How to Easily Obtain a Polk County Marriage Certificate
A is a legal document that proves two individuals are married. The marriage certificate can come in handy when legally changing your name to your spouse's name, sharing health benefits, filing taxes, or arranging property succession to a spouse. DoNotPay has a more convenient and quicker way to get a marriage certificate in Polk county. Through our Certificates of Marriage product, you can digitally apply and request certified copies straight from your laptop anywhere and at any time.
Who May Apply for a Marriage License in Polk County?
Both parties must apply for a . You must be 18 years of age to apply for the license. If the person is at least 17, they must provide parental consent and proof the older party is not more than two years than the younger party to the marriage.
Is There a Waiting Period for the License Issuance?
Yes, there is a 3-day waiting period if at least one of the parties is a resident of Florida. However, the waiting period can be waived if the parties provide proof of having completed premarital counseling from a provider recommended by the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Polk County.
What Are the Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License in Polk County?
The following are the typical requirements to obtain a marriage license in Polk County:
- Applicants must affirm they read the Marriage Handbook
- Both parties must appear with valid ID like a citizenship certificate, diver's license, or military ID
- Parties must know their social security number
Where Can I Visit for a Marriage License in Polk County?
You can obtain a marriage license Monday to Friday from 8 mornings to 5 evenings at the Marriage Division of the Clerk of Polk Circuit Court's Office. You can also obtain the license at Northeast and Lakeland branch Courthouses.
|Polk County Marriage Locations
|255 N. Broadway Ave.
Bartow, FL 33830-3912
|930 E. Parker St., Room 240
Lakeland, FL 33801-1929
|3425 Lake Alfred Road
Winter Haven, FL 33881-1492
Can a Marriage License Expire?
The marriage should be solemnized within 60 days after the license is issued. You can perform the ceremony in any location within Florida County.
Who Can Perform a Marriage Ceremony in Polk County?
The following are the officiants with authority to perform marriage ceremonies in Polk county:
- Elders in communion with some churches
- Clerks of the circuit court or their deputies
- Judges of the state of Florida
- Ordained clergy
When Should a Marriage License Be Returned to the Clerk?
A marriage can't be recorded, and a certificate issued until a signed license is returned to the Clerk by the officiant. The license must be returned within ten days after the wedding.
How Do I Amend a Marriage License?
If there is a mistake or an error on your marriage license, call 863-534-4000. There is a 24-hour timeframe from the time the marriage is issued for you to amend the license. You also need to pay a fee to amend the license.
The Steps to Apply for a Marriage Certificate in Polk County
The following are the typical steps to apply for a .
- Complete the marriage application online: you need to complete the online marriage application before visiting the office.
- Read the Marriage Handbook: you should read the Marriage Handbook before arriving at the Clerk's office.
- Attend the premarital course provided by an approved provider.
- Visit the Clerk's office: the next step is to visit the Clerk's office for a marriage license.
- Perform the ceremony: perform your wedding ceremony and have the officiant sign the license.
- The officiant returns the completed license to the Clerk's office.
- Obtain the marriage certificate.
How to Order a Marriage Certificate Copy in Polk County With DoNotPay
The DIY method to get a marriage certificate in Polk county is long and tedious. DoNotPay can take this burden away from you. Follow the seven easy steps below to get a marriage certificate:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Let DoNotPay Help You Out
DoNotPay can also help you with other services such as.
Obtaining a can be a complex and time-consuming undertaking. Fortunately, DoNotPay can ease this process. Through our Certificates of Marriage product, you can digitally apply and request certified copies straight from your laptop. Contact us today to learn more.