Contact USPS for Change of Address for the Deceased

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm and is not licensed to practice law. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help.

How to Submit a USPS Change of Address for the Deceased

Losing a loved one is one of the hardest things we do in our lives. It's difficult to deal with mundane things such as the deceased's mail when you are hurting. Knowing what to do and how to deal with it can be a challenge when you are already distracted by the grieving process.

The process of changing your mailing address with the USPS is a fairly straightforward process if you are only doing it for yourself. However, it's not as easy if you are doing it for a deceased loved one. There are other documents that need to accompany the change of address form that is filed with the USPS.

Let DoNotPay take the hassle out of loved one in a few simple steps. See how DoNotPay can help you with all your change of address needs during this difficult time of life.

How Much Does It Cost to Change the Deceased's Mailing Address?

There is no charge to . However, there are additional considerations that need to be taken into account.

It's also important to understand that there are websites that will try to charge for this service. For example, some websites claim they can take care of the change of address process for $40.

However, this is a third-party website unaffiliated with the Postal Service.

The only charge you might incur from the USPS is if you change your address online. The Postal Service will charge $1.10 to make the change online. However, you can always go to the office in person and make the change free of charge.

How to Change the Deceased's Mailing Address on Your Own

If you shared an address with the deceased, there are a few options. According to the USPS website, you may open the mail if you are authorized to do so. You may forward the mail to a different address, or you may forward a single piece of mail, for example, to an executor.

If you are forwarding the mail to another address, you will need to provide valid proof that you are the appointed executor or administrator authorized to manage the deceased's mail and complete a Forwarding Change of Address order at the Post Office.

Another consideration is junk mail. This is often an overlooked aspect of handling someone's mail after they have passed. If you are forwarding to another address, this can become a real nuisance. Fortunately, the Data and Marketing Association maintains a Deceased Do Not Contact, or DDNC, list to assist families in dealing with this issue.

If you’ve filed a change of address and it isn’t working, you can file a complaint with USPS:

USPS Website

Complaints Section

Phone Number1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)
Support EmailEmail Form

Submit a Change of Address for the Deceased With the Help of DoNotPay

DoNotPay makes it easy to change the address of the deceased in a few simple steps.

If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:

  1. Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail.

  2. Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business).

  3. Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent.

  4. Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)

  5. And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.

DoNotPay’s assistance in changing mailing addresses is not limited. DoNotPay can help you change your mailing address when you move permanently or when you are temporarily relocated. You can also get help for the following:

Why Use DoNotPay Submit A Change of Address for the Deceased?

DoNotPay can help you make the necessary changes with the USPS by making it:

  1. Fast—There is no need to spend hours trying to update the information on the mailing address of the deceased.
  2. Easy—There are no long forms to fill or steps to keep track.
  3. Successful—DoNotPay will make the best case for you.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

DoNotPay can solve many problems including:

End-of-life arrangements can be mentally taxing. The simple act of changing the mailing address of a loved one who has passed can be mentally exhausting and can create more heartache for an already bereaved loved one.

With the help of DoNotPay, we can help submit a loved one in a few easy steps to save you the frustration at this difficult time.

Want your issue solved now?