How to Send Messages to Inmates at Elmira Correctional Facility
(commonly known as Elmira Prison, Elmira, and "The Hill") is one of New York's maximum security prisons for men. Many people know this prison because of its controversial founder, Zebulon Brockway, who imposed strict military discipline on the inmates. The facility devolved into a more standard prison after his retirement, with a focus on educational programs and counseling services.
Anyone outside the prison can also write letters to inmates and schedule visits. However, prison mail is strictly regulated, and can be hard to deliver if you don't know a prisoner's DOC number. DoNotPay is the simplest way to locate and communicate with your loved ones in Elmira.
About Elmira Prison
Elmira Correctional Facility has housed many notable inmates, including film director Harvey Weinstein. It was also the subject of the documentary Breakout, chronicling the escape of Timothy Morgan and Timothy Vail.
Elmira Correctional Facility Contact / Location Information
|Physical Address||Elmira Correctional Facility
1879 Davis St
Elmira, New York 14901-0500
|General Phone Number||(607) 734-3901|
|General Fax Number||N/A|
Inmate Mailing Address
Inmate Name, DOC Number
Elmira Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 500
Elmira, New York 14901-0500
Connecting With an Inmate Inside Elmira Correctional Facility
Correspondence with their families is often an integral part of an inmate's rehabilitation. For those without immediate family to contact, having a pen pal can be especially appreciated!
- You can visit any inmate in the general population or Reception Center from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day.
- Depending on who you'd like to visit, you need to arrive between 2:00-2:15 p.m.
- There are no limits on visits per day except for Special Housing Unit inmates, who can have one visitation per week.
Each prisoner is allowed to see up to three visitors and one child (five years old or below) per visit. When you arrive, you need to leave valuables and any contraband items in your car. Simple clothing is recommended, as you will be asked to walk through a metal detector.
Sending Letters and Packages
Inmates in this facility are allowed to receive letters that are five pages long or less. Photographs can be included. However, your letter may be returned to sender if:
- It contains nude photographs
- It contains polaroids
- It has an unused stamp
- It was written by another person (children are excluded from this rule)
- Either the letter or envelope has been sprayed with perfume
are also permitted to receive two food packages per year. Every item has to have a nutrition label and each package cannot weigh over 20 pounds.
You can also send an inmate recreational supplies, approved reading materials, and even tobacco products. Some toiletries and cosmetics are permitted as long as none of the items contain alcohol. You can also send special clothing to an inmate, but certain colors and materials are banned.
Sending Money to Elmira Correctional Facility
You have five options for sending cash, checks, or money orders to any Elmira Prison inmate. They are as follows:
1. The JPay website or mobile app
2. The visitor deposit lockbox located at the Elmira Correctional Facility
3. The JPay lockbox, located at:
PO Box 531190
Miami, Florida 33153
4. Moneygram locations (using receive code 1317)
5. By phone at 1-800-574-5729
Inmates can contact you by phone, but you can't call an inmate yourself. To receive these calls, you'll need to call Securus to make an account or do it yourself online.
DoNotPay Helps You Reach Incarcerated Friends
When someone you love is inside , you don't want to jump through a million hoops just to send your letter. DoNotPay simplifies the process and gets your message delivered every time. All you need to do is:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
Here's What Else DoNotPay Can Do!
Our users are often pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to connect with inmates using our products. We also offer hassle-free solutions for:
- Finding a local DMV and scheduling an appointment
- Signing up for free trials with no risk of accidental charges
- Applying for important clinical trials
- Stopping robocalls
- Getting your case heard in small claims court
- Appealing a parking ticket
- Keeping up with bills
- Getting refunds after flight cancellations
- Getting a refund from any other company
- Stopping any recurring subscription
- Getting rid of annoying spam emails
- Using a burner phone
- Credit card problems
- Shortening your time on hold
- Taking next steps after being stalked or harassed
- Avoiding text spam
- Finding missing money that belongs to you
- Getting copyright infringement protection for your work
Try it today!