How to Get a USPS Refund ‒ A Step-by-Step Guide
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is a part of the executive branch of the United States federal government that provides postal service in the United States. The agency is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
How to Get a USPS Refund With DoNotPay
DoNotPay is here to make the process of getting a USPS refund much easier than applying for it on your own. Some refund processes make you jump through hoops, which can be very annoying and stressful. Requesting a USPS refund with DoNotPay is as easy as it gets. All you need to do is register on the DoNotPay website and take these steps:
- Login to your DoNotPlay account in a web browser or the iOS app
- Scroll down and find Chargeback Instantly and left-click it
- Answer the chatbot’s questions
- Left-click on Sign and Send
After you’ve taken the steps above, a request is automatically faxed to your bank. You will also receive a letter with all the details regarding VISA and MasterCard policies and laws which should help you win your case. DoNotPay will also help you gather evidence that will be favorable to your case.
How to Get a USPS Refund On Your Own
In case you want to take the harder route and request a refund on your own, here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can do that. As stated in the Exchange and Refunds policy of the USPS, customers may apply for a refund of postage and fees.
Can You Request a Refund Via
Yes / No
Applying For a USPS Refund Online
Customers can request refunds for any of the USPS services online. All you have to do is:
- Log in to the USPS website
- Fill in the necessary information about your package
Here’s a list of USPS services you can ask a refund for:
- Priority Mail Express (postage, Sunday or holiday premium fee, 10:30 am delivery time)
- Certified Mail
- Return Receipt (hardcopy and electronic)
- Signature Confirmation
- USPS Tracking
It is vital that you hold on to your evidence of service purchased until the refund request is resolved because you may be asked to upload the proof of service. The evidence can be in jpg, pdf, or png. Applying for a USPS refund on your own can prove to be quite tiring since there is a lot of information to go through before you actually submit the application for a refund.
Applying For a USPS Refund In-Person
You can take an even more complicated route and request a USPS refund in-person. You have to submit Form 3533 to the postmaster, together with the envelope and wrapper which shows:
- Name and address of the sender
- Name and address of the addressee
- Canceled postage and postal markings
- Any additional evidence of postage and fees paid
A postage refund is granted when payment is made by postage evidencing system, which grants the refund if a customer meets the following:
- Provides the entire envelope or wrapper with the names and addresses of the sender and addressee
- Indicia printed on labels or tapes must be submitted loose and not stapled together
USPS Refund Policy
The USPS refund policy states that a customer must apply for a refund within specific time limits. If you do not ask for a refund in the following time limits after the mailing date, you will lose your refund privilege.
Mail Type or Service
|No Sooner Than|
No Later Than
Priority Mail Express
|2 Days||30 Days|
|Priority Mail Express with an Extra Service||10 Days|
Other Classes of Mail
|10 Days||60 Days|
|Extra Services||10 Days|
How to Get a Full USPS Refund
There are 11 possible scenarios that can make you eligible for a full USPS refund. You will get a full refund if:
- The USPS is at fault
- The postage or fees are paid in excess
- The destination of the service is suspended
- Postage is damaged while in USPS custody
- The shipment does not receive the special services paid by the customer
- Surcharges are mistakenly collected on domestic Registered Mail or collected over the proper amount
- The USPS fails to issue a return receipt, or there is an error with the delivery
- If the customs clearance and delivery fees are falsely collected
- If services are paid for a country in which such services are not available
- Priority Mail Express is not delivered according to the standards
- If the package is torn or damaged during USPS handling
There are a lot of details that you need to pay attention to when applying for a USPS refund, and that is why applying with DoNotPay is an easier way to go about it.
How Long Will It Take to Receive a USPS Refund
Once you’ve applied for a USPS refund, it will take them two to three business days to process the request. Sometimes, USPS needs more information to process your request, which usually takes them another two to three business days. This means that in the worst-case scenario you should get a refund in six business days.
USPS Refund Payment Methods
For online refunds, Priority Mail Express refunds are paid by check or as a credit to an account. The credit is attached to your account and can be used for other services. For applicable extra services, the refunds are paid by check. If you request your refund by filing Form 3533, you will receive your immediate refund in cash or in a no-fee money order. For deferred refunds, you will receive a check or a credit to your account.
Issues You Might Encounter When Applying For a USPS Refund
The USPS postage will not be refunded if the service paid by the customer was canceled due to any of the following scenarios:
- The item is detained for law-enforcement purposes
- The item was delayed due to strike or work stoppage
- The addressee makes a written request that the shipment is held for delayed delivery
- The shipment cannot be delivered as addressed
- The item is delayed due to wrong information
- The shipment is delayed due to governmental action beyond the control of USPS (war, civil disturbance, breakdowns of the transportation network, acts of God)
- The shipment contains live animals
What Other Services Can DoNotPay Provide?
DoNotPay is the world’s first robot lawyer, and we’re here to help you fight corporations. If you like subscribing to free trials on the Internet and you’re looking for a way to save money effectively, the DoNotPay Virtual Credit Card is the thing for you.
Our Virtual Credit Card can be used to apply for free trial periods and not be billed once it is over. If you apply for a 7-day Free Trial and the company asks for your credit card info, you will not use your real credit card, you will use a virtual card. This way, you won’t be charged for a full month after the free trial expires.
Whether it is saving your money by canceling a subscription or disputing parking tickets, DoNotPay is just a couple of clicks away in your web browser or your iOS device. Here’s what we can do for you:
- Deal with credit card issues
- Cancel subscriptions or memberships
- Dispute traffic tickets
- Hold down the queue when reaching a customer service rep
- Fight speeding tickets
- Get revenge on robocalls
- Sue people and companies in small claims court
- Schedule a DMV appointment easily
- Get refunds of delayed or canceled flights
- Dispute parking tickets
- Deal with bills you cannot pay
- Protect you from stalking and harassment
- Get refunds from other companies