All You Need To Know About The Smith Unit
The Smith Unit or the Preston E. Smith Unit is a maximum-security prison located in Lamesa, Texas, Dawson County. The prison houses about 2,234 male prisoners in various levels of security. It sits on 563 acres of land.
Inmates at the Smith Unit prison receive adult basic education classes, vocational skills, and there are also agricultural practices in the facility. If you have a loved one at this prison, you can visit them, send them money, call or write them a letter as long as you follow the proper rules and regulations.
Where is Smith Unit Prison Located?
The Smith Unit is located three miles on FM 827 East off Hwy 87 South in Dawson County. Here is all the contact information you need to get in touch with an inmate at the Smith Unit.
|Physical Address||Preston E. Smith Unit
1313 CR 19
Lamesa, TX 79331-1898
|Phone Number||(806) 872-6741|
How to Contact Inmates at the Smith Unit
You can connect with inmates at the Smith Unit through various channels. Some of the best ways to connect with the inmates include:
- In-person visitation.
- You can write letters to the inmates.
- Through telephone calls.
Visiting hours for the general population inmates at the facility are Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, While visits with inmates in the expansion cellblock are by appointment only.
The visitation periods last about two hours. Each inmate is allowed one visit per weekend by two adults. Children (below 18 years) are not counted in the visiting number.
Before visiting an inmate at the Smith Unit, you must fill out an application to get approval from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
How to Send Money and Packages to Inmates at the Smith Unit
Besides visitation and letters, you can also send money and e-messages to inmates at the Smith Unit. There are several ways you can send money to inmates at the Smith Unit.
You can use JPay to send the funds using Visa or Mastercard credit and debit cards. You can also use ECOMMDIRECT, which allows you to send money to an inmate. Whether you use online or snail mail to send money, you need the inmate's ID number and name.
Alternatively, friends and family can make purchases for eligible offenders each quarter. The maximum sum you can spend is $60 for the first three quarters and $85 from October through December.
Packages and inmate letters have to be addressed properly. You can use the following inmate mailing address:
Inmate Name, TDCJ ID Number
1313 County Road 19
Lamesa, TX 79331
Steps to Take Before Contacting an Inmate
Before contacting an inmate, you need to follow several steps to get clearance. Here are some of the steps you should follow when submitting a request to contact an inmate at the Smith Unit.
- It's important to know where the inmate is located before contacting them. Call and letter postage rates will vary depending on whether the inmate is within the state or outside. If you don't know how to find an inmate, DoNotPay has a feature to help you. Through our easy and effective Connect With an Inmate Feature, you can locate an inmate in any facility within the country. You can try out the feature by logging in to your DoNotPay account from your web browser.
- Find the Connect With an Inmate tab and select Locate someone. Add the inmate's name and the state they're in.
DoNotPay will return the current location of the inmate within seconds. It is a safe, easy and fast application.
Difficulties You May Experience With Contacting Inmates at the Smith Unit
Contacting a loved one in prison is a paperwork-intensive and bureaucratic process riddled with frustrations and setbacks. Some of the challenges you're likely to face include:
- Communication and visitation are closely monitored.
- Abrupt cancellations and postponements of visitation.
- High letter postage rates and telephone rates.
- Communication hours are limited.
Get in Touch With Your Loved One via DoNotPay
DoNotPay can ease the frustrations of getting in touch with a loved one in prison and make the process easier and more fruitful using only five easy steps;
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
You can also use DoNotPay for other common but equally challenging tasks like:
- Getting a prison pen pal
- Jumping the queue when getting in touch with customer service reps
- Revenging robocalls
- Getting refunds from airlines for delayed and canceled flights
- Protecting yourself from harassment and stalking
- Applying for clinical trials
DoNotPay can make the process of getting in touch with your loved one easier. It can also help you solve the most common challenges. Get in touch today to learn more about how DoNotPay can help.