How to Request a Western Union Refund
Western Union is an American company that does money transfers for customers worldwide. Providing financial services, such as money orders, business payments, and person-to-person fund transfers, to millions of people can sometimes end in unexpected errors, which can cost some people a lot of money.
Unfortunately, the process of asking for a refund from Western Union can sometimes be tiring and complicated. With DoNotPay, there is no room for such inconveniences. Requesting a refund has never been easier—and thanks to DoNotPay, you can do it in a matter of minutes.
Request a Western Union Refund With DoNotPay
DoNotPay offers you a simple way to claim a Western Union refund without breaking a sweat. All you have to do is:
- Open DoNotPay in your or the iPhone app
- Find the File a Chargeback tab and click on it
- Fill in your personal information as well as the details about your bank
- Provide the merchant’s information and the payment method you used
- Follow the instructions to submit the request and choose whether you want DoNotPay to send a dispute letter for you
And you’re done! Our team of experts will get in touch with Western Union customer service and ask for your money back. It’s quick and easy, which is what DoNotPay is all about.
How to Request a Western Union Refund On My Own
If you are thinking about handling the matter yourself, you can request a Western Union refund:
- In person
- By phone
How to Request a Western Union Refund Online
If you made a transaction online and want to receive a refund for it, you can do that by:
- Going to Western Union in your web browser
- Logging in to your account
- Selecting Cancel Transfer
- Opening the link and following the instructions
Bear in mind that the Cancel Transfer link will only appear if you are eligible for a refund. The process is time-consuming and complicated, but it does not have to be if you decide to go with DoNotPay.
How to Request a Western Union Refund in Person
If you made an in-person transaction, you need to visit the same agent. You will need to bring a government-issued ID to that location in order to apply for a refund.
Can I Request a Western Union Refund by Phone?
If you want to cancel your transaction and get your money back, you need to call Western Union customer care at 1-800-325-6000, and they will help you with requesting your refund. If you’re tired of waiting in the phone queue when contacting customer support, you can use DoNotPay hacks and jump the phone queue.
Can I Request a Western Union Refund Via
Western Union Refund Policy
In case the receiver did not pick up the money after you had made the payment, you'll get all of your money back, including the transaction fee. If the funds have been withdrawn by the receiver, Western Union may provide a transfer fee refund if you are eligible for it.
Supposing you are eligible for a refund, Western Union will issue it through a Western Union money transfer, on your credit/debit card, or you can have a check sent to you for the amount you are owed.
How Long Does Western Union Take to Refund Money?
It all depends on the method of payment you originally made the transfer with. If you used your credit or debit card for the transaction, then the refund is processed in no more than an hour. On the occasion you paid directly by a bank account transfer, it might take up to seven days to get your money back.
Can I Keep Track of My Payments With Western Union?
Yes, you can. By visiting the Western Union site and selecting Track Transfer, you can keep an eye on both the sending and the receiving payments. Keep in mind that you need to have a tracking number, which you receive every time you make a transfer.
The tracking number, or the MTCN, can be found in your transfer history page and your printed or emailed receipt.
What Do I Do if I Have Been Scammed?
If you have been a victim of fraud, call Western Union fraud hotline at 1-800-448-1492 as soon as possible or file a fraud claim online. If your payment has not been withdrawn by the receiver, you may be able to cancel the transaction.
After you file a fraud claim, you need to contact the police. Western Union will work with law enforcement to help and retrieve your money.
Things You Can Do To Avoid Being Scammed
We are aware that scammers are hard to recognize, so we offer some tips to help you avoid Western Union scams and make the process a bit easier for you:
- Recognize imposters: Fraudsters tend to pretend to be someone you are familiar with and use that to ask you for a money transfer via Western Union — beware of people telling you they are your friends or relatives, long-lost cousins, grandparents in need, etc.
- Do the research: Since scams usually follow the same pattern, you can google the name of the company and the word scam, and you will see if other people have reported the same problem
- Don’t pay upfront based on a promise: Don’t trust anyone who asks you to pay for something upfront and make empty promises on how they will repay you with an even bigger amount
- Beware of prize scams: You might also get noted that you won a big prize but need to pay taxes and fees via Western Union in order to receive your win
- Consider what payment method you use: If you end up giving the money, the best way to pay is with a credit card since they have a solid fraud protection and getting a refund would be much easier since the money did not actually leave your bank account
- Always ask for a second opinion: Two heads are better than one. If you are thinking about sending the money to an unknown person, always ask for an opinion from a trusted friend or someone who works at a Western Union branch
- Always hang up on fake Western Union robocalls: If you happen to hear a recorded voice when you answer your phone, be sure to hang up quickly and report that number to the Federal Trade Commission
If you want to feel safe, you can sign up for free scam alerts from the Federal Trade Commission. They will provide you with the best and latest tips on scams and how to avoid them.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do For You?
DoNotPay is here to help you make your life much easier. Almost every problem can be solved through the iPhone app or by visiting DoNotPay using your . No more running around and searching for answers, when DoNotPay has them all in one spot. We provide all the information you need, especially if you want to:
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- Deal with bills you are not able to pay
- Resolve credit card issues
- Get a refund for delayed or canceled flights
- Jump the phone queue when contacting customer service reps
- Appeal parking tickets
- Deal with speeding tickets
- Schedule an appointment with the DMV
- Request a refund from any company
- Get revenge on robocalls
- Deal with traffic tickets
- Cancel any subscription
- Sue companies in small claims court