Do I Have Recourse When Movers Are Late?

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm and is not licensed to practice law. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help.

Do I Have Any Recourse When Movers Are Late?

Moving is tough. It's even tougher when you have to take time off from work to meet the movers. You don't just have to take PTO. You're also not accruing PTO. If your movers aren't punctual, you may find yourself wondering, ”Do I have ?”

Fortunately, the answer is yes! Unfortunately, going about getting compensation for your damages isn't easy.

With that being said, you don't have to on your own. DoNotPay can help. In this guide, we'll walk you through what options you have if a moving company fails to treat you appropriately, including how you can be compensated efficiently and effectively.

Let’s start with a look at FMCSA complaints about movers. If you’re moving from one state to another, it’s the agency to which you’ll make a complaint.

Can I File an FMCSA Complaint?

Whether you can seek recourse by filing an FMCSA complaint depends on your unique situation. FMSCA is an acronym that stands for Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and you can file a complaint with them if you believe you have been a fraud victim.

The table below explores FMCSA complaints.

What information will I need to file a complaint with the FMCSA?If you want to file a complaint with the FMCSA, you will need to provide the following information:
  • What type of complaint you are filing
  • Information about the incident
  • Your contact information
  • Information about the company
  • Evidence to back up your allegations
What contact information will I need to provide?When you file a complaint with the FMCSA, some personal information is required and other personal information is optional. The following information is required for you to file a complaint:
  1. Your first name as recognized by the Social Security Administration
  2. Your last name as recognized by the SSA
  3. Your phone number

Among the optional personal information you can provide the FMCSA is:

  • The best e-mail address to reach you at
  • Your address

But what if you didn’t move across the nation or experience fraud? You still have .

What Other Steps Can I Take if a Moving Company Was Late?

You can only file a complaint with the FMCSA if an interstate move occurred. If an interstate move did not occur, you will have to take other action.

For instance, you want to reach out to the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state. It is highly advisable that you reach out to your state's attorney general if you want to take action on your own. The AG's office can advise you on which state agency you should file your complaint with.

What Should I Do Before Filing a Claim?

First and foremost, if you want to file a complaint and get compensation for late movers, you need to read your contract very carefully. Pay particular attention to the section that mentions what the moving company is liable for.

Once you understand the liability of the moving company, you must gather any and all evidence you may have. For instance, you may want to screenshot records of any phone calls, text messages, or e-mails you may have made or sent to ask the company where your movers were.

What if I purchased moving insurance?

If you purchased moving insurance, read that contract very carefully, as well. Make sure you have a thorough understanding of what your moving insurance covers. Also, keep in mind that if a moving company steals your belongings, you are more than likely covered by your renter's insurance.

Overwhelmed yet? You’re not alone. Too many movers get away with shady business because consumers are too busy, or too mentally overwhelmed during a move, to stand up for themselves. DoNotPay can help. You do have .

Use DoNotPay to Demand Recourse When Movers Are Late

While you may have , getting a moving company to compensate you for your damages isn't easy if you plan to go about it on your own. Luckily, you don't have to seek recourse on your own. With DoNotPay, you can quickly, easily, and successfully get compensated for damages in just three simple steps.

  1. Search for moving issues on DoNotPay.

  2. Start our Solve My Moving Issues product by telling us the name of the moving company you are having issues with.

  3. Answer some questions about your specific move, your moving company, and the complaint for which you'd like relief.

It may seem too good to be true, but it really only takes a few screen taps to demand recourse when movers are late. The best part is that you can expect your demands to be met within two weeks with a fair amount of confidence. If two weeks pass and you haven't been compensated, you can use DoNotPay to send demand letters to the moving company in Small Claims court in just a few quick, easy, and successful steps.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do for Me?

DoNotPay can help you with just about anything. It can be used to demand recourse from any moving company anywhere in the country. However, it can also do a lot more. For instance, you can turn to us if you have questions about:

Want your issue solved now?