Need a Georgia Marriage Certificate? Here's the Easiest Way to Get One!
You may need to prove you're married for a number of different reasons. That's why it's important to get a copy of your Georgia marriage certificate and store it somewhere safe. After all, you don't want to go through all the hassle of getting another one, do you?
A fireproof safe is a great, fairly inexpensive way to store all of your important records in one safe, convenient place. Keep birth certificates, Social Security cards, your Georgia marriage license, Georgia marriage certificate, car titles, and other important documents in it. That way you won't have to go through the time-wasting and often expensive trouble of replacing them in case of a fire or other disaster.
Of course, there is an easier solution to the problem of replacing important paperwork like your . Let DoNotPay take care of it for you! Our automated process is faster, more convenient, and way less frustrating than trying to do it yourself.
What's the Difference Between a Marriage License and a Marriage Certificate?
Marriage license and marriage certificate are often used interchangeably. However, they're not at all the same.
|Marriage License||Gives you Georgia's official approval to get married.|
|Marriage Certificate||Proves that you are legally married.|
A Marriage Certificate is the proof you'll need whenever you have to show that you're officially married. It's also your entry into Georgia's vital statistics record.
The Department of Vital Statistics Keeps Track of Key Moments in Life:
If you ever need a copy of one of these official records, each relevant state's Department of Vital Statistics is where you'll find it. If you were born in one state, married in a second, and had a child in a third, you'd have to visit all three to get all of your records!
How to Get a Georgia Marriage Certificate on Your Own
You should receive your Georgia marriage certificate in the mail within 30 days of the marriage ceremony. That's if the officiant remembered to send it in, it didn't get lost in the mail, and there wasn't a recordkeeping error or some other problem that caused a hiccup in the process.
If the original doesn't arrive in a timely manner, you'll have to look into getting a copy of your Georgia marriage certificate. It's an essential document for myriad reasons, including the six below.
- Changing the name on your driver's license
- Getting a passport or visa
- Filing taxes
- Opening a bank account
- Getting insurance
- Applying for a mortgage
Are You Feeling Frustrated Trying to Get a Copy of Your Georgia Marriage Certificate?
The process of tracking down a Georgia marriage certificate can be a bit complex. For marriages performed between June 1952 and August 1996, the records will be at the Vital Records office. For marriages before or after those dates, the records will be at the Probate Court of the county in which the marriage took place.
Getting a certified copy of a marriage certificate means filing a formal request with the Georgia state government. Do that by contacting the State Office of Vital Records at the Georgia Department of Public Health.
You can file a record request in person at the Georgia State Office of Vital Records or at any County Vital Records Office. Filing a request online isn't currently an option for anyone wanting a copy of their Georgia marriage certificate. You can, however, request a copy by mail. Just don't expect to receive it anytime soon if you go the mail route. The state's estimated response time is 8-10 weeks!
Follow These 5 Steps in Order to Get a Certified Copy of Your Georgia Marriage Certificate:
- Gather the required documents (the printed request form and a valid photo ID)
- Make clear copies of your ID if you're mailing the request.
- Fill out the request form, including your email address and phone number.
- Make sure you sign your request if you're mailing it.
- Either go to the state or county office in person or mail your request.
- Include exact payment with your record request. Only U.S. money orders or certified checks are accepted for mailed-in requests.
The $10 non-refundable search fee entitles you to one certified copy of your Georgia marriage certificate. Additional copies are $5 each as long as they're requested at the same time.
Fortunately, DoNotPay Makes Getting Copies of Vital Records Easy
You can skip the hassles and frustrations of doing it yourself when you . Instead of inconvenient office visits, long lines, wasted time, or weeks waiting for your certified copy of your marriage certificate to arrive, you can sit back and relax. DoNotPay will handle everything for you! Our process is fast, easy, and successful!
How to Order/Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Georgia with DoNotPay
If you want to Order/Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Georgia but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
What Else Can DoNotPay Help You With?
- File an effective complaint that will be heard and acted upon.
- If someone is defaming you, a defamation demand letter may be just what you need to make them stop.
- Request airline flight compensation for that less-than-ideal flight experience.
- Learn how to cancel an unwanted service or subscription.
This is just a small sampling of life's irritating or annoying problems that DoNotPay can help solve!