How to Sign Up for Canada Post Forwarding Mail After a Change of Address
When you move to a new address, it's always important to let the Canada Post and all your contacts know the new place to reach you. Mail sent to your old address will be lost until you change all of your accounts and the shipping services catch up. Even after you register a change of address with the Canada Post, there will still be a few months where letters are sent to your old address by mistake.
The best way to catch all of your mail is to set up a forwarding mail service through the Canada Post. This will automatically reroute all your letters to your new address.
How do you set up forwarding mail with Canada Post after changing your address? How is it different from a USPS change of address? DoNotPay is here to help you arrange your mail simply and quickly.
How Much Time do You Have to File a Change of Address with Canada Post?
Your contacts will need to be updated in order to receive mail at your new address. However, you can smooth over the transition by filing for mail forwarding. For the Canada Post, mail forwarding is treated as a synonym for change of address.
You are not required to file your change of address in Canada, though there may be other local laws or offices that need timely updating like the DMV in your city.
How Much Does It Cost to Get Canada Post Mail Forwarding?
Mail forwarding with the Canada Post is surprisingly expensive for permanent and temporary moves. Unlike the USPS, this is a professional forwarding service for cash. To forward your mail for four months, it will cost roughly between $60 and $73. To forward your mail to an address outside the Canadian border will cost you over $170.
Canada Post Mail Forwarding Costs
|Within the Province|
|3 months - temporary||$54.75|
|Month to Month - temporary||$18.25/month|
|3 months - temporary||$69.00|
|Month to Month - temporary||$23/month|
|US and International|
|3 months - temporary||$101.25|
|Month to Month - temporary||$33.75/month|
How to Set Up Canada Post Mail Forwarding on Your Own
There are two options for setting up Canada mail forwarding by yourself: online and at the post office.
Sign Up for Mail Forwarding Online
Follow these steps:
- Log In or Create an Account with Canada Post.
- Navigate to the Mail Forwarding page.
- Scroll down and click "Buy Mail Forwarding."
- Enter your address and ID information.
- Select how long you would like to receive mail forwarding.
- Submit your credit or debit score.
At the Post Office
Follow these steps:
- Print and complete the Mail Forwarding Order form.
- Arrive at your nearest post office.
- Submit your form to a post office clerk.
- Show your identification.
- Pay at the counter.
How to Register for Mail Forwarding With the Help of DoNotPay
Moving shouldn't have to be a huge pain every time you need to relocate your home base. But it is. Let DoNotPay simplify the moving process by simplifying your entire address updating cycle. We'll make sure your mail finds you.
DoNotPay makes it easy to change your mail forwarding address in Canada and in the United States. Canada Post has an unusually high mail forwarding cost which is part of the reason DoNotPay is here to help Canadian residents change their addresses and forward their mail to their new address.
If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail.
- Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business).
- Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent.
- Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)
- And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.
DoNotPay can help you with the following as well:
- Update Informed Delivery USPS address
- Learn how to change mailing address with the DMV
- Update Social Security change of address via mail
- Learn why USPS address change is not working
- Get a USPS Change of Address Form pdf
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is dedicated to making your life easier. Whether you're changing addresses after a move, disputing traffic tickets, or filing insurance claims you will find online tools to cut the red tape, save money, and save time:
Get started with DoNotPay today and start checking items off your to-do list.