Different Types of Fees in Maui Hotels: Booking Reservation, Cleaning, Damage Waiver, GE, and Tat Taxes
Maui is an Island with amazing scenic attractions, including beautiful beaches, mountain peaks, and ranges. It's famous for surfing, hiking, and wild reserves. There are also many wonderful hotels with luxurious amenities for you to stay in Maui.
However, some hotels overcharge their customers, and it may take you time to find the best offers. Some take advantage of customers by seemingly charging less only to double or triple their bill at the payment page. That's why it's important to understand what booking, cleaning, damage, resort, and tax fees are.
In this article, we'll discuss what fees your hotel will charge you in Maui and ways you can ask for a waiver with DoNotPay.
Why Do Hotels Charge Extra Fees?
Before you check into a hotel, beware of extra charges that might show up in your bill. Do extensive research on the hotel management to see if they're honest. Due to fierce competition from Airbnb and other hotels, most facilities charge you extra fees to make a profit.
Nowadays, hotels collect over $1 billion in surcharges and extra fees each year. These are charges for things you might not need, and often you don't need the services charged in extra fees. The fees include resort fees, early check-in fee, booking reservation fee, cleaning fee, damage fees, and GE and tat taxes.
Types of Fees Maui Hotels Charge?
Let's discuss the mandatory fees hotels in Maui will charge you:
Booking Reservation Fees.
- A booking res fee is charged for booking a room in a hotel. Some hotels claim the fee is non-refundable, and you may need to pay extra if you want to cancel. To be on the safe side, get a legal expert to translate the agreement before you pay a reservation fee.
- Many hotels will charge a cleaning fee, which they use to hire a housekeeper and buy equipment and supplies required to clean your room. The hotel will set a fee with some ranging from $200 to $300 depending on room size.
- This is a non-refundable fee charged by the hotel to cover any accidental damages that may occur during your stay. However, according to Maui Resorts Policies | Maui Resorts by Sullivan Properties, you're responsible for damages that exceed $1500.
GE and TAT Taxes
- Often you'll see your hotel costs rise by more than 20% due to taxes In Maui. These include GE taxes, which are taxes imposed on the business, and TAT taxes, which hotels must pay for accommodating you.
- Most resorts will charge extra for additional services and products they offer. Most resorts don't give you the option to opt-out of services you don't need and the charges will show up in your bill anyway.
Hacks to Pay Less for Your Hotel Stay
When added, these charges can increase your bill by up to 100%, which can be frustrating. However, there are tricks you can pull to try and avoid these charges:
|Find Hotels That Don’t Charge Extra Fees||If a hotel charges you for services you don't need, you can outsource at a cheaper price. Find out if they offer the option to avoid unnecessary services. If they don't allow you to opt out, find alternative hotels with more reasonable policies.|
|Buy Used Reservations||Some travelers buy hotel reservations but end up disposing of them when they change their minds. You can buy these reservations at a lower price to save your booking fees.|
|Negotiate for Lower Prices||If you're not using things like Wifi, parking, and other resort fees, you may direct your concerns to the manager to get your fees lowered. This is especially effective if there's a technical problem in the facility that can prevent you from using the services.|
Lower Your Pay During Your Hotel Stay With the Help of DoNotPay
If you want to lower your hotel bill but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 easy steps:
- Go to the Hotel Bill Negotiations product on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few questions about your hotel bill, which charges you want to have refunded, and the details of your reservation.
- Tell us whether this is for a past reservation or you're still at the hotel (this helps us decide whether negotiation or chargeback is a better option for your case).
- Choose whether you want us to contact the front desk or general manager (if you've already tried contacting the front desk already).
Why Use DoNotPay to Lower Your Hotel Bill in Maui
With DoNotPay, you can't go wrong. The product is designed to present the best case so you can win cases faster and at a lower cost.
The top reasons to use DoNotPay are:
- Fast—You don't have to spend hours trying to solve the issue
- Easy—You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in solving your problem
- Successful—You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
You can also rely on DoNotPay for additional legal services that you might find hard to tackle yourself. Additional resources you might find helpful include:
- Can you refuse to pay resort fees in Vegas
- Parking tickets
- Chargebacks and refunds
- Create passport photos
- Child travel consent
- File a complaint
- Tourist visa
If you want the best deals in Maui, you must do extensive research to find out how much hotels charge in the area. DoNotPay can help you find the most suitable hotel for you or reclaim overcharges on your card during your stay. Register for DoNotPay today and find out how they can help lower your hotel bill.