Get Your DC Marriage Certificate With Less Stress
"I do" is the most magical statement you tell your better half when you tie the knot for life. This is a joyous and memorable moment. Everything is going fine, and you are having fun.
But something is bothering you like a constant itch; getting your as you settle down.
Enter DoNotPay with your wedding gift, a faster, more convenient, automated, less frustrating way of obtaining your marriage documents. Our online process saves you time and eliminates the challenges you might encounter.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses in DC
For your wedding to qualify as legal and binding, various documents must come into play. While a Washington and marriage certificate go hand in hand, they are two different documents.
A marriage license is issued by a government authority to permit you to marry (before the wedding). Think of it as an application to get married. This marriage document also authorizes officiants to perform weddings and sign your marriage certificate.
On the other hand, you get a marriage certificate after the actual wedding ceremony. This document proves a legal union between two people within DC and solidifies your status as married partners. A marriage certificate is a certified copy of your marriage license and contains an extra notarized page confirming its validity.
It's also an essential part of changing your name following nuptials and receiving all the benefits of being newlyweds.
Who Can Get a Copy of a DC Marriage Certificate?
are in the public domain so anyone can access them. However, only individuals who can provide the necessary documentation to expedite a records search can access the said records. In the District of Columbia, however, the list of individuals who can get copies of your marriage certificates is pretty short:
- Your spouse (on the official records)
- Your children
- Your parents and grandparents
- Your legal guardian
- Your legal representative
- Your attorney
- Your spouse's attorney
How to Get a Copy of a DC Marriage Certificate by Yourself
Before you even start writing your romantic vows, you must understand how to obtain your marriage documents. It's better to know beforehand rather than coming back from your honeymoon and begin researching while going through the hustle. To get your marriage license and certificate in Washington DC, follow this procedure:
About the The Marriage Bureau
Located in the Moultrie Courthouse, the marriage bureau handles all matters relating to marriage licenses and certificates.
This body is responsible for:
- Authorizing wedding officiants (religious leaders and civil celebrants) in DC
- Advice on wedding matters such as license and certificate application procedures and marriage document correction
- Maintaining marriage records
There are two ways to request marriage documents in DC:
Both Marriage license and certificate, You can visit:
District of Columbia Superior Court
Marriage Bureau - JM 690
500 Indiana Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20001
From there, you'll get all the help you need.
|Visit the Marriage Bureau online portal to request a marriage license from your web browser. You will be required to prove your age through:
You will pay $45 in cash, credit card, or check or money order payable to:
'The Clerk, DC Superior Court,' to the same address outlined above. It's also important to know marriage licenses in DC don't expire.
|Visit the Marriage Bureau online portal to request a marriage certificate from your web browser.
Be ready with full names and maiden names (yours and your partner's) and the marriage date.
After submitting the request, you'll be directed to an online payment portal to pay $10 per copy to mail the document to you. However, if you are unable to use the online payment system, you can send a check or money order payable to:
'The Clerk, DC Superior Court,' to the same address outlined above.
What Else Should I Know Before Requesting DC Marriage Documents?
You'll have to be patient when applying for a . When you visit the Marriage Bureau, it might take you over an hour to go through security and another few hours before receiving any service.
Typically, the bureau sends the documents by mail when you make your payments. On a good day, this process might take 4 - 8 weeks. On a bad day, which is most of the time when the bureau cites challenges receiving or processing your request. It might take longer before you receive the document in such a case.
Do you have the time to wait in such long queues for that long? Do you have the resources or skills to go through the online process? You shouldn't be facing such challenges when you are starting your new life. Let DoNotPay handle them for you.
Get Your DC Marriage Certificate With the Help of DoNotPay
If you want to Order/Get a , but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your DC Marriage Certificate
Getting married should be a special moment in your life. It is a time you should enjoy gifts and other good stuff and forget that certain hustles even exist. Getting your Washington DC marriage license easily is one of those things. That's why we promise:
- An easy and convenient way to use our platform without any annoying forms to worry about
- Guaranteed success as our experience makes us your best bet
- Lightning-fast process, saving you time so you get back to enjoying your marriage
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
This is your moment, so helping you get your marriage license online in Washington DC is our gift to you. Let us worry about getting you free trials, boosting your credit limit, and creating a power of attorney. Better still, we can also help you achieve:
- Defend yourself against defamation
- Going on your honeymoon? Enjoy airline flight compensation
- How to get chargebacks and refunds
- Travel with a child legally and effortlessly
- You are honeymooning, you don't need unnecessary services and subscriptions
- Create fantastic passport photos, similar to your wedding photos
- Your catering company failed you? Complain about them
- Win amazing prizes from free raffle tickets
- Return all those identical items and gifts
Join DoNotPay today to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate!