Breath Easily: Make Sure You Have Not At Risk Following the Philips CPAP Recall
If you suffer from chronic obstructive sleep apnea, you are probably familiar with continuous positive airway pressure (or CPAP) therapy. A CPAP machine provides relief for people with obstructive sleep apnea by continuously applying pressure to the upper respiratory tract through a hose connected to a mask or nosepiece that must be worn while sleeping.
Philips Respironics, a leading manufacturer of CPAP machines, has issued a recall on several products. The Phillips CPAP recall should not be ignored. DoNotPay can help you resolve the issue and navigate the recall process with ease.
Why were Philips CPAP Machines Recalled?
Philips Respironics has issued a recall on several products due to the life-threatening risks associated with a polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam in the machine. When the foam degrades over time and releases particulate matter into the airways that may cause serious illness or death. The official recall letter reads;
"To date, Philips Respironics has received several complaints regarding the presence of black debris/particles within the airpath circuit (extending from the device outlet, humidifier, tubing, and mask). Philips also has received reports of headache, upper airway irritation, cough, chest pressure, and sinus infection. The potential risks of particulate exposure include Irritation (skin, eye, and respiratory tract), inflammatory response, headache, asthma, adverse effects to other organs (e.g. kidneys and liver), and toxic carcinogenic effects. The potential risks of chemical exposure due to off-gassing include headache/dizziness, irritation (eyes, nose, respiratory tract, skin), hypersensitivity, nausea/vomiting, toxic and carcinogenic effects".
How Do I Make a Claim for the Phillips CPAP Recall?
According to the official recall letter, if you use one of the devices listed below, you are potentially at risk and should follow the following steps:
- Stop using the device and work with your medical provider to determine the most appropriate options for continued treatment. If no alternative options are available, you may want to speak to your doctor to decide if the risks associated with the recall outweigh the risks of discontinued use.
- Register your device on the recall website www.philips.com/src-updates.
- The website will have information on the status of the recall and how to receive permanent corrective action to address the issues.
- The website also provides you instructions on how to locate your device Serial Number and will guide you through the registration process.
- Call 1-877-907-7508 if you cannot visit the website or do not have internet access.
Or...you could streamline the process by using DoNotPay.
Who is Eligible for the Philips CPAP Recall?
Sleep apnea sufferers who may be using one of the following products may be affected by the faulty foam may be eligible for the recall:
|Device Type||Model Name and Number (All Serial Numbers)|
|Continuous Ventilator, Minimum Ventilatory Support, Facility Use|
|Continuous Ventilator, Non-life Supporting||
How to check for recalls using DoNotPay's Product Recall Monitor:
If you don't have a specific recalled product in mind yet, DoNotPay can check to see if any of your recent purchases have been recalled. Simply forward any receipts you have to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll scan them against our updated list of recalled items.
How the Product Recall Claims product works:
- Tell us about your purchase, including the product name, brand, store you purchased the item from, price, and date of purchase. If you purchased the item online, enter your transaction details and payment method as well.
- Tell us how you found out about the recall.
- Choose whether you want a refund, repair, or replacement.
- Upload photographic evidence of your purchase and the product if you still have it.
- Choose whether you have the capacity to return the item or not.
And that's it! DoNotPay will send your recall request to the manufacturing company on your behalf, asking for a refund, repair, or replacement. You should hear back from the company directly with confirmation and how the refund/replacement will be issued, or the next steps in getting the item repaired.
What Else Can DoNotPay Help:
DoNotPay can help with other product recalls including:
- Recalls for other dog food brands
- California-specific recalls
- Neutrogena and other sunscreen recall
- Metformin recall
- Tyson chicken recall
- California-specific recalls
- Hot Pocket recall
- Peloton recall
- Vehicle recalls