How to Get a NY Fishing License Online
is home to some thrilling sportfishing. On the East coast, there are miles of Atlantic coastline. On the Western side of NY, there’s the mighty Niagara River, Lake Ontario, and Lake Erie. Mid-state is the Finger Lakes. And everything’s fed by smaller creeks and tributaries. No wonder fishing is so popular in NY.
This article explores everything you need to know about . We’ll cover five topics:
- Fishing license costs and requirements in NY
- Exemptions and exclusions
- Places to buy a fishing license in NY
- How to buy a NY fishing license online using DoNotPay
- And a few other tasks you can tackle with the app
Do You Need a Fishing License in NY?
Generally, yes. There are a few exceptions, and we’ll cover those in a moment. Under the NY fishing license regulations, you need a license to fish in its freshwaters. There is no NY saltwater license.
That means you’ll need a current license to fish:
- The Finger Lakes
- Lake Erie
- Lake Ontario
- The Niagara River and Niagara Gorge
- The Erie Canal
- The Hudson River
At What Age do I Require a Fishing License in NY?
Whether you're a resident or not, you must be 16 years and over to get the NY . Young children don’t need a license.
What Are Some Exemptions?
Some individuals don’t need to carry a fishing license in New York.
- Living in the state's Veterans' Administration (VA) facility
- Fishing in a licensed fish pond
- A Native American, who lives and fishes in a preserved area
- Fishing in your pond within the boundaries of your land
- Staying in a licensed fishing preservation area
- When you're angling on NY free fishing days
Now let’s think about license types.
What Kinds of NY Fishing Licenses can I Purchase?
In New York, you can buy a one-day, weekly, yearly, or even lifetime license. Most of the license options are only for New York residents. But living in the state for 30 days also qualifies you to get a resident fishing permit. If you want a lifetime fishing permit, you must show proof of residing in NYS for one year. Your driver’s license with a NY address is usually enough, but if it’s a recent license, bring some utility bills that prove your NY address.
At a glance, these are the ny fishing license options for freshwater fishing:
- Combo lifetime fishing license
What Does a NY Fishing License Cost?
Here's a breakdown of the most popular fishing license prices in New York, for residents and non-residents.
1-day fishing permits are also available, they cost $5 for residents and $10 for non-residents.
Are Lifetime Fishing Licenses Available in NY?
Yes. NY Residents can buy a permanent lifetime fishing license, but prices vary depending on your age. An 18-year-old will pay more than a 50-year-old, and that makes good sense.Visit the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to learn the specifics.
Can I get a Free Fishing License in New York?
It’s possible to get a free fishing permit in NY. People who are eligible for free or reduced-fishing license fees include:
- Residents with complete blindness
- Military veterans
- Residents aged 70 and over
- Resident patients at a US military facility
- Native Americans living in reserved places
Now, let's see how you can buy your NY fishing license.
Where to Purchase NY Fishing Licenses
There are a few different ways to buy a NY fishing license. Check them out:
- Local bait shops
- Sporting goods stores
- Fishing license apps like DoNotPay
Of them all, DoNotPay is the fastest and easiest way to apply for a fishing license online. It works when other stores are closed for a holiday, and you’ll never need to share your credit card information with a stranger. Remember, you can use DoNotPay to get any fishing license in the US. Whether you’re heading to Nantucket, MA, or San Francisco Bay, DoNotPay can help.
How to Get a NY Fishing License with DoNotPay
DoNotPay offers a super-fast, reliable, and easy way to get a fishing license online. Just follow three simple steps:
- Search "fishing license" on DoNotPay and select the state you would like a fishing license for.
- Indicate whether you are a resident or non-resident, and choose the type of license you want. For example, saltwater vs. freshwater license, three-day only pass, and more.
- Provide your contact information, and a copy of your government-issued ID, and pay the fee required by the state.
See how easy that is? You don’t need to wait for the local tackle store employee to show up. You don’t need to share your private information. You’ll never stand in line at the bait store again.
And that’s not all you can do with the world’s first AI Consumer Champion. It’s much more than a fishing license app.
How Else Can DoNotPay Help You Today?
DoNotPay works across different companies and government entities to solve customer problems. Besides helping you , you can use the app to sue anyone in small claims court, get pet licenses, and report illegal dumping in your neighborhood. Try it now.