How Do You Change Your Mailing Address When You Move: A Beginner’s Guide
If you are preparing to move, whether it is across the country or simply to a different part of town, it is likely that you have a to-do list that is a mile long. One of the biggest questions you probably have when moving is, “How do you change your mailing address when you move?”
If you don't properly update your mailing address, you could miss out on receiving important pieces of mail, including bills and packages.
There are a few different steps that you will have to complete prior to officially managing to update your address with the USPS. These steps can be done well in advance of your move, leaving you with time to focus on other things. However, figuring out which order to handle these steps and when in the moving process you should do them can be stressful. Fortunately, there is an easy and painless solution for changing your USPS mailing address, one that removes stress from your plate.
How Much Time Do YOu Have to File a Change of Address With USPS?
When you are considering when to change your mailing address, you should think about when you want mail to start arriving at your new address. The official United States Postal Service website notes that it is best to plan ahead when changing your address, stating that it is best to allow two weeks between the submission of your change of address request and the time when mail might start arriving at the updated address.
How Much Does It Cost to File a Change of Address?
It is not expensive to file a change of address with the USPS. As noted on the official website, the only cost associated is a $1.10 identity verification fee, which is charged to your bank account when you change your address online via the USPS website. If you file your change of address in person at a physical post office location, there is no fee.
How to Change Your Mailing Address on Your Own
There are two ways you can change your address with the USPS:
- You can change your mailing address online through the USPS website.
2. You can change your mailing address in person at a post office location near you.
Either method can be time-consuming and slow. Driving to a physical post office location can cost you gas money, and updating your address online can take hours, depending on how fast you are able to fill out forms.
How Do You Change Your Mailing Address Online?
If you want to change your mailing address when you move via the online form:
- Go to the United States Post Office website
- Scroll down to the official Change-Of-Address section
- Select whether your address change is permanent or temporary
- Verify your identity
- Pay the $1.10 verification fee, via a debit or credit card
You will also have to note in the form when you would like mail to start being delivered to your new address. Once those steps are completed, USPS will email you a confirmation code. You can use the confirmation code to modify or update your change of address request. You should start receiving your mail at the new address by the date you entered in the form.
How Do You Change Your Mailing Address In-Person When You Move?
You can also update your USPS mailing address in person by visiting your local post office during business hours. At the post office, ask an associate for a Mover's Guide packet. Inside the packet, you will find a change of address form, called PS Form 3575. Fill this form out and hand it to a post office associate. They will file it for you, updating your mailing address in the post office system.
What to Do If You Can’t Change Your Mailing Address When You Move By Yourself
If you can't access a post office location in person and are having a hard time using the USPS website to change your address, you do have options. For technical support on filling out a change of address form online, you can contact the post office via the following methods:
- Email the post office to ask for clarification. Be as detailed as possible with your question, so that a technical associate is able to respond accordingly.
- Call the customer care center at 1-800-275-8777. If you need to speak with a representative, be prepared for long hold times, especially during peak post office hours and seasons.
Either one of these methods to contact the post office can take a significant amount of time and potentially cause a lot of frustration. If you find yourself at your wit's end but still need to update your mailing address, there is one perfect option. DoNotPay can work through how to change your mailing address when you move, alleviating your stress and taking care of all the red tape.
How to Change Your Mailing Address When You Move With the Help of DoNotPay
If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
1. Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail
2. Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business)
3. Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent
4. Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)
5. And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Change Your Mailing Address When You Move
DoNotPay can easily update your mailing address for you, ensuring that you don't miss out on any important pieces of mail. DoNotPay can save you from dealing with the following problems:
- Prevents you from having to spend hours online.
- DoNotPay saves you the hassle of filling out forms and potentially dealing with glitchy software.
Plus, with DoNotPay you won't have to make any long phone calls or talk to any irritable representatives. Changing your mailing address when you move is easy and fast with DoNotPay.
|It’s Fast.||All it takes is a few minutes or less to complete the process|
|It’s Easy.||No hunting down forms or returning them to the post office; just complete the simple process right in the app|
|It’s Successful.||Receive a confirmation right away and begin receiving your forwarded mail in as little as seven days|
DoNotPay Can Help You Handle a Host of Issues and Claims
DoNotPay isn't just your one-stop solution for updating your mailing address.
DoNotPay can help with a wide variety of issues and concerns, from requesting official birth and death certificates to lowering your payday loans and disputing parking tickets.
DoNotPay puts the power in your hands, allowing you to level the playing field with large corporations and reclaim your time. If you want to simplify your life, turn to DoNotPay!