The Easiest Way to Submit Your USPS Address Change

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm and is not licensed to practice law. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help.

A Beginner’s Guide to USPS Address Changes

When you move from one place to another, there are many things that need to be taken care of. You're already stressed having to pack up all your stuff, so the last thing you want to deal with is your USPS address change.

Figuring out the process for changing your address can be frustrating. You must fill out all the proper paperwork and ensure that all the information you put on the form is accurate.

Once you've dealt with the change of address with USPS, you have to make sure to update it with other places like social security and the DMV. DoNotPay can handle the process for you, so you don't have to deal with reaching out to a bunch of different places to update your address.

How much time do you have to file a change of address with USPS?

When it comes to planning out your with the post office, it is best to plan ahead. If you move and have not filled out your change of address request with enough time for it to be processed, you risk the post office not forwarding your mail soon enough. It is possible for the post office to start forwarding your mail three days after you submit your request, but it can take the post office up to two weeks to process your request and start forwarding your mail.

You can never predict how fast your request will get to the post office or how busy they will be. Both of these things can impact how quickly your request is dealt with, so you want to give yourself plenty of time to be sure you get all your mail.

How much does it cost to file a change of address?

There is only a small fee to change your address, and that is only if you change it online. The post office will charge you $1.10 as an identity verification fee if you pay online. If you change it at the post office, it will not cost you anything.

How to handle your USPS address change by yourself/on your own

There are two ways to handle your USPS address change on your own. You can go online and request a change, or you can go to your local post office and do it there.

Change your address online
  1. Go to the USPS official change of address site.
  2. Select whether it is a permanent address change or a temporary one.
  3. Pay $1.10 for an identity verification fee.
  4. Fill out the online form depending on whether it is a temporary or permanent change.
  5. You will receive an email from USPS with a confirmation code. You will use this code to modify or cancel your request.
  6. After you move, you will get a welcome kit with coupons from USPS partners.
  7. Each time you get a piece of mail addressed to your previous address, the post office will forward it to your new address.

Using DoNotPay can make this process simpler. All you have to do is give us a little bit of information, and we will handle everything else. Plus, you won't have to pay a fee, so you are saving money.

Change your address at the post office
  1. Go to your local post office. Find your closest one here.
  2. Ask for a free Mover's Guide packet.
  3. Go through the packet and fill out the PS Form 3575 in the packet.
  4. Submit the form to an employee at the post office.

Using DoNotPay means that you don't even have to leave your house to get your address changed. Just load a bit of information onto DoNotPay, and we will handle everything for you.

Solve your USPS address change with the help of DoNotPay

Changing your address is just one more thing to deal with when you are trying to move from one place to another. It adds more stress to an already stressful situation, making it more likely that something will go wrong. Let DoNotPay help you by allowing them to handle your USPS address change so that you don't have to worry about it.

If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:

1. Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail

2. Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business)

3. Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent

4. Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)

5. And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.

Why use DoNotPay to solve your USPS address change

There are many reasons why you should use DoNotPay to deal with your USPS address change.

  • DoNotPay is fast: It could potentially take a while to get this done if any issues pop up. When DoNotPay handles the process, we deal with any issues that come up.
  • DoNotPay is easy: All you have to do is give DoNotPay a little information, and we handle the whole thing for you.
  • DoNotPay is successful: You can trust that DoNotPay will get it done, and you will still receive a confirmation from the USPS that it was handled.

What else can DoNotPay do?

DoNotPay doesn't just handle address changes. There is a whole host of things that DoNotPay can handle for you. Here are a few examples of the wide variety of tasks we can help you with.

  • Protect you from stalking and harassment.
  • Find your lost items.
  • Help you pay your bills.
  • Get you compensation for poor airline experiences.
  • Help you file complaints against companies.


DoNotPay is the answer to all your mailing needs. It is fast, easy, and successful and will take the pressure off you, so you can focus on your move. After the move, DoNotPay can reach out to places you have done business with to update your address with them, as well.

today to see how we can help with your USPS address change.

Want your issue solved now?