Get a Copy of Your Allegheny County Marriage Certificate In 5 Minutes
From the outside, weddings seem like a dream come true, but only those who have participated in the planning know just how much behind-the-scenes work goes into them. One part of this is the legal aspect of marriage, which results in a marriage certificate for the couple.
Certificates have plenty of uses in addition to being the legal proof of your relationship, so it's important to have a copy with you wherever you are. If you happen to lose your copy, you can use DoNotPay to get a new copy of your quickly and easily.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses
Despite their similar names, a marriage license and marriage certificate are two different things. When you first apply to be married at your county clerk's office, you'll receive a marriage license. This is the document you fill out for your wedding ceremony, with the names of the couples and the required number of witnesses. Once it's turned in by an officiant, the couple receives a marriage certificate that acts as legal proof of their union.
- The marriage license is what you fill out during your wedding.
- The marriage certificate is the document you'll get to keep as proof of your marriage.
Who Can Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Allegheny County?
Anyone can search for and request a marriage certificate copy in Allegheny County, but not all requests are accepted. For the most part, only those with immediate relation to the married couple (the couple themselves, their family, etc.) will be able to get a copy after the review is conducted.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Allegheny County?
The cost of getting a marriage certificate copy in Allegheny depends on the type of copy you are requesting.
|Type of Copy
(those used just for displaying or keeping)
|$4.00 per copy
(i.e. certified copies that can be used for legal procedures)
|$10.00 per copy
|Search fee - unsuccessful searches
How Long Does It Take to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Allegheny County?
Most review processes take around five days to complete. After this happens and your request for a copy is approved, it will take a few business days to mail your certificate to your location. All in all, expect one to two weeks between the start of your request and get your certificate.
Request a Copy of Your Allegheny County Marriage Certificate on Your Own
It is possible to request a copy of your marriage certificate in Allegheny County on your own. However, this process is somewhat slow and hard to figure out since the Allegheny County website is a bit confusing to use. If you don't have time for dealing with all of this, it's much easier to get DoNotPay to request a copy of your marriage certificate for you.
If you still want to do it on your own, though, you can try this online method:
- Use the Allegheny County Department of Court Records search page to find your certificate.
- When you see your certificate, click to view it. Note that marriages before 1996 are not viewable online but can still be ordered.
- Click the option for ordering a copy.
- Type in your information, including your address and payment details.
- Submit your request. It will be a few days as your request is reviewed. When it is accepted, you'll be notified that your copy is on its way.
Get a Copy of Your Allegheny County Marriage Certificate Fast With DoNotPay
If you're frustrated with how long the process for getting your marriage certificate can be when you do it on your own, just let DoNotPay handle it for you. We'll get you a copy of whichever documents you need, and all you have to do is follow these steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- Next, you can notarize your document by scheduling a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Now that you have a new copy of your , you can start solving your other problems with DoNotPay's help. Here are some of our other services you might need:
Give the app a try today to start simplifying all of life's problems.