bulk. They rely on free SMS messaging services to reach out to a vast number of potential victims. Usually, they will try to emulate the well-known service—like Netflix, HBO, Grammarly, Amazon, or any other service you genuinely use.
- There was a problem with your (Bank, Netflix, Amazon….etc.) account. Please, call (xxx) xxx-xxx to have it resolved
- Your credit card was used for a shady transaction in Miami. Due to this, we blocked your credit card. Please, give us a call at (xxx) xxx-xxxx to unblock.
- Your tax rebate is pending your information. Give us a call to claim $xxxx immediately.
The number they ask you to call won’t be a 1-410 number — it will be as close as it gets to the actual service phone number.
What Is the Scammer’s Final Goal?
There are two methods that scammers can use to trick you. The first one is calling the “fake” number, where a robocall machine will pick up and ask you for your billing and personal info that can be abused.
The second is clicking a link in the SMS that will auto-install malicious software to your phone. Such software will give the scammers insight into everything you do, including the login info you use on valid websites and portals.
Where Lies the Danger From the Area Code 410 Spam Text Fraud?
In both cases mentioned above, the scammer will get your important and confidential info. They can abuse it for unauthorized transactions, opening accounts, or getting a loan or a credit card on your behalf.
Use DoNotPay To Make 410100001 Spam Text Senders Lose Money
DoNotPay is all about protecting the customers from abuse. Whether it’s a company refusing to issue you a refund or scammers trying to rip you off for your hard-earned money, we are here to help and protect you.
When it comes to dealing with the scammers, here’s how our service works:
- Go to DoNotPay and select Robo Revenge
- Click on Create Your Card
- Our app will generate a fake credit card number and other necessary information for you
- Use the generated false info and provide it to the scammers
Once the abuser tries to get your money, we will uncover their identity. You can use these details to demand financial compensation. Bam! You’ve successfully scammed a scammer.
We can support you in bringing the scammer to small claims court. If anyone has violated your rights in any fashion, DoNotPay makes it simple to sue organizations in small claims court.
Our app has been awarded the Louis M. Brown Award for Legal Access by the American Bar Association.
Open DoNotPay in your web browser, and use the world’s best robot lawyer to fight against the abuse.
How To Identify Spam Text Messages?
Spam messages usually follow similar patterns. Here are some of the common approaches the scammers use to trick you.
Free Stuff Scams
The fraudulent SMS (or email, for that matter) will try to lure you into accepting some unexpected gain. Winning a gift card, getting a free product, an unexpected USPS package delivery, or claiming your refund are but some of them. Free bitcoin offers are the most recent twist noted by users and scam preventing agencies.
410100001 Spam Text—Scare Tactics
A second approach they might use is a scare-tactics fraud. Scammers will claim that your account is blocked or near expiry. The worst tactics are the frauds claiming your close friend or a relative is in trouble and needs your urgent financial help to bail out.
What To Do if You Keep Getting Spam Texts From Area Code 410?
Here is a list of recommended actions in the case that you received and recognized a 410100 spam message:
|Ignore||In the case of scam messages, ignoring them is the way to go. By not taking any actions, you leave the scammers empty-handed|
|Block numbers on your phone||This will prevent you from receiving more messages from suspicious senders|
|Never click on links in SMS messages||It will keep your phone safe from malicious software that may compromise your data|
|Install a spam blocking app||Such apps are not perfect but will significantly reduce the number of fraudulent offers you get|
|Report the offender||You will not only protect yourself but also keep other users from being scammed|
Are All Spam Text Messages Illegal?
According to the Federal Trade Commission regulations, sending unsolicited or commercial text (or email, for that matter) messages is illegal unless you have explicit permission from the recipient.
Robotext notifications from government agencies, charities, and political campaigns are exempt from this rule.
How To Block 1 410 Spam Texts?
Fortunately, mobile phone software comes with the blocking feature. Here is how to block the unsolicited sender.
If You Are an iPhone User
Whether you got the unsolicited message as SMS, FaceTime, or iMessages, follow these steps:
- Tap the Info button next to the contact you want to block
- Scroll down
- Hit Block this caller or Block this contact
If You Are an Android Phone User
To block the specific number, you need to:
- Open the Messaging app
- Select the spam SMS
- Tap three dots (more menu)
- Select People & Options
- Select Block
- On the confirmation pop-up, select Block
How To Report 410100 Spam Texts?
If you want to report spam texts, there are few options available:
Report to your mobile provider
Forward the fraudulent SMS to 7726 (SPAM). All of the mobile service providers agreed on this as a number for reporting the fraud
Report to the Federal Trade Commission
File a report to the FTC through their dedicated form
Check DoNotPay Knowledgebase To Learn More About Spam Texts
Safety lies in knowledge. Check our learning center for additional info on:
- How to stop spam texts on iPhone
- Blocking spam texts on Android
- CAN-SPAM Act on text messages
- Spam text messages
- Spam texts from email addresses
- Group text spam
What Else Can DoNotPay Help With?
Let our app guide you through the exhausting and time-devouring chores. Open the app in your web browser to check why so many users admire our services.
We can help you to:
- Dispute traffic tickets
- Get rid of spam text messages
- Jump the phone queue when calling customer service reps
- Get refunds and compensation for delayed or canceled flights
- Request refunds from other companies
- Cancel subscriptions or memberships
- Get revenge on robocallers
- Sue people and companies in small claims court
- Schedule a DMV appointment fast and easy
- Sign up for free trials risk-free
- Free yourself from spam mail forever
- Contest parking tickets
- Deal with bills you are unable to pay
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- Fight speeding tickets
- Deal with credit card problems
- Apply for clinical trials
- Sign up for services without phone verification
- Find any unclaimed funds under your name
- Get in touch with your incarcerated loved ones
- Protect your work against copyright infringement