How to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Missouri
Getting a copy of a Missouri marriage certificate can be important for many reasons. You may be looking to change your last name to your spouse's, needing to prove your marriage for health insurance purposes, or applying for a joint bank account, just to name a few examples.
Whatever the reason for your need, getting a copy of a Missouri marriage certificate can be quite a process, and hangups can be common. DoNotPay is here to make the process easier, however. It can handle much of this process for you, leaving you with more time to do other things.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses in Missouri
First, it's important to understand that there's a difference between a . A license comes before the ceremony. It's basically permission to get married.
Once you've filled out your license and gotten it signed by the officiant, it will go back to the city or county office, which will then fill out your marriage certificate and make it official.
Who Can Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Missouri?
Persons who can request copies of a marriage certificate in Missouri include the following:
- Bride or groom
- Other family members
- Genealogists representing family members
- Professionally recognized genealogists
- An attorney acting on behalf of the certificate holder
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Missouri?
The charge for a marriage certificate in Missouri varies by county office. You will need to consult with the Recorder of Deeds in the county where you were married in order to get accurate pricing.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Missouri?
In order to be issued a certified copy of a marriage certificate, you will need to establish your identity by providing appropriate documentation. You must provide one of the following:
- A state issued driver's license that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A state issued identification card that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A current U.S. military identification card that includes a photograph
- A U.S. passport with current photograph
- A current school identification card/document showing applicant's name, photograph, and date of school year
- Work identification card that includes the applicant's name, photograph, and company name
If you do not have one of the above available, you will need to provide two forms of identification from the list below. Alternate documents must display the name of the applicant and may display date of birth, date of issuance (or year). They must also display the institution, company, organization, or agency name. Alternate documentation may include the following:
- A letter from government or social agencies
- A school yearbook
- A W-2 form issued within last year in addition to a signed Social Security card (social security numbers must match)
- A social Security card or Social Security Numident printout (print out of an applicant's Social Security account of activities)
- Court certified adoption papers that includes adopted parent(s) name
- Official certified deeds or title to property
- A certificate of vehicle title or registration documents
- Proof of auto insurance
- Copy of an insurance policy (health, home, life, etc.)
- Medicaid/Medicare documents or an identification card
- A payroll stub that includes the Social Security number of the applicant (cannot be handwritten stubs)
- A military discharge document (DD-214)
- A canceled duplicate check (must show name, address, signature, and name of institution)
- Utility bills which show the name and address of the applicant (water, gas, electric, telephone)
- A shelter name band (including the name of the shelter)
Getting a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Missouri By Yourself
Once you have the appropriate documentation, there are various ways to get a copy of a Missouri marriage certificate on your own. Here are a few:
|Request a certificate online
|To request a Missouri marriage certificate online, you can order online through VitalChek. You will be asked to provide information about the marriage, including the date of the marriage, the county where it occurred, and the names and birthplaces of the spouses.
|Order a certificate by phone
|You can also call VitalChek at 1-877-817-7363 to begin processing your request.
|Request a certificate by mail
|Download the form from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, fill it out, and mail it to the address indicated, along with appropriate payment.
Next Steps for Getting a Missouri Marriage Certificate if You Can't Do it Yourself
If you don't have the bandwidth to walk through these processes yourself or to decide which one makes the most sense for you, you may need to reach out to a legal representative to do it for you. This can also be time-consuming and costly, however.
But now there's a better way. With DoNotPay, you get fast, easy service, and you can rest assured that your request is being handled properly and efficiently. How does getting a marriage certificate through DoNotPay work? Read on to learn more.
How To Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Missouri with DoNotPay
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Here's why you should let us advocate for you now or whenever you need to order personal records:
- Fast—Don't spend hours trying to research towns, name versions, and dates: We'll help, or we'll do it for you!
- Easy—Don't struggle to download, print, and fill out tedious forms.
- Secure—Your personal information is sensitive, and it's safe with us.
- Successful—Rest assured knowing we'll accurately submit your information for the fastest ordering turnaround!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
- Chargebacks and refunds
- Unattended Child travel consent paperwork
- Membership cancellations
- Getting your passport photo—fast!
- Assistance with filing formal complaints
Let DoNotPay help you with your Missouri marriage legal paperwork today.