How to Obtain a Minnesota Fishing License the Easy Way
Minnesota is known as the "Land of 10,000 lakes", and just about every one of them is good for fishing. But, first, you need a Minnesota fishing license to reel in all the fish that reside in these waters.
MN's DNR division has a long list of rules and regulations when it comes to catching a fish because it's one of the biggest sports in the state. That's why this state offers so many options for angling licenses that cover a lot of situations.
Read our little guide if you want to know where to get a fishing license, how much it will cost, and what method is best for obtaining one.
Who Can Get a Minnesota Fishing License?
All residents of Mn from age 16 to 89 are required to have a fishing license to cast out a line in any of the lakes or rivers in the state. Anyone who doesn't live in MN, but wants to come and spend some time fishing, also needs to have a license before they throw their line out into the water.
The state allows a few individuals to fish without a license. The list includes:
- Those under the age of 16
- military members that are stationed in another state but happen to be home on leave
- Anyone who resides in a nursing or boarding care home
What Are the Different Types of Minnesota Fishing Licenses?
As with most states, Minnesota offers a license for both residents and those who live elsewhere but come to Minnesota to fish. They have several types of licenses to choose from to cover anyone's needs. Some of the Minnesota fishing licenses you can get include:
- 24-hour license
- 72-hour license
- 3-year license
Besides those, Minnesota also offers couples licenses, family, and even ones for specific fishing tournaments.
How much is a Minnesota Fishing License?
For residents of Minnesota, you can expect to pay anywhere from $12 to $71, depending on the length of time you opt for (1-day to 3-years). Married couples can get a Minnesota fishing license for approximately $40. This will last a year, and it will need to be renewed. An annual license for an individual will cost you $25.
For those who aren't residents of Minnesota, the cost of getting a license will vary. For individuals, you can expect to pay around $14 to $43 (for 1-day to 7-days). An annual license would run you $51 for an individual and $68 for a family license. A married couple can purchase a 14-day license for $54.
Popular Fishing Licenses in Minnesota
|Individual angling (1-year)||$25.00|
|Combination angling (1-year)||$40.00|
|Individual sports (1-year)||$41.00|
|Combination sports (1-year)||$57.00|
|Non-resident individual angling (1-year)||$51.00|
|Non-resident angling (7-day)||$43.00|
|Angling Youth Ages 16 to 17 (1-year)||$5.00|
|Disability Permit (residents 16 or older who are developmentally disabled or a veteran with 100 percent service-connected disability)||Free|
How to Obtain a Minnesota Fishing License On Your Own
In the state of MN, there are a few different ways to obtain a license to fish. To get one for your next fishing trip:
1. You can purchase a license online on their site, but it can be confusing to navigate.
2. You can call them and apply over the phone, but they charge extra fees for using this service. 1-888-665-4236
3. Some stores, like Walmart, offer fishing licenses in their sporting goods department
However, the attendants in many stores rarely know much about licenses and can rarely help with any questions you might have about obtaining a Minnesota fishing license. Plus, they're usually busy assisting customers looking for products at the store.
If you have a lot of time to kill, you might not mind the possible wait you could be in for. If you find these routes difficult or time-consuming, there's an easier way to get a license to cast your line in Minnesota waters.
The Easier Way to Obtain a Minnesota Fishing License Online With DoNotPay
Sure, you can get a Minnesota fishing license yourself, but not everyone has the time to deal with a store clerk or answer a bunch of questions over the phone. You might think going to their website would make the process easier, but not necessarily. Its website has a lot of good information, but it's very confusing when it comes time to purchase a fishing license. Are you choosing the right one?
To free up time and possible headaches the process could bring, you should consider trying the fishing license app that DoNotPay uses. This method is simple and straightforward. You only need to answer a few quick questions, and they handle the rest of it for you.
How to Use DoNotPay to Get a Minnesota Fishing License
Obtaining a fishing license using the procedure above requires a series of time-consuming steps. However, DoNotPay can get your fishing license for you by following the three easy steps below:
- Search "fishing license" on DoNotPay and select the state you would like a fishing license for.
- Indicate whether you are a resident or non-resident, and choose the type of license you want. For example, saltwater vs. freshwater license, three-day only pass, and more.
- Provide your contact information, a copy of your government-issued ID, and pay the fee required by the state.
And that's it! DoNotPay will get the Minnesota fishing license on your behalf, which will be valid immediately and can be downloaded and printed. In some cases, a physical copy will be processed and sent to you by mail, if necessary. If you're ready for DoNotPay to get your Minnesota fishing license for you, simply sign-up for our helpful tool.
Why Use DoNotPay?
You should use DoNotPay to get your Minnesota fishing license because DoNotPay is:
- Fast—You don't have to spend hours trying to get a license
- Easy—You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved
- Successful—You can rest assured knowing we'll take care of you!
What Other Services Does DoNotPay Offer?
In addition to obtaining fishing licenses, there are many other services that DoNotPay can offer you, which include, but are not limited to:
- We can help you get a Robocall compensation
- We can help you set up a revocable living trust
- We can help you skip the queue of any company
- We can help you manage your bills
- We can help you file neighbor complaints
- We can help you file insurance claims
- We can help you pay parking tickets
And so much more! What are you waiting for? Get in touch with DoNotPay today to get your Minnesota fishing license.