Yes, Resort Cleaning Fees Can Be Waived for Service Animals
Staying at a resort is a great way to refresh, unwind, and treat yourself to a luxurious experience. If you happen to have a service animal, finding a resort that accepts your companion with open arms is a fantastic experience. But some resorts charge exorbitant service animal cleaning fees.
What Are Resort Fees?
Resort fees are an extra expense that resorts charge guests in addition to the nightly cost outlined when a booking is made. These fees can often come as a surprise to guests, especially considering resorts are often chosen for their all-inclusive promises. These surprising fees can add up and make a resort stay too expensive of a trip. Knowing about these fees, however, is only half the battle. It takes research and work to avoid resort fees.
What Types of Fees do Resorts Charge?
The type of fees you may be charged at a resort depends entirely on the resort you're interested in staying at. However, certain resort fees are more common than others:
Common Resort Surcharges
|Common Resort Fees||
|Less Common Resort Fees||
Can Resorts Charge a Service Animal Cleaning Fee?
This is where things can get tricky, and why DoNotPay wants to help you avoid unnecessary fees. Resorts can charge an extra fee when it comes to having an animal stay with you. This extra fee is often explained as a liability for potential damage to property, or due to extra cleaning needed to be done if an animal was in the room.
- However, resorts cannot charge an extra fee for a certified service animal.
- Note that there is a difference between a certified service animal and an emotional support animal.
Genuine Service Animals Should be Exempt from Cleaning Fees
Yes, under the ADA, you cannot be charged an additional fee due to having a service animal. This is due to the need for a service animal, as well as the service animal being highly trained and specialized for accompanying their owner at all times. You and your service animal are given rights that hotels and resorts are forced to follow.
Yet, some hotels are following behind. This is why you need to know and understand the law when it comes to service animals and resort fees.
What to Do if You Get Charged a Service Animal Cleaning Fee
This is where doing your research, understanding the law, and knowing who to talk to will allow additional fees to be waived. However, the main takeaways you need to know are:
- Resorts are not allowed to charge extra fees for service animals.
- This is mandated by the ADA.
- Have your service animal certification and identification card with you while traveling to your resort.
- Understand that you and your service animal must abide by the resort's general rules and regulations.
DoNotPay can Help
Knowing which resort fees you're able to waive and how to waive them can be a complicated and extremely time-consuming process.
It can also be frustrating and hidden expenses can add up. This becomes even more convoluted when you're relying on your service animal and knowing you have to understand the legality behind fees and extra costs. Let DoNotPay help you make the process easier.
We will help you do the homework to waive unnecessary fees. We understand the law, we know who to talk to, and we know when in the process to do this in order to completely avoid additional costs. Here's all you need to know.
How to Fight Back Against Service Animal Cleaning Fees
If you want to get your service animal cleaning fees waived, but don’t know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in four easy steps:
- Go to the Hotel Bill Negotiations product on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few questions about your hotel bill, which charges you want to have refunded, and the details of your reservation.
- Tell us whether this is for a past reservation or you're still at the hotel (this helps us decide whether negotiation or chargeback is a better option for your case).
- Choose whether you want us to contact the front desk or general manager (if you've already tried contacting the front desk already).
DoNotPay can Help
DoNotPay will help you easily, securely, and efficiently avoid unnecessary resort fees. We understand the laws when it comes to your service animal, and we won't allow resorts to break them and cost you extra money. It works for any resort, even big hotels in Las Vegas.
All you have to do is share information about your booking, your particular situation, and any other information you feel may be helpful. We will take it from there and ensure your vacation is free from stress. Let us do the work for you. Sign up today!