How to Fill Out the USPS Change of Address CNL107 Form

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm and is not licensed to practice law. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help.

How to Fill Out the USPS Change of Address CNL107 Form?

Moving to a new home or business location can be both exciting and stressful. You want to know that everything you own is going to make the move without damages. You pack the best you can. The question is, did you fill out the USPS change of address form yet?

Much the same as forgetting your "important papers" box, your mail is an important thing that you do not want to leave behind. Your mail carrier will not know where to send it and the new homeowners may get to learn a little too much about you. Not to mention the hassle and headaches you may have because deliveries go to the wrong address or important notices don't reach you.

If you have forgotten to fill out and return the form, did it but still feel that your mail isn't being delivered to the new home, or simply prefer to not have to deal with the hassle of changing your mailing address, we can help. DoNotPay makes changing mailing address forms simple and stress-free. More than that, we ensure that it works the way it is supposed to the first time it is submitted!

When Should a Change of Mailing Address Form Be Filed?

In a perfect world, you should file a change of mailing address form approximately two weeks before moving day. This will ensure that the United States Postal Service (USPS) can get it in the system. You can make the start date up to 30 days prior to the move or 90 days in the future from the current date.

In a not-so-perfect world, or if you forget, it can be done in as little as three business days. However, there is no guarantee that some of your mail will not be delayed.

If you do not file a change of address form at all, your mail will sit in the new mailbox until picked up by someone or the mail carrier decides to leave you a notice. If they leave you a notice your mail will be held at the post office for up to 10 days. At that time, the mail will be returned to the sender when possible.

Please note that the USPS will only forward mail for a little while. It is up to you to tell others about your move if you continue to get forwarded mail from certain entities. The time frame for forwarding services will be:

  • 12 Months: This includes forwarding for Priority Mail and First-Class Mail.
  • Up to 12 Months if Delivery to a Domestic Address: USPS Retail Ground and Library Mail or other Media Mail.
  • 60 Days: Periodicals including Magazines and Newsletters.
  • May Not Be Forwarded: Advertisements, catalogs, retail offers, etc. Unless mailer specifies forwarding.

Mailing addresses can be changed for a variety of reasons. You can set the change to be temporary or permanent. It can apply to one person in the home or your entire family. If you are moving a business, one Change of Address (COA) will cover the entire business.

How Much Will It Cost to File a Change of Address?

The answer to this will depend on how you go about changing your address. The USPS warns of bad websites that may charge more for changing your address than they do. Therefore, through the USPS, you have two options.

At Your Local Post OfficeWhen you go to your local post office to get the form, you will avoid all fees for the transfer.
OnlineIf you choose to fill out the form online, you will have to pay a fee of $1.10. This covers your identity validation. You will also need to provide a valid, eligible credit card and your valid email address.

The online option is not available in all situations. If you are moving internationally, you will need to do it in person through the Mover's Guide. Military personnel can use the online form if they are moving from a military base. However, your email address must end with ".gov" or ".mil" to qualify.

How to Deal with Changing Your Mailing Address on Your Own

If you want to know how to change your mailing address, there are steps to take to get it done. The first step will be to decide who you should fill out the forms for. In the event that only one person is moving out of your home, you should only file a request for that person. If your family is moving, you will need to select the family.

After that, you will need to:

  1. Visit a post office or fill out the form online. The online form is five pages of information that you will need to provide. If only one or two people are leaving the residence, but not everyone in your family, you will need to provide the form for each of the movers.
  2. When you complete the form, you will receive a . This is basically a confirmation code. You will need to keep up with the code since it will allow you to make changes to the address change if you determine that something was inaccurate. If you lose the code, no changes can be made without a formal dispute.
  3. At the new address, you will receive a welcome packet from the post office to ensure you that everything has gone smoothly. Under normal circumstances, this should happen within five days of the selected start date, but there are sometimes delays.

What to Do If You Cannot Get Mail at Your New Address

If you have notified the USPS of an address change but feel that mail isn't being delivered to your new home, you will need to contact the post office. They may be able to try and get them to trace down the issue.

Trying to track down the problem, can be a real headache, especially if you do not know where your confirmation is. Luckily, you do not have to go through this hassle alone. DoNotPay can help you trace the problem and get your mail to you quickly.

How DoNotPay Handles Getting Your Mailing Address Changed

If you do not want to deal with discovering how to change your mailing address when you move, DoNotPay has you covered. We can make sure that everything is in order and goes smoothly. We can even inform the DMV or the Social Security Offices of your address change as well as any other entity that you feel needs to know about it.

If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:

  1. Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail

  2. Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business)

  3. Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent

  4. Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)

  5. And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.

What Can DoNotPay Do for You?

Beyond doing our part to make sure you get a , we provide a variety of other services to all who need them. Some options you can take advantage of will include:

Dealing with changing your mailing address and other issues can be complicated and time-consuming. If you want an easier, faster, and more successful option, give DoNotPay a call. We are always here for you and will ensure you have no complications.

Want your issue solved now?