Contesting a Providence Parking Ticket Easily
You’ve probably watched Judge Frank Caprio in the series Caught in Providence. And one of the most prevalent cases is those that involve contesting a parking citation. It’s quite ironic as one of the most common stories over the internet is the lack of signages or vague signs in Providence. In this article, we will guide you through the process of disputing a Providence parking ticket and what to do if you are issued a citation.
How Much Are Parking Tickets in Providence
One of the many horror stories of first-time visitors to Providence is that there are not a lot of parking signs in the city. There is also not a lot of public information that you can use as a reference for the cost of Providence parking tickets. We did our own research online and have compiled the following information:
|Overnight Parking (2 AM to 5 AM)||$20|
|Overtime Parking (5 AM to 2 AM)||$20|
|Parking Without Permit - Residential Zone||$20|
|Parking With Expired Meter||$25|
|Parking in a Prohibited Area||$30|
|Parking in a Loading Zone||$30|
|Parking to Obstruct Driveway||$30|
|Standing in Prohibited Area||$30|
|Parking Within 25 Feet of a Corner||$30|
|Parking With Left Wheel to Curb||$30|
|Parking Within 8 Feet of Fire Hydrant||$30|
|Parking on Sidewalk||$100|
|Parking During Emergency||$100|
|Parking That Obstructs Traffic||$75|
|Parking in Tow Zone||$100|
Paying For a Providence Citation
Paying your outstanding accounts will require a ticket number or notice number. When looking up numbers online, take note that it may take some time to be uploaded. Tickets issued by a Parking Enforcement Officer will upload nightly while tickets issued by police officers may take longer. A 14-day late payment penalty results in double the amount while 28 days results in triple the amount. Paying for your parking tickets can be done through the following:
- Paying online via Providence Pay-by-Web using Mastercard or Visa and with a $3.50 convenience fee.
- Mailing a check or money order payable to the Providence Municipal Court and addressed to
Providence Municipal Court
325 Washington Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
- Calling (866) 263-0475 and paying using a credit card.
- Visiting in person at the Providence Municipal Court from Mondays to Fridays.
Take note the payment after business hours and on weekends and holidays can also be done through the secure lock box located in the outer lobby. However, your payment will be processed the next business day.
Providence Parking Citation Appeals
When you receive a traffic ticket in Providence there are different ways that you can respond. You can either pay the fine, request to mitigate, or request a contested hearing. Regardless of how you plan to respond, you should take note of the 15-day ticket due date.
- Requesting a mitigation hearing – Doing so could result in either a fine reduction, monthly payment plan, or community service.
- Requesting a contested hearing – If you feel like the violation was made out of mistake or warrants a hearing, you may file for a contested hearing at the county clerk by ticking the correct check box on the ticket and then sending it by mail to the court.
Parking Tickets While in a Rental Car
If you were issued a parking ticket while in a rental car, check with your rental contract. The written document will have a policy for how to handle parking tickets. It usually will require the renter to take responsibility and pay the citation when dropping off the car. If the renter fails to do so, the car rental agency will apply the cost on the credit card, including the administrative fee, which is around $25 to $100. Here below are the most common policies of rental agencies:
- Triangle Rent a Car – sends the citation to the renter for payment
- Atwest Rent A Car Corp. – imposes a $45 administrative fee
- Rent4Less – imposes a $100 administrative fee
- Payless – transfers the collection duties to a third party to collect any violation fees and a service charge
- Dollar Thrifty – imposes a $25 administrative fee
Appealing Parking Tickets In Providence In Less Than 120 Seconds
Contesting a ticket can be a daunting task. There are appeal deadlines to follow and countless paperwork to sift through. That is where DoNotPay can help. We are the world’s and we make disputing citations quick and efficient. We have been featured in many news articles including BBC. All you have to do is:
- Go to and answer a few questions.
- The Robot Lawyer will generate an automatic letter written specifically for Providence.
- Press ‘Send’ and DoNotPay will send the letter on your behalf.
That’s it! All you have to do next is wait for the results!