How to Change Your Mailing Address in NYC
Few people in New York City live in the same home for their entire life. It's a vivid city with many opportunities to rent or buy in a new location. We move for work, for school, for better prices, and better amenities. You may be moving to NYC, out of the city, or between homes in the great metropolis. However, one thing is always the same: you need to get your mail.
is a three-step process. DoNotPay can make that process easy.
How Much Time Do You Have to File a Change of Address With USPS?
The USPS does not have a specific time limit to when you , but the state of New York does. The New York DMV gives residents only 10 days to register their change of address and receive a new license. Keeping track of licensing is very important in New York and this ensures that you can be found in the event of an issue with traffic or your vehicle.
How Much Does It Cost to File a Change of Address?
If you submit a mail forwarding form at your local post office, there is no charge to file your change of address. However, if you do what most people prefer and register for mail forwarding online, the cost is $1.10. This fee pays for the minor expense of verifying your identity using your sign-up information to ensure you are redirecting your mail.
How to Change Your Mailing Address in NYC
There are a few things you need to do to change your mailing address in NYC.
Set up Mail Forwarding
The first step is to direct your mail from your old address to your new address. Give yourself a window of a few weeks or months to make sure you have time to update all your contacts on your new mailing and shipping address.
- Navigate to USPS Moving page
- Select Individual, Family, or Business
- Fill In Your Contact Information
- Indicate a permanent or temporary move
- Choose a mail forwarding start date
- Give your old address
- Give your new address
- Enter a Payment Method for the $1.10 charge
- Submit your change of address
Register Your New Address With the DMV
In the state of New York, you must update a new address within 10 days. USPS does not share records with the DMV, so you will need to notify both offices to complete your moving paperwork tasks.
- Navigate to MyDMV on NY.gov.
- Make an account or log into your existing account.
- Change the address registered with your name and vehicle.
- Optionally, you can order a new ID or write your new address on the back of your ID.
Update Your Address With Accounts and Contacts
Lastly, make sure all your accounts and contacts have your new address. Mail forwarding can only do so much and the USPS can't redirect packages with the same ease.
Visit all your online accounts where your address is stored for mailing or shipping and update your address. Change the addresses stored in your browser auto-fill. And don't forget to make some nice change-of-address cards (or jot a quick email) letting our friends and family know where to find you at your new home.
Updated Failed? Contact USPS
Have you filed a change of address but found that it is not working? You can contact USPS through the following channels:
|Phone Number||1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)|
|Support Email||Email Form|
How to Register Your NYC Change of Address With the Help of DoNotPay
Need to ? Tired of logging into every account you've ever mailed with? Don't have time for the DMV and the USPS? DoNotPay is here to help. Moving can take all your time and energy but you still don't want to miss your important mail while your household is transitioning from one house to the next.
DoNotPay can make new address registration and mail forwarding easy. Simply tell us where you're moving and if it's permanent. Then we'll take care of the rest.
How to File a Change of Address Using DoNotPay
If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail.
- Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business).
- Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent.
- Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)
- And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.
Have other questions related to changing your mailing address? DoNotPay has the answers.
- Where to get a USPS Change of Address Form PDF
- How to file Social Security Change of Address Form by mail
- Apply for Informed Delivery USPS Change Address
- File DMV Change of Mailing Address
- How to change your mailing address when you move
Other Useful Things DoNotPay Can Do
DoNotPay can provide assistance in many areas. To name a few:
- Gift card cash back
- City repairs
- Free raffle tickets
- Neighbor complaints
- Reduce property taxes
- Stalking and harassment
- Airline flight compensation
- Insurance claims
- Find lost items
- Cancel subscriptions
DoNotPay can help you register your new address, update your network, and so much more. Living in New York City is an intense lifestyle and you don't need address-based drama on top. Join DoNotPay today to save time and money!