How to Request a Stripe Refund With DoNotPay
Businesses like Udemy, Instacart, Lyft, Slack, and Reddit use Stripe as a check-out option to provide their customers with a quick and straightforward payment method.
If you purchased something from any of these or other companies, using Stripe as a payment gateway, and changed your mind, there are several ways to get your money back.
What Is Stripe Refund Policy?
Stripe is a payment gateway, it does not sell anything, and you cannot request a refund from them.
The businesses that use Stripe as a check-out option can choose to issue you a full or partial refund through Stripe. Whether they will do it or not depends on the refund policy of the company you purchased from.
Am I Allowed to Dispute Charges Made via Stripe?
According to The Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), you have up to 60 days from the initial billing date to dispute a charge you disagree with.
Not every transaction is eligible for a dispute. Here are some features that allow you to request a refund:
- An unauthorized transaction
- A transaction that includes an incorrect date, amount, or calculation errors
- A charge for a product or service that was not delivered
Take note that FCBA only covers charges over $50.
DoNotPay Is the Best Method to Get a Refund for Stripe Transactions
The fastest way to get your money back for any transaction made through Stripe is to use DoNotPay. It only takes a few minutes to finish the process.
Here is how:
- Open DoNotPay in your web browser
- Tap the Chargeback Instantly option
- Give your bank details to our chatbot
- Input the name of the merchant—not Stripe, but the business you made a payment to
Once you confirm all the details, DoNotPay will take over everything else. We will contact your bank, send them a dispute letter, and provide them with the merchant’s info. DoNotPay can contact the merchant and send them a refund request, which can help build up your case.
Can I Get a Refund on Stripe if I Contact the Merchant?
If you paid through the Stripe check-out for any service, one option is to contact that service and request a refund.
If they decide to issue a refund, it will be made to your original payment method.
There are several methods to contact the merchant, and the details depend on the business itself. In most cases, you can get in touch with the merchant by:
- Accessing their website and filling out an online form to request a refund
- Sending them an email
- Making a phone call
- Showing up in person if you purchased in a local store
If the merchant refuses to cooperate and offers no refunds, your next step is to contact your bank.
How to File a Credit Card Chargeback With Your Bank for a Stripe Transaction?
Although refunds can only be given by merchants, you can get a chargeback from your bank if a particular seller is unresponsive.
There are several methods to contact your bank to help you request a refund from the seller.
Depending on your bank, here are some of the options that you may use to ask for a chargeback:
- Filling in an online form
- Contacting the bank over the phone
- Visiting the bank in person
- Sending a dispute letter
How to Request a Refund for Stripe Transactions on Your Bank’s Website
If your bank is offering an online banking service, you might have an option to request a chargeback by accessing your account online.
Make sure to prepare the merchant’s details and mark the correct transaction when filing for a chargeback.
How to Request a Refund for Stripe Transactions by Calling the Bank
Some banks will allow you to request a chargeback over the phone, or at least to ask about the procedure.
Look for the contact number in your contract or on the bank’s website.
Even if you are just calling to confirm the transaction details, you should prepare your contract number, account and credit card info, and information on the transaction and the merchant.
How to Request a Refund for Stripe Transactions by Visiting Your Bank
Sometimes a bank will only approve chargeback if they can verify your identity in-person. You should call or email first to check if this is an option. Make sure to show up during the working hours, which can be found on the bank’s website.
How to Request a Refund for Stripe Transactions With a Dispute Letter
If your bank offers an option to file for a chargeback in written form, you will probably have an opportunity to send the dispute letter either via email or by post. The instructions, including the exact address, the form of the dispute letter, and the required documents to be attached, can likely be found on your bank’s website.
Can You Request a Refund With
Yes / No / Maybe
How Long Does Stripe Refund Take?
If the merchant uses Stripe to send you a refund, the platform will issue payment to your bank immediately. Depending on your bank, it can take up to ten business days for the money to show up on your bank account.
Is the Merchant Refusing to Pay? Use DoNotPay to Sue Them!
Since Stripe will not be of great assistance when it comes to refunds, and the merchants tend to be difficult, you can get your money back by taking the business in question to a small claims court.
Did you know that our app received the 2020 Louis M. Brown Award for Legal Access and can help you sue any company in small claims court and get up to $25,000?
Open DoNotPay in your web browser, and escalate your chargeback to a lawsuit.
DoNotPay can help you with:
- Writing a demand letter—we will generate a demand letter that is best suited to your case. You can send it to the merchant to try solving the matter out of the courtroom
- Preparing the legal paperwork—DoNotPay will generate court forms in the exact number of copies that your local small claims court requires. We will also fill the forms out for you
- Creating a script for your court appearance—our app will generate a document that will help you present your case. This script will include different scenarios that you could encounter, a list of evidence, and steps to take if the defendant doesn’t show up in court
Get Rid of Administrative Junk With DoNotPay!
DoNotPay is the administrative assistant app that simplifies any painstaking task. Whether you have difficulty paying bills, filing for unemployment insurance, or learning how to get rid of spam emails on Gmail, we are here to help. A few clicks and a short chat with our chatbot will give you a solution in no time.
Access DoNotPay from your web browser to discover other useful tools we offer.
Here are some tasks we can help you solve:
- Getting rid of spam mail for good
- Signing up for free trials without revealing your credit card details
- Skipping the phone queue when calling customer service reps
- Fighting speeding tickets
- Getting revenge on robocall scammers
- Canceling various subscriptions or memberships
- Disputing traffic tickets
- Contesting parking tickets
- Dealing with challenging bills
- Keeping yourself safe from stalking and harassment
- Getting refunds from other companies
- Suing people and companies in small claims court
- Booking a DMV appointment fast and easy
- Getting compensation from airlines
- Dealing with issues with credit cards