How to Obtain a West Virginia Fishing License
35.8 million Americans share in their love of fishing, be it as an angler or a sportsman. West Virginia is undoubtedly a fishing paradise with its untamed rivers and expansive lakes teeming with fish. Some of the best spots are the Shenandoah & Potomac Rivers, Summersville Lake, Jennings Randolph Lake, among many others.
The State of West Virginia requires you to have a fishing license before going off for your fishing expeditions. The first step to getting a fishing license is to know which option suits you best. You can then get the fishing license in one of four ways, whichever is most convenient:
- There are 180 retail licensing stores you can visit
- Purchase online by visiting the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources website
- Phone the department using the number 304-558-2758
- Download the DoNotPay fishing license app and sit back while we undertake the whole process for you
We definitely saved the best for last in the list above. This article will take you on a ride into the world of fishing licenses; the types, cost, eligibility, exemptions, requirements, and the application process.
Who is Eligible to Get a West Virginia Fishing License?
All anglers ages 15 and older are required to have a fishing license and a valid form of identification. You will need to present a photo ID and proof of residence, like your driver's license, to get a West Virginia fishing license.
Some people are exempted from paying for the license. They include children younger than 15 years, individuals currently serving in the U.S military, people who are legally blind, and those currently living in mental hospitals.
What are the Different Types of West Virginia Fishing Licenses and their Corresponding Costs?
There are different types of licenses depending on your residency, permit duration, and special licenses.
Residents get slightly subsidized prices. Residents who qualify for exemptions will be granted. Students who study full-time at any local schools and colleges within the state are considered residents. For those who are merely testing the waters of fishing or who only fish once in a blue moon, you can pay for the One-day fishing permit at $3 on that opportune day.
|Annual Fishing License||$19||$37|
|Annual Sportsman Hunting/Fishing/Trapping for ages 18 through 64||$35||$35|
|Junior Sportsman Hunting/Fishing/Trapping for ages 15 through 17||$16||$16|
|Trout Fishing Stamp||$10||$16|
|Conservation Stamp (Required for all licensed anglers)||$5||$13|
|Conservation/Law Enforcement Stamp (Required for all licensed anglers)||$13||$13|
|One-Day Fishing License||$3||$3|
|Five-Day Fishing License||$8||N/A|
|National Forest Hunting/Trapping/Fishing (Required on National Forests)||$2||$2|
|Special Hunting/Fishing License For Persons With A Life-Threatening Condition||Free||Free|
If you are an avid angler, then an annual or a lifetime permit may be a better match. The packages at your disposal are as listed:
|Senior Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License||$25.00|
|Trout Fishing-Infant License (must be purchased before a child turns 2)||$115|
|Trout Fishing License||$230|
|Fishing License (stamp not required)||$552|
|Combination Hunting/Trapping/Fishing License (stamp not required||$805|
West Virginia is a trout country, having 54% of trout anglers nationwide. To keep tabs on trout fishing, the state mandates a trout fisher to have a trout fishing stamp at the cost of either $10 or a lifetime permit of $230.
All licensed fishers pay for a conservation stamp costing $5. Additionally, a charge of $2 is imposed on anyone fishing or hunting in a national forest.
A Step by Step Guide on How to Get a Fishing License in West Virginia on Your Own
Fishing paraphernalia, check. Bait, check. Fishing vessel, check. Spot identified, check. Psyche and excitement, overflowing. Now you just need the permission of the state. The steps below will show you how:
1. Educate yourself on fishing laws and regulations before going fishing. Ignorance is no excuse when found culpable.
2. If you're applying online:
- Visit the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources website
- If you’ve never purchased a license from WVDNR, you will need to enroll, or you can log in if you already have an account
- Click on the 'purchase a license, tag, or permit' option
- Select the license you want to purchase
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Pay with your credit card
- Print the license
The steps above are time-consuming and tedious. The government website can be confusing to navigate. If you prefer to purchase the license from a brick-and-mortar store, you can find one by looking up which is most convenient. Most hunting and fishing stores will have licenses available for purchase but prepare yourself to wait in line and deal with associates who may not know about fishing license information.
With the many different permits available, you may not know which you should buy. Failure to purchase a required permit is a grade 3 misdemeanor punishable by a fine. We certainly want to avoid that! Also, why do it yourself when there is an easier and more modern solution just a click away?
Lighten up your to-do list with DoNotPay, your ultimate assistant.
Get Your West Virginia Fishing License Easier and Faster Using DoNotPay
If you want to get your fishing license but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search "fishing license" on DoNotPay and select the state you would like a fishing license for.
- Indicate whether you are a resident or non-resident, and choose the type of license you want. For example, saltwater vs. freshwater license, three-day only pass, and more.
- Provide your contact information, a copy of your government-issued ID, and pay the fee required by the state.
And that’s it! DoNotPay will get your West Virginia fishing license on your behalf, which will be valid immediately. Just download the file and print it as a temporary license. A physical copy will be processed and sent to you by mail.
Why DoNotPay is the Best Option
We at DoNotPay strive to ease the load of an aspect of life that is a source of headaches for many, paying bills, fines, and license fees. To this end, we have an apt AI system in place that knows the law and helps in your payments while protecting you from exploitation by unscrupulous charges.
With DoNotPay, you get to enjoy its:
- Speed—DoNotPay will only require a few minutes to complete your West Virginia fishing license application. We understand that your time is of the essence.
- Easy usability—We know the drag that comes with having a long list of mandatory questions on an app. The forms you fill on our app are short and sweet, just the essentials.
- Guaranteed success— You can bet on the reliability of our services. Rest assured, you will get the correct fishing license, on time, at the right cost.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
Obtaining a West Virginia fishing license is only one of the many things that DoNotPay can help you with. Some other ways we can help you include:
- Get a fishing license in any state online
- Obtain a saltwater fishing license
- Access the DoNotPay fishing license app
What Other Services Does DoNotPay Have Up Its Sleeve?
Signing up for DoNotPay will open up a new world where services pertaining to all of life's major tasks can be performed for you. We can also lend a hand to:
- Help with bills
- Reduce property taxes
- Contact government representatives
- Request and follow-up on chargebacks and research
- Help with standardized business documents