How to Get a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate In Nevada
Have you ever tried to get your hands on a government document of any kind? The process changes from state to state, even county-by-county. Getting a copy of your requires navigating the state's unique bureaucracy. If you need documentation to prove that your current or previous marriage is recognized by the state, there are several methods to do so.
Choosing which method to obtain your Nevada marriage license depends on your personal situation. Contacting offices directly by phone, mail, or via online forms are all possibilities. There is also an automated process, a service that handles most aspects of how to obtain your marriage certificate online while generating a legal paper trail along the way.
What Is the Difference Between a Marriage License and a Marriage Certificate?
For the sake of clarity, this distinction needs a closer look. For readers who already know what the difference is between a license and a marriage certificate, don't hesitate to move past this section. Otherwise, read on to make sure a marriage certificate is a document you need to obtain.
Marriage Licenses Come Before the Wedding
The marriage license is what the happy couple applies for before the wedding.
- The license confirms that both parties are legally able to be married.
- It is issued by your county clerk in Nevada.
The Marriage Certificate Confirms That a Legal Wedding Has Taken Place
- The marriage certificate is obtained by the officiant of the wedding, usually a minister.
- It is issued by the county clerk in your Nevada county.
- It requires the couple to already have a marriage license.
- It is often required to apply for spousal name changes, loans, mortgages, passports, and more.
Who Can Get a Certified Marriage Certificate Copy In Nevada?
Marriage certificates come in two forms: certified and commemorative. Certified marriage certificates are legally-binding documents meant to back up other forms of identification, like passports or driver's licenses. Commemorative marriage certificates are simply copies of the public statement of marriage, usually obtained as memorabilia.
Certified Marriage Certificates Are Meant for the Parties Listed on the Document
All applicants process their marriage certificate copy requests through their county seats. Either spouse can apply, as well as the original officiant of the wedding.
As for what to bring to a marriage certificate appointment? The couple must provide proof of the name, address, driver's license or state ID number, and signature of one or both spouses in the marriage in question. There are several methods for achieving this, which will be described below.
Anyone Can Apply For a Commemorative Marriage Certificate
Commemorative marriage certificates are not legally binding, so anyone can obtain one. This requires simply contacting the Nevada county clerk in question. Further information on this process is described below. All marriages in Nevada counties dating back to 1909 are available in the register.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Nevada?
It costs $20 to obtain a Nevada-certified marriage certificate. This does not include the cost of postage if that method of contacting the county clerk is preferred. That said, DoNotPay can provide the legal paper trail that mailing a hard copy of your request generates without the direct cost of postage involved.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Marriage Certificate in Nevada?
Processing times are estimated at three weeks from the receipt of a marriage certificate application at the county clerk's office. International processing times are estimated at six weeks minimum.
Both estimates are subject to delays related to information reaching the clerk's office. Normal USPS handling times apply.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Nevada?
This is the most crucial information to gather regarding how to get a marriage certificate in Nevada. For each version of this application, you should provide proof of identity. You'll need:
- Driver's license or state ID number
- The signature of one or both spouses
- A check or money order in the amount of $20 at the time of this writing
Obtaining a Copy of a Nevada Marriage Certificate on Your Own
There are three ways to apply for a Nevada marriage certificate: via mail, online, or in person. Each requires the same identification standard as in the previous section. Mail is helpful because it leaves a distinct paper trail but is limited to checks as payment. Online and in-person applications allow for credit cards, debit cards, and cash payments, as well. Do you need an appointment to get a marriage certificate? They aren't required, but calling ahead is recommended.
Obtain a Marriage Certificate By Mail
- Scan or copy the driver's license or state ID and signatures.
- Print out the official county clerk application.
- Fill out the requested information, including the mailing address, to receive the marriage certificate.
- Fill in the number of copies of the document required.
- Calculate the total cost, at $20 per copy, and include a personal check or cashier's check for the correct amount.
- Send the sealed envelope to Clark County Clerk's Office, Box 551604, Las Vegas, NV 89155-1604
Obtain a Nevada Marriage Certificate Online
- Visit your Nevada county clerk's online document search page.
- Click 'Find My Marriage.’
- Fill in the names of both spouses and the date of marriage.
- Optionally, include the marriage certificate number.
- Choose the number of documents to buy.
- Fill out payment information. Debit or credit card payments are supported.
Obtain a Nevada Marriage Certificate In Person
- Gather all of the necessary identification.
- Visit your county clerk's office.
- After confirming your identity, the clerk will provide a form to fill out your address.
- Process payment. Cash, debit or credit card, money order, and cashier's checks are all available here.
Next Steps For Getting a Copy of Your Nevada Marriage Certificate If You Can't Do It Yourself
If you can't, or prefer not to, follow the steps above, you won't be left in the cold. Perhaps you want to use a particular payment method but don't want to visit the office in person. Or, you may want to leave a distinct paper trail in a way that a non-lawyer could never do on their own. Thankfully, there are ways to gain an additional layer of assurance while also having potential difficulties ironed out on your behalf, with little input from your end.
Protect Yourself And Apply For Your Nevada Marriage Certificate Instantly With The Help of DoNotPay
Many unforeseen issues can arise while waiting for your Nevada marriage certificate. There's no reason to leave things up to chance. DoNotPay can help create a paper trail, with proper legal language, on your behalf.
If you want to Order/Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in [State/City] but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in seven easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your Nevada Marriage Certificate
DoNotPay is fast. Instead of digging through endless county clerk websites or making aggravating calls to check on the progress of your document, everything is handled for you. Why fret over how to make an appointment for a marriage certificate? DoNotPay can take it from here. It's as close as it gets to an .
Providing a few simple pieces of information is all that's required from your end. Many local bureaucracies have a tendency to spring different requirements on you. DoNotPay knows exactly what information to get from you and how to word letters to the county clerk to avoid errors.
DoNotPay handles the fluency in legalese, so you don't have to. One of the most frustrating aspects of dealing with government services is the ever-changing legal vocabulary involved. There are often simple, direct ways to get what one needs, but they aren't always the most intuitive. DoNotPay's service is all about helping people navigate these exact sorts of situations.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do For You?
After getting your marriage certificate situation shored up, DoNotPay still has much more to offer. Consider:
|Handling chargeback or refund issues||Creating passport photos after your marriage certificate arrives|
|Returning an item, you bought online or ordered from a catalog||And more|