How to Get a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
Getting a copy of your marriage certificate should be easy. You should be able to produce your marriage certificate documents and fill out your marriage certificate application, but it can be complex.
This guide will explain how confusing it can be to get your marriage certificate, how time-consuming it is to do it by yourself, and how DoNotPay can help.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses
Generally, a marriage license permits you to get married, and a marriage certificate is your proof of marriage and is given to you after the ceremony. This is not true in all states; however, in Utah, for example, they are the same document.
Who Can Get a Marriage Certificate Copy?
- In most states, you must be the person on the record or an immediate family member to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate.
- In many states, they have a non-certified copy that is open to anyone. It depends on if the state is an open or closed record state.
|How much does it cost?||Every state charges a different fee|
|How long does it take?||Generally, between three and five weeks|
|What documents do I need?||A completed application form, an official form of ID, and a stated reason for wanting the certificate|
How to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate by Yourself
Most states give you three ways to request your marriage certificate.
- You can order online using a debit or credit card for an additional fee.
- You can visit the office yourself after work or during your lunch hour.
- You can mail in your application by using a check.
There are problems with all of these solutions. Most online companies charge an additional fee to search for your marriage certificate, and with a fee that can reach 40 dollars or more, it's not a small matter. There's also a risk in giving you information to a company you don't know on the internet. No one wants to have their identity stolen.
Most state offices are only open from 8 to 4:30, which is not convenient if you work and writing a check or getting a money order is simply a hassle.
Next steps for getting a copy of your marriage certificate if you can't do it yourself
You can send a relative or legal representative to get it for you, but they will run into the same problems as you. If you pay a legal representative to get it for you, there's still the problem of the extra fee. Don't go through the hassle. Let DoNotPay handle it quickly and easily.
Get a copy of your marriage certificate instantly with the help of DoNotPay.
Online services charge an exorbitant fee for getting your certificate online, and no one wants to write a check. So let DoNotPay jump through the hoops and over the hurdles and make life easy for you.
If you want to Order/Get a Marriage Certificate Copy but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why you should use DoNotPay to order a copy of your marriage certificate
DoNotPay has helped thousands of people get their marriage certificates, and they can help you too.
- Fast: You don't have to wait weeks for the information.
- Easy: We deal with the hassle for you.
- Successful: We are experienced in getting official state certificates.
What else can DoNotPay do?
DoNotPay can help you do so many things quickly and easily for more information click here!