Easily Get Your California Fishing License With DoNotPay
There's nothing better than a day spent fishing. Relaxing and peaceful, fishing is a pastime that unites outdoor lovers of all ages, allowing you to connect with the beauty of nature. California is home to many beautiful fishing spots, including Havasu Lake, Silverwood Lake, Honey Lake, and Mono Lake. However, before you grab your rod and tackle box and head to one of these local hotspots, you need to make sure that you have a valid California fishing license. Fishing licenses are legal requirements at the state level that help to prevent illegal fishing.
It can be tricky to know how to obtain a fishing license, with regulations and requirements constantly changing. If you want to get your California fishing license quickly, turn to DoNotPay, the fast, easy, successful solution for acquiring a California fishing license.
Who Is Eligible for a California Fishing License?
According to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, a California fishing license is available to any resident or non-resident age 16 or older. A fishing license is required for any person attempting to take fish, mollusks, crustaceans, invertebrates, amphibians, or reptiles in inland or ocean waters. Some species and areas require additional licensing and documentation.
What Are the Different Types of California Fishing Licenses?
There are many types of , and each one has a specific fee attached to it. The following are annual fishing licenses available to those who wish to fish in California.
- Resident sport fishing license. This license is available for any California resident age 16 and older.
- Nonresident sport fishing license. This license is available for non–residents who are 16 and older.
- Reduced-fee sport fishing license–Disabled Veteran. This license is available to any resident or nonresident honorably discharged disabled veteran with a 50 percent or more significant service-connected disability.
- Reduced-fee sport fishing license–Recovering Service Member. This license is available to any recovering service member of the US military.
- Reduced-fee sport fishing license–Low Income Senior. In January 2022, reduced-fee sport fishing licenses will be available for low-income California residents, 65 years of age and older, who receive Supplemental Security Income.
- Free sport fishing license–Low Income Native American. This license is available to any Native American who is a resident of the State and is financially unable to pay the fee required for a resident sport fishing license.
- Free sport fishing license–Mobility Impaired, Blind, or Developmentally Disabled. This license is available to any blind, developmentally disabled, or mobility impaired person.
Licenses vary in price based on what type of license you’re getting. Here’s a breakdown of how much each license costs.
|Resident sport fishing license||$54|
|Nonresident sport fishing license||$145.80|
|Reduced-fee sport fishing license–Disabled Veteran||$8.24–$8.64|
|Reduced-fee sport fishing license–Recovering Service Member||$8.24–$8.64|
|Reduced-fee sport fishing license–Low Income Senior||$8.24|
|Free sport fishing license–Low Income Native American||Free|
|Free sport fishing license–Mobility Impaired, Blind or Developmentally Disabled||Free|
California residents also have access to special lifetime fishing licenses. These lifetime licenses include:
- Ages 0-9–$594.75
- Ages 10-39–$972.50
- Ages 40-61–$876
- Ages 62+–$594.75
In addition to these standard and lifetime licenses, certain parts of California require additional validations and report cards. Certain species of fish also require specific permissions. It can be confusing to know what you need to fish legally in California, especially if you decide to get a license on your own.
How to Get a California Fishing License on Your Own
If you want to get a California fishing license on your own, you have several options.
- You can buy a California fishing license through the California Department of Fish and Wildlife website. You will need to select the type of license you wish to purchase through the online system, which can be tricky if you are a first-time fishing license purchaser. Purchasing your license online can be time-consuming, and after the purchase, you will be required to download and print the license and the receipt.
- Purchase a California fishing license at one of the 10 California Department of Fish and Wildlife offices located throughout the state. While this can be a good option for someone who needs the various types of licenses explained to them, it can be hard to take the time to drive to the office to make the purchase. Additionally, the CDFW website notes that many of these offices are still operating under limited hours, so it might be challenging to find one that can accommodate your schedule.
- You can purchase a from any license agent located throughout the state. The CDFW website features a search tool to help you find the agent nearest you.
Any of these options can end up costing you a good deal of time and energy, requiring you to fill out forms and provide a lot of personal information. Fortunately, there is another option. DoNotPay is the fast, easy, successful solution for quickly getting your California fishing license.
DoNotPay Is the Easy Solution for Getting a California Fishing License
How to get your California fishing license using DoNotPay:
If you want to get your fishing license but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
1. Search "fishing license" on DoNotPay and select the state you would like a fishing license for.
2. Indicate whether you are a resident or non-resident, and choose the type of license you want. For example, saltwater vs. freshwater license, three-day only pass, and more.
3. Provide your contact information, a copy of your government-issued ID, and pay the fee required by the state.
Why DoNotPay Is the Best Solution for Getting a Fishing License
DoNotPay is the best solution for getting a fishing license in California. Our system guides you through the steps to get the license you want without a lot of time filling out various forms or driving to find a CDFW office. With DoNotPay, getting your license to fish in the state of California is easy, freeing you up to spend even more time enjoying the great outdoors.
How Else Can DoNotPay Help You Today?
Helping you obtain the correct type of fishing license is just one of the many things DoNotPay can do. We have the experience to help you solve a variety of issues, including: