Steps to Obtain a Copy of Marriage Certificate Online
A marriage certificate is an important document that married couples will need to have on hand. Obtaining a copy of marriage certificate from your county’s vital records office should be easy, but in many cases, it can become timely and confusing.
In most states, you can go to the county vital records office where the marriage took place and apply for a certified copy of the marriage certificate. You must fill out an application, pay a fee, and wait for the copy of the marriage certificate to arrive in the mail. If this seems like a daunting task, DoNotPay can help with the process.
Who Can Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate?
A copy of a marriage certificate can be obtained by a few different parties, depending on state and county regulations. In all cases, the bride and groom listed on the certificate of marriage can obtain a copy.
Other interested parties may also be able to access these copies, though the copy available may only be the non-certified type. The next of kin of the parties listed on the certificate can often access a copy, as long as they have proof of relationship to the bride or groom.
How Much Does a Marriage Certificate Copy Cost?
The cost of obtaining a copy of a marriage certificate will vary depending on where you apply for the copy. In many cases, it is a nominal fee for basic administrative costs. Throughout the United States, a copy of a marriage certificate can cost between $5-$30.
What Documents Are Required to Obtain a Copy of a Marriage Certificate?
To obtain a marriage certificate in any state, you will have to provide information that is already contained on the certificate. You will need to provide the names of the bride and groom, the date when the marriage took place, and the county where it was recorded.
There are two types of marriage certificates that you can acquire: non-certified and certified. A non-certified copy cannot be used for official government business, while a certified copy will allow you to use it for obtaining state identification or proving a name change.
The documents you will need to have in order to obtain a copy of a marriage certificate in most states include:
- A letter requesting the copy that includes certificate information
- Proof of relationship to the couple (or personal identification if it is for your own marriage certificate)
- Any associated fees to obtain the marriage certificate copy
How to Obtain a Copy of Marriage Certificate on Your Own
Obtaining a certificate of marriage on your own requires a few steps. First, you must know the county in which it was filed, and you should know the names of the couple listed on the certificate. If the county has the option to request the copy online, you will have to fill out forms and provide the necessary documents, plus a fee.
If the county does not provide this online option, you will have to travel to the county vital records office and fill out a paper application for the marriage certificate copy you wish to obtain.
The Next Steps to Obtaining a Marriage Certificate Copy if You Can't Do It Yourself
In some cases, it may not be feasible for you to take the time to acquire a copy of the marriage certificate yourself. In those cases, there are alternative options.
|Asking a Family Member||If you don't live where the marriage certificate was filed, you may be able to ask a family member to obtain the copy for you. State and county guidelines can help you determine which of your family members would be authorized to request a copy.|
|Hiring a Legal Representative||Another way of going through the process of getting your marriage certificate copy is to hire a legal representative to request it. This option, however, could be costly.|
These options can help you obtain a copy of a marriage certificate, but they could still be time-consuming and costly. However, there is an easier way to get it quickly and efficiently with DoNotPay.
How to Request a Marriage Certificate Copy With the Help of DoNotPay
Requesting a copy of a marriage certificate with DoNotPay is a simple online process that lets you skip long paper forms or standing in line at county vital records offices.
If you want to order a Marriage Certificate Copy from any state but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
Trying to navigate different state and county regulations in order to obtain copies of a marriage certificate can be tedious and sometimes confusing. That is why the services offered by DoNotPay can make your task quick and easy. Some of the benefits of DoNotPay include:
- Filing the application for the marriage certificate copy on your behalf
- Providing a process that is all online so you don't have to print or mail anything
- Helping you understand all the documents that you need to submit for a successful application
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is the easy way to help you obtain a copy of your marriage certificate, but that isn't all DoNotPay can do for you. You can also turn to DoNotPay when you need to:
- Craft a defamation demand letter
- Get help with chargebacks and refunds
- Learn how to get airline flight compensation
- Create passport photos
- Cancel unwanted services and subscriptions
Important documents are necessary to have on hand, and if you need to obtain a copy of yours, you can make the task quick and easy with the help of DoNotPay.