How to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in New York
Obtaining a New York marriage certificate can easily become a time-consuming affair. Filling in forms, printing, writing checks, scheduling a notary's appointment, and rushing to the post office can all take a toll.
For a less frustrating process, you can incorporate a hassle-free automated channel to get your marriage certificate. DoNotPay provides a faster and easier way to file a .
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses
These two documents are crucial but serve different purposes. A marriage license refers to a legal document that allows two consenting adults to marry.
A marriage certificate is the legal proof that a marriage took place.
Who Can Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in New York
These are the parties allowed to obtain a marriage certificate copy in New York.
One of the parties to the marriage is qualified to request a marriage certificate copy.
A New York State Court
A court may order a copy of the marriage certificate for judicial purposes.
A Person With Other Proper Causes
Any other person that is not a spouse can get a copy if they present documented and sufficient proof for use of the certificate.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in New York?
The following charges apply depending on the type of application you choose to make.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|N.Y. State Vital Records||P. O. Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-2602
How Long Does It Take to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in New York?
Precedence is given to an urgent request which is filed under the priority handling category at the Vital Records Processing Center. The processing time is between two to four weeks. Regular submissions are processed within 10-12 weeks from the day of receipt.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in New York?
You are required to provide the following documents along with your application for approval.
One of these forms of a valid photo ID:
- Driver's license
- U.S Military-issued ID
- State-issued non-driver ID
Or these two documents that show an applicant's details:
- A letter from a government agency dated within the past six months.
- Utility or phone bill
An individual living outside of the country is required to submit a copy of their U.S passport along with the above ID requirements.
How to Get a New York Marriage Certificate Copy By Yourself
Getting a certified copy of a New York marriage certificate is not an easy process. You first need to file a formal request with the New York State government.
This will include filling out a request form and printing it, finding and booking an appointment with a notary, signing it, mailing it alongside a copy of a government-issued I.D, and a check to the New York Vital Records office.
It is a process that takes time and effort to complete and may require you to take time off your normal schedule to visit a notary, for instance.
Next Steps for Getting a New York Marriage Certificate Copy If You Can't Do It Yourself
If you can't get the marriage certificate yourself, you can find a third party like a family member to do it for you. However, this will only increase your expenses and time investment.
Besides getting a notarized consent authenticating the process, third parties are also required to provide copies of their I.D along with an appropriate duly filled form.
Do you find this process lengthy and frustrating? Not to worry. DoNotPay is a faster and more convenient alternative that can make this process as painless as possible.
Get a New York Marriage Certificate Copy Instantly with the Help of DoNotPay
If you find the process of getting a marriage certificate copy by yourself too tedious, you can rely on an online product that will help you complete a marriage certificate copy request from the comfort of your home.
DoNotPay provides a simple way for you to locate the marriage certificate, verify your identity, and assist you to fill in the order request.
It can be frustrating to fill out the required forms and not find the time to mail in all the requirements. DoNotPay makes it easy by mailing the documents to the right records office for you along with a check to cover the transaction.
What if your order request requires notarization and you don't know how to navigate this? No need to worry. Our platform offers a fast and easy way to book an appointment with a notary through our Virtual Notary product.
How to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in New York with DoNotPay
If you want to order/get a marriage certificate in New York, but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Get Your Marriage Certificate Copy
DoNotPay offers you several advantages that eliminate the frustrations of doing it yourself.
These perks include:
- Fast – the entire process is online, which saves you a post office trip and printing costs. We also offer mailing services to help you complete the order in no time.
- Easy – you don't have to fill in tedious forms or struggle to book a notary appointment. Our online platform offers a virtual notary service to help you complete the order request.
- Successful – we will mail the order to the New York Vital Records Processing Center for you. You can rest assured you'll hear from them in a few weeks once your order process is finalized.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Helping you complete a marriage certificate copy request is just one of the many issues we can help you resolve.
Here are some of the other services we offer:
- A child's travel consent
- Canceling a subscription or service
- Creating a passport photo
- Application for defamation demand letters
- Item return request application
- Filing a complaint against a company
- Airline flight compensation
- Finding free raffle tickets
- Getting your refunds and chargebacks
DoNotPay will help you solve any of the above issues conveniently and successfully at the click of a button.
Getting a can get frustrating, especially if you try doing it yourself. Filling in forms, printing, writing checks, and mailing the documents can take up much of your time. With an efficient online tool such as DoNotPay, you can complete a marriage certificate copy request at the comfort of your home with a click of a button. Sign up today and make a request or enjoy many more fast and easy services on DoNotPay.