How to Change Social Security Address by Mail

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

How to File Social Security Change of Address Form by Mail Without Jumping Through Hoops

The Social Security Administration assists Americans with retirement, disability, Medicare, SSI, and survivor benefits. Filing a is one option for benefits recipients to ensure that the Administration's files remain up to date.

However, Social Security is not a big fan of having folks do this by mail. But even so, there is a way you can skip through all that hassle and that is with the help of DoNotPay.

Can I Change My Address With Social Security by Mail?

The Social Security Administration is not a big fan of receiving a . The agency has set up a process that lets you make the change online, using your computer or phone.

  1. Visit the website for the Social Security Administration.
  2. Log into your account. If you do not have an account, you need to create one. Administrators believe that it will take you ten minutes or so to create one.
  3. Once you are in your account, select the "my profile" link. It is on the right side of the screen.
  4. Select the "update contact information" option. You can now enter the new address information.
  5. Remember to choose when the update should be scheduled. It will not automatically go into effect.
  6. Click "next."
  7. Now you have an option to verify the information and then "submit" it.

However, you cannot use this address function if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or if your address is outside the United States.

Is There a Social Security Address Change by Mail for SSI Recipients?

Because you do not have the option of updating an address online for SSI, it would make sense to give you the option of using a . However, the Social Security Administration does not want you to do that.

SSI recipients should call 1-800-772-1213 during the week between 8 AM to 7 PM. However, remember that taking this approach will most likely require you to spend quite a bit of time on hold until you speak to a representative.

You can also contact your local Social Security office. You can find out the address by entering the ZIP code into the Administration's "find office" tool. It is possible that the hold times are shorter when connecting with your local office -- if they are fully staffed.

Note the phone number, call, and set up an appointment to come in for a change of address. In this case, you spend the time making the appointment and then traveling to the office, where you will most likely have to spend more time waiting.

Social Security Administration Contact Details

WebsiteThe United States Social Security Administration
Email Support FormEmail Our Social Security Support Team
Visit Your Nearest SSASocial Security Office Locator
Phone Number1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)
Hours of OperationMonday to Friday, 8 AM to 7 PM

Are There Social Security Address Change Forms That Mail Carriers Deliver?

There used to be a form that Americans could mail in so they could avoid walking into the office or spending a lot of time waiting on the phone. However, when the Social Security Administration moved its operations online, it no longer provided specific forms to make the change by mail. Some people mail a USPS change of address card to their local office, but there is no guarantee that this approach works.

DoNotPay Helps You File a Social Security Change of Address Form by Mail

If you do not want to mess with the online files and click through all the options, you are not alone. Plenty of Americans prefer to deliver a Social Security change of address form by mail. DoNotPay has developed a way to accommodate you.

If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:

  1. Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail.

  2. Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business).

  3. Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent.

  4. Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)

  5. And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.

DoNotPay Operates Across All Platforms With Just a Click of a Button

In addition to filing a Social Security address change form on your behalf, DoNotPay can assist you with other ways to make address changes.

What Else Can DoNotPay Help You Do?

Aside from assisting you in changing your mailing address, DoNotPay also can help you in various ways. Here are a few more services they provide.

Want your issue solved now?