The Best Way to Get a Copy of Your Lorain County Marriage Certificate
If you've ever needed a copy of your marriage certificate, you know how much panic it can cause when you can't locate it. Without your , you may have difficulty filing your taxes or getting a home loan. You often can't get a copy of your marriage certificate online: you'll have to visit your local courthouse.
However, every county in Ohio also has its own rules about who can apply for a marriage certificate copy. Nobody wants to waste all day at a busy government building, only to be turned away. If you're not sure how to get a marriage certificate copy, DoNotPay has all the answers.
Where Can You Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Lorain County?
Only the Lorain County Probate Court can supply copies of misplaced or destroyed marriage certificates. The marriage certificate also had to be authenticated in Lorain County. If it wasn't, this courthouse will have no record of your marriage.
If you're not sure you were married in Lorain County, you can contact the courthouse to verify that information. For the quickest assistance, use either:
- Phone: (440) 329-5176
- Email: Fill out the form at the bottom of this page and submit it. A county clerk will send a reply to your email address with more information.
Marriage Certificate Copy Fees
For marriage license and certificate copies, you'll have to pay $1 per copy. You can pay the Probate Court with:
- Personal checks that are dated and signed (with Lorain County Probate Court as the recipient)
- Money orders with your signature and address (also to be received by Lorain County Probate Court)
Do You Need Any Additional Documents to Get Your Marriage Certificate Copy?
In most Ohio probate courts, all you need to complete is the marriage certificate copy request form. However, if you give the court any reason to doubt the validity of your identity, the court clerks may require additional documentation. This is sometimes due to misspelling either spouse's name or providing the incorrect issue date as stated on the certificate.
If this happens, you might also be asked for:
- A state I.D. or driver's license of you and/or your spouse
- You and/or your spouse's social security number
- Verification of the city where you were married
- Any other names on the certificate (such as the priest who performed the ceremony)
- Proof of your marriage license
How to Get a Lorain County Marriage Certificate By Yourself
Unfortunately, getting copies of marriage certificate documents can be confusing in Lorain County. There is no formal request form online, so you'll have to visit the courthouse yourself.
Walk-ins are not permitted at this time, so you might have to call and schedule an appointment. Be sure to bring enough money to cover the fees.
However, Lorain County does have a form for marriage license copies. You might be able to use it for certificate copy requests if you follow these steps:
- Print out the form and fill out the required information.
- Include a hand-written or typed note specifying that you'd like a marriage certificate copy instead.
- Put these documents in an envelope along with your means of payment.
- Include a self-addressed envelope with appropriate postage paid to receive your certified copy in the mail.
You can deliver the completed form in two ways.
|You should address the application letter to:
Lorain County Probate Court
225 Court Street, 6th Floor
Elyria, OH 44035
|You can drop off your letter by visiting the Courthouse from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. The Lorain County Probate Court is closed on weekends. However, since the courthouse is discouraging walk-ins, call ahead of time to ask if you can drop off the letter without an appointment.
Sometimes you can follow the instructions correctly and still have your request denied. For example, if the marriage certificate was filled out incorrectly, it may not have been archived at all.
An inexperienced clerk also might send you a copy of your marriage license instead of the certificate. You'll have to go through the process all over again, including paying another fee.
Not Sure How to Proceed? Let DoNotPay Help
People usually don't request copies of marriage certificates until they need them for something important. Waiting around on slow, tedious government processes can cause you unnecessary stress. If you need to ask for help from the Probate Court, it may take someone a few days to answer your questions.
Lorain County also doesn't offer a timeframe for when you'll actually receive your marriage certificate copy. However, with DoNotPay, most requests are processed in a few weeks or less.
If you need to order a but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
DoNotPay is an excellent solution for retrieving because:
- DoNotPay quickly tells you exactly what you need to know with no guesswork required.
- The DoNotPay interface is easier to use compared to older, often-outdated government websites.
- DoNotPay makes sure that your requests are always completed successfully.
If You Have Another Problem, DoNotPay Probably Has the Answer
DoNotPay isn't just the easiest alternative for getting marriage certificate copies. When you sign up with DoNotPay, you'll also get access to:
- Divorce certificate assistance
- Birth certificate services
- Advanced health care directive information
- Power of attorney preparation and documentation services
- Identity theft protection
For more information, log in to your DoNotPay account today.