How to Get a Santa Barbara Pet License
Statistically, California is among the top 10 best ranking states when it comes to animal protection laws. This makes obtaining or updating your essential. Santa Barbara County is moving to make sweeping changes in how it handles stray and homeless animals -- treating them more humanely at the core.
However, much of the pet licensing process requires multiple in-person visits to the County Animal Service. Coupled with scheduling and taking your pet to a veterinarian, the process as a whole can be lengthy and time-consuming. By allowing DoNotPay to handle your Santa Barbara pet registration, you can bypass much of the tedious leg work.
How DoNotPay Can Help You With a Santa Barbara Pet License
If you're running low on time, or just want an easier option, DoNotPay can help you file your request right from your laptop. Through our Pet Licenses product, we'll help you navigate the application process and check how much you owe in fees. All you have to do is answer a few questions about your pet, and we'll complete the rest of the application on your behalf!
- Go to the Pet Licenses product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the county or city you are looking to register your pet in.
- Tell us more about your pet, including the breed, gender, whether they are spayed or neutered, approximate age, and more.
- Upload evidence documents that prove that your pet has been spayed/neutered (if applicable) and a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate.
- Enter your contact information, including email, address, and phone number.
- Complete your application by paying the license processing fee, so we can apply on your behalf.
And that's it! DoNotPay will file the rest of your application on your behalf with your local city/county government. We'll update you with confirmation and a license number once the application is complete.
Why Is It Important To Register My Pet In Santa Barbara?
Santa Barbara County Animal Service has pledged to switch from animal shelters to community foster programs. The goal is to ensure that every animal receives treatment and homeless animals receive a home.
To help make the program succeed, the Santa Barbara County Animal Services has been tasked with door-to-door canvassing for dog licenses to increase compliance. The idea is to decrease the homeless animal population and stop euthanization. Equally as important, Santa Barbara County wants to increase the number of dogs rabies vaccinated.
On a more personal level, having your pet registered improves the chances of someone returning it to you if it ever gets lost. Santa Barbara County Animal Services makes it clear that any dog found without an official tag attached to her or his collar will be assumed to be an unlicensed dog and not to have been vaccinated as required in Municipal Code 6.12.050.
While late penalties only range between $17 and $35, there is a serious risk of your pet getting taken away. According to Municipal Code 6.12.050, failing to license your pet could result in "impoundment" by the City Animal Control and/or a fine.
What Are the Requirements for a Santa Barbara Pet License?
The following regulations apply to licensing dogs and cats in Santa Barbara:
- Santa Barbara doesn't require dogs and cats to be spayed or neutered by a certain age. However, the City of Lompoc and the City of Santa Maria do require all dogs over 4 months of age to be spayed or neutered unless they fall under specific exemptions.
- Santa Barbara does offer a reduced fee for dog owners who present a written statement from a licensed veterinarian at the time the license is obtained.
- The license period is not extended beyond the remaining period of the latest rabies vaccination. Additionally, licenses are only issued if the latest rabies vaccine remains valid through the end of the licensing period.
- Pet licenses can be purchased for periods of six or 12 months, expiring six to 12 months from the date of issuance.
Where Do I Go to Get My Pet License?
Santa Barbara County Animal Services offers three locations throughout the area:
- 5473 Overpass Road, Goleta, CA 93117
- 1501 West Central Avenue, Lompoc, CA 93436
- 548 W. Foster Road, Santa Maria, CA 93455
You may also choose to send your pet licensing documents via postal service, FAX, and email:
- Santa Maria Animal Shelter, 548 West Foster Rd, Santa Maria, CA 93455
- Santa Barbara Animal Shelter, 5473 Overpass Road, Goleta, CA 93111
- Santa Maria FAX: 805-934-6326
- Santa Barbara FAX: 805-681-5283
Of course, if you or someone you know is seeking pet license information for other places, DoNotPay can also assist you with:
- The State of California
- Orange County, California
- L.A. County, California
- Washington State
- King County, Washington
- Pierce County, Washington
- Maricopa County, Arizona
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Houston, Texas
How Much Do Pet Licenses Cost?
According to the Santa Barbara County website, pet licenses are priced as the following:
|Standard License Fees||6 Month||1 Year||2 Year*||3 Year*|
|Unaltered Pet Dog or Cat||$47.00||$74.50||$136.50||$198.50|
|Spayed/Neutered Pet Dog||$19.50||$34.50||$61.50||$88.50|
|Senior Discount (65+)||6 Month||1 Year||2 Year*||3 Year*|
|Unaltered Pet Dog or Cat||$31.00||$44.50||$76.50||$108.50|
|Spayed/Neutered Pet Dog||$12.00||$19.50||$34.00||$48.50|
|Late Fee (30 Days Late)||$28.00|
|Senior (65 and up) Replacement Tag||$11.50|
You should take note that a Santa Barbara pet license will not be valid for a longer period than the current rabies vaccination of your pet.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
While getting your is vital, it isn't all that the DoNotPay app can help you with. By frequently checking DoNotPay, you'll find that getting things done in life is a whole lot easier. Speaking of which, check out these other services:
- How To Get a William and Mary Application Fee Waiver
- Everything About Colleges and Fees That You Can Expect
- Contact Senator Dianne Feinstein Easily
- California Property Tax Assessment After Remodel Explained
- California Property Tax Exemption at Age 55 Explained
- And much, much more.
Requirements for registering pets differ depending on the city, county, or state in which you live, but DoNotPay's pet licensing product provides you with all the information you need to simplify and speed up the process, no matter where you live. if you need further assistance!