File Moving Damage Claims Online In 3 Easy Steps
Moving from one place to another can be stressful, especially if you have items that you are worried about being broken, lost, or stolen. Most moving companies are legitimate and won't steal your items, but sometimes things do break no matter how careful they are. For example, furniture can be difficult to move due to its size and awkward shape, making furniture damage more likely. If something happens and you need to make a , DoNotPay can help.
Moving companies are required to adhere to certain standards, and if they did not do so when moving your stuff, you have the right to sue them and file a moving company complaint. You will want to open up a case with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) or a state enforcement agency. If you were renting, you might be able to claim moving damage through your renter's insurance.
If you need help going through the process of filing a claim, let DoNotPay help you. DoNotPay can even help you sue the moving company.
Types of Complaints Against Moving Companies
There are quite a few reasons that might justify you filing a complaint against a moving company.
- One or more of your items suffered minor or extensive damage because the moving company didn't take care of them properly.
- The moving company lost some of your belongings.
- The moving company was rude to you or didn't listen to your concerns.
- The moving company did not arrive on time to pick up your belongings, or they were late to deliver your stuff.
- The moving company was intentionally doing things slowly to charge you more. This is only relevant if you are charged hourly.
- You are charged more than you expected and don't understand why.
These are not the only reasons you might file a complaint against a moving company, but they are the most common ones. If the moving company breaks the terms of your contract in any way, you should consider filing an official complaint, along with leaving customer service reviews in multiple places. Make sure to be specific about what your problems were to warn other people.
How to File a Moving Complaint
If you have an issue with your moving company, it's always a good idea to try to resolve it with them first, before elevating it to a higher level. There is likely a place on their website for you to communicate your complaint to have it dealt with. However, if that doesn't work, there are two ways to resolve your conflict.
|FMCSA||If you are moving across state lines and have an issue with your moving company, you will need to reach out to the FMCSA. They handle all moving complaints that don't occur in one state.|
|State Enforcement Agencies||If you are moving but staying within the state, you will have to look for the state enforcement agency for your state. Follow these steps to do so.
What You Should Do Before Filing an Official Complaint
Before you file any complaints against a moving company, there are a few things you should do first.
- Look over your contract again to remind yourself of the mover's liability.
- Get together any evidence you have, such as moving insurance you bought.
- If the company did break the contract, reach out to the company with your complaint.
- If they don't give a satisfactory reply, you can decide to sue them or file a complaint.
How to File a Moving Damage Claim With the Help of DoNotPay
If you need to file a and aren't sure the best way to go about it, DoNotPay can help.
Here is how you can file a complaint against a moving company through DoNotPay.
- Search for moving issues on DoNotPay.
- Start our Solve My Moving Issues product by telling us the name of the moving company you are having issues with.
- Answer some questions about your specific move, your moving company, and the complaint for which you’d like relief.
DoNotPay will write a letter to your moving company that details your complaints and demands for compensation and relief. It will also warn against a lawsuit if those demands aren't met. If they don't respond within two weeks, we can help you escalate to small claims court!
DoNotPay Works Across a Multitude of Services
We are happy to help you file a complaint against your moving company, but there is so much more we can help you with. Here are some examples of ways we can assist you.
- Learn how to skip phone queues
- File a complaint against any company
- Get compensated for poor airline experiences
Moving is a stressful enough experience as it is, so when something goes wrong, it's the last thing you want to deal with. The good news is that DoNotPay can help you easily file a complaint against a moving company. Reach out today to see how we can help you with this, among other things.