How to Correct Wrong Information on a Marriage Certificate
Having an error on a marriage certificate could be as bad as having no certificate. Therefore, it's important to ensure that the information on your marriage certificate is accurate and verifiable so that it can be used in legal matters.
is going to cause a huge hassle in your life. Every state in the US has an elaborate, time-consuming, frustrating procedure to follow when making corrections to your marriage certificate. You'll also be required to provide evidence that shows the accuracy of the information you want to be corrected.
While an error in a marriage certificate is not good, it gets worse if you end up misplacing or losing your marriage certificate. DoNotPay has a Marriage Certificate product that can help you get copies of your marriage certificate without hassle so that you can have the information corrected.
Who Can Apply for Corrections on a Marriage Certificate?
A marriage certificate is confidential and can only be corrected at the request of the following people.
- Any of the marriage parties – bride or groom
- Anyone with a State Court order
What Information Will Be Required to Apply for Corrections on the Marriage Certificate?
In your application, you'll be required to submit the following.
- Personal information of the people in the certificate.
- Return the original certificate so that you can be presented with a new corrected certificate.
- Documents to prove the correction you want
- Proof of your identity.
Every State Has a Different Procedure for Correcting Wrong Information on a Marriage Certificate
Different states will require you to provide different documents depending on the type of correction you want on your marriage certificate. For example, if you are in New York State, you'll require the following documents, as shown in the table below.
|For example, correct wrong information on a marriage certificate in NY, you will need:
How to Correct Wrong Information on a Marriage Certificate by Yourself
If you notice an , your best bet is to correct it right away. You'll first need to find out the procedures laid down by your state's vital records department on the correction of errors in marriage certificates and then proceed to apply.
Ensure that you present all the information required and the documents to prove your claims so that the correction process can be successful.
Also, you'll need to prepare yourself for the payments needed to get a copy of your corrected marriage certificate. Each state may charge different amounts. For example, New York State corrects the marriage certificates free of charge, but you'll be required to pay $10 for a copy of the certified copy of the marriage certificate and $30 for other copies (in case you need more than one).
The general process for correcting wrong information on your marriage certificate is as follows.
- Fill out an affidavit for correction of the marriage certificate. You can find it on your state's vital records page. If you cannot download the affidavit online, you may need to contact the clerk's office for guidance.
- Prepare the original documents you'll need to support your correction requests. You'll also need to submit original documents, which will be sent back to you after the process is completed.
- Complete the payment as calculated so that the copies you need can be mailed to you after the corrections have been made.
As you can see, it’s a huge hassle to fix the incorrect information on your marriage certificate by yourself. It’s even harder for folks who struggle with English or have limited literacy skills. Luckily, DoNotPay makes it easy to .
How Can DoNotPay Help?
DoNotPay comes in handy when you need to get a copy of your marriage certificate, whether it has errors or not. Once you get a certified copy, you can proceed with your request for corrections.
Here's how DoNotPay works.
- Go to the product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
And that's it! Your marriage certificate copy request will be sent and on its way! You should hear back from them within a few weeks with updates once your request has been processed.
Learn More About Marriage Certificates with DoNotPay
DoNotPay can help you learn the following.
- Copy of a marriage certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Online marriage certificate
- Marriage certificate online apply
- How to fill out a marriage certificate
- Marriage certificate documents
Join DoNotPay today to order a certified copy of your marriage certificate!