Get a Copy of Your Pierce County Marriage Certificate in Minutes
Your marriage certificate is more than just a piece of paper, it is a legal document that proves your relationship status. There are many reasons why you may need a copy of your marriage certificate. And even if you don't feel that you need a copy of it right this minute, it is always a good idea to have it on hand, just in case you need it in the immediate future.
If you need to get a copy of your , DoNotPay has a quick and easy solution.
Is There a Difference Between a Marriage Certificate and a Marriage License?
Some people mistakenly use the term "marriage license" and "marriage certificate" interchangeably. However, these are two completely different documents. To put it simply:
- A marriage license is something you get before you're married
- A marriage certificate is something you get after you are married
A marriage license is something that you need to have so that you can get married. You and your partner will go to the court clerk's office together to fill out the appropriate paperwork and show proof of identification.
At your wedding, you will give the marriage license to the officiant to sign. After it has been signed, you will return the document to the court, where the clerk will give you a copy of your marriage certificate.
How to Get a Marriage Certificate in Pierce County
To get a copy of your , you will need to fill out an online form. Some of the information that you will be required to submit includes:
- Your name
- The date you were married
- Type of marriage license you would like
- Application date
- Date of Return
If you were married before 1984, you will need to go to the Pierce County Recording Department and request a copy of your marriage certificate in person.
If you have any questions, here is a look at how to contact the Pierce County Recording Department.
|Physical Address||2401 South 35th St. #200, Tacoma, WA 98409|
|Phone Number||(253) 798-7440|
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Pierce County?
In most cases, it only costs $3 to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate. However, if you are unsure of the marriage date, you will need to pay an $8 search fee plus the $3 fee for the copy.
What to Do if You Were Not Married in Pierce County
You can only request a marriage certificate at the Pierce County Recording Department if the marriage took place in Pierce County. If you were married in another place, you can visit the Washington State Department of Health. However, going this route will be more expensive.
The cost of a marriage certificate is $25 per copy. It can take between 1 and 3 weeks to receive your copy.
DoNotPay Makes Getting a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate in Pierce County Fast and Easy
It can be confusing to try and get a copy of your marriage certificate on your own. There are many questions to answer and you have to go to a specific government department. With DoNotPay, however, you can request a copy of your marriage certificate in just a few minutes.
To get started, follow these steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
DoNotPay can help you:
- Quickly cancel all of your unwanted subscriptions
- Discover different contests and sweepstakes to enter
- Create your own passport photo
- Find out how to create a consent form for your child to travel on their own
This is not a full list of the services that DoNotPay offers. Feel free to check out a more comprehensive catalog of our services to see how we can better help you.