How To Change Mailing Address With Social Security Easily

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

How To Change Mailing Address With Social Security Easily

If you have ever gotten married or changed your name for another reason, then you know what a nightmare it can be. When dealing with a federal entity, the situation is even further complicated due to the stringent rules that are in place to prevent identity theft as well as laws put in place by Homeland Security. The endless red tape that you go through can be frustrating and confusing.

The process of changing your mailing address with the USPS is similar to the process used to change your name or address with the Social Security Administration. However, instead of notifying the postal service, you will need to notify the Social Security Administration directly. Let's find out how DoNotPay can help you with all your change of address and change of name needs.

How Much Does It Cost to Change Your Name or Address With the SSA?

There is no charge to Administration. You will simply need to contact the Social Security Administration and let them know of the change. They will likely require some proof of the change such as a marriage license or court documents.

You will also need to prove your identity if it isn't already on file with Social Security. This could be in the form of a valid driver's license, passport, or other state or federal identification. As you can see, the process begins to get difficult the further into the process you get.

How to Change Your Name or Address With Social Security on Your Own

The first thing you will need to do to change your name is to fill out the appropriate paperwork. You will need to either download the form SS-5 from the website or visit your local SSA office to fill out the form in person. You will then need to provide the office with the necessary documents to prove that you are who you say you are.

To , you can simply go to the website to notify the SSA of your new address. Any future correspondence will be forwarded to the new address. You will still need to verify your identity, but you do not need to provide a driver's license or passport. You can also request a change of address by mail or simply visit your local SSA office.

Social Security Administration Contact Details

WebsiteThe United States Social Security Administration
Email Support FormEmail Our Social Security Support Team
Visit Your Nearest SSASocial Security Office Locator
Phone Number1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)
Hours of OperationMonday to Friday, 8 AM to 7 PM

Change Your Name or Address With Social Security With The Help Of DoNotPay

DoNotPay makes it simple to change your address or your name with the SSA with a few simple steps. If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:

  1. Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail.

  2. Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business).

  3. Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent.

  4. Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)

  5. And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.

Why Use DoNotPay to Change Your Name or Address With Social Security?

DoNotPay can help you make the necessary changes with the SSA by making it:

  • Fast - You don’t have to spend hours trying to make the changes.
  • Easy - You don’t have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in making the changes.
  • Successful - You can rest assured knowing we’ll make the best case for you.

DoNotPay Works Across Many Different Companies

We can help make the process of changing your name and mailing address easy with the SSA, but DoNotPay can also help do the following for you:

  1. Change mailing address when you move
  2. Change USPS Informed delivery address
  3. Access USPS Change of Address Form
  4. Follow-up when USPS address change is not working
  5. Change DMV mailing address

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

DoNotPay can solve many problems you might encounter including:

Dealing with the SSA can cause a lot of frustration and anxiety. Even though the process is fairly straightforward, it can still be a challenge to know what documents they will accept as proof of citizenship, proof of identification, and so on. With the help of DoNotPay, we can help you get your in a few simple steps and take the guesswork out of the process.

Want your issue solved now?