Yes, You Can Refuse to Pay Resort Fees - Here's How
Whether you're staying at a hotel or luxury resort, you can get rid of those unexpected that add up and put a dent in your vacation budget. These fees can include anything from extra charges for Wi-Fi access, pool fees, room service surcharges, and the ubiquitous, inexplicable, and somewhat generic "resort fee".
You've probably found resort fees on past hotel bills, and thought it wasn't worth your time to get them reversed. That may be the case if you "go it alone", but if you use DoNotPay, your efforts—which, by the way, will be almost nothing—will be rewarded!
How to Fight Resort Fees On Your Own
You have two options for fighting : Find and stop them before you confirm your booking, or retroactively have them removed from your bill.
Preventing Hotel and Resort Fees From Being Added to Your Charges
Unfortunately, all the conveniences of online booking go out the window when you decide to fight resort fees before you finalize your reservation. Cut out the middleman, and speak directly with the hotel or resort manager to ensure you don't get unwanted fees tacked onto your stay.
- Shop around and find out what other hotels and resorts in the area are charging the same dates of your vacation.
- Call the hotel front desk and ask for a reservation manager.
- Ask them to explain any fees, as well as the actual room rates, you can expect to find on your bill upon checkout.
- This is a good time to request and confirm any special hotel discounts and ask for free hotel upgrades with the help of DoNotPay.
- Ask to have the fees waived, letting them know that you can always take your business to one of the other local resorts. (Let them know you've done your homework!)
- Insist that any additional charges be authorized by you before being added to your bill.
- Have the manager email you a copy of your reservation with the approved total.
Note, unless you have coupons or special promotions included in your room rate, you can expect to have legitimate extra charges added to your bill, including:
- Room service
- Dry cleaning, and laundry service
- Additional towels, especially for poolside use
- Tips for bell, room, and valet service
- Pet deposits and fees
Reversing Hotel and Resort Fees at or After Checkout Time
While the very best time to fight resort fees is before you confirm your reservation—that is when you have the most leverage—you can always help the resort gain one more satisfied customer by requesting hidden and unexpected fees be waived once you get your bill. The best way to do this is in writing, with a firm but a professionally-written letter. Here's what we recommend you do:
- Call the resort or hotel, and get the name, phone number, email, and business mailing address for the general manager.
- Enclose a photocopy or scan of your original confirmation, including the room rates and fees you were quoted.
- Enclose a photocopy or scan of your bill at checkout, including itemized expenses and fees.
- Circle the fees you wish to have reversed.
- Write a cover letter explaining that you are requesting that these fees be reversed, and why. For example, do you feel they are:
- Unnecessary or excessive?
- Charged by accident?
- Charged in bad faith?
- Send your documents by USPS mail (delivery confirmation recommended) or to the General Manager's e-mail address.
- Follow up within seven days of mailing a physical letter, or five days if you email your request.
While threatening to leave a bad review or otherwise "badmouth" a business isn't a professional strategy, you can certainly state that you will neither be a repeat customer nor recommend their location to friends, family, or business associates. Letting them know you are disappointed in their lack of integrity—should the fees truly appear to be charged in bad faith—is often enough to get the manager to concede and reverse the fees.
How to Kill Resort Fees the Easy Way With DoNotPay
What if you'd rather let a "virtual attorney" make sure you get the rates you were quoted, without having to haggle with resort management or write strongly-worded letters? That's what DoNotPay can do for you in just three easy steps!
- Search "appeal fees" on DoNotPay, choose the Fight and Waive Fees product, and select the type of fee you want to appeal.
- Select the merchant you want to appeal fees for and enter the details of your transaction, including an associated account if you have one.
- Submit your fee waiver request! DoNotPay will generate the best argument for your case and make sure your fee waiver request gets sent to the resort for processing.
That's a LOT easier than the alternative, isn't it? And likely more successful.
Other Fees DoNotPay Will Fight on Your Behalf
These are the extra charges DoNotPay can help you reverse:
|eBay fees||Coinbase fees|
|Robinhood fees||Paypal seller fees|
|Spirit Airlines baggage fees||American Airlines baggage fees|
|Chase Bank checking account fees||Etsy fees|
|Homeowners Association (HOA) fees||Shopify fees|
DoNotPay can even cancel timeshare agreements!
What Else DoNotPay Can Do For You
We started out fighting parking tickets for people like you, and quickly expanded our products to solve hundreds of consumer challenges. Here are just a few:
- Find and apply for scholarships
- Contact embassies and consulates
- Notarize any document online
- Find and use standardized legal documents
- Create passport photos at home
- Reduce your property taxes
- Get compensated for airline cancellations and bumps
- Get an online account unbanned
- File a complaint against any company
Are You Ready to Let DoNotPay Reverse the Resort Fees You Shouldn't Have to Pay?
Let's get started now! You'll be thrilled to see how fast, easy, and successful we are, and you'll likely want to check out our other consumer advocacy products. Welcome to DoNotPay!