List of Accommodations For Students With Disabilities
Learners who qualify for special education services due to their disabilities are also eligible for accommodations during testing. To get the requests for such accommodations approved, applications must be filled out and the proper documentation provided.
Applying for testing accommodations by yourself is not as easy as most people may think. It is a lengthy and tedious process. However, with DoNotPay, learners can easily get approval for testing accommodations based on their disabilities. DoNotPay can help with accommodations for various tests, such as the ACT, LSAT, and MCAT. Read on for more information about the .
What Is an Accommodation?
Accommodations were introduced to "level the playing field" in learning and assessment between students with disabilities and those without disabilities. Simply put, accommodations allow learners with disabilities to get the same access to learning material as their counterparts without a disability. For example, people with poor vision wear prescribed glasses to enhance their vision.
Contrary to popular opinion, providing accommodations for students in need does not equal cheating. Just because someone wears eyeglasses does not mean that they will perform better in their assessment. The same logic applies to .
Learning Disabilities That Qualify For Accommodations
While many learning disabilities may require special testing accommodations, the main ones are:
It is worth noting that emotional disorders are not categorized under learning disabilities. That said, specific disabilities that are not considered learning disabilities can impact a student's learning ability. Case in point, while ADHD is not a learning disability, it makes it hard for students to focus.
List of Testing Accommodations For Students With Disabilities
There are many testing accommodation options depending on the nature and the severity of the learner's disabilities. There are three main groups of :
|These accommodations allow students to access learning the information without having to read the standard visual print. Examples of presentation accommodations are:
|These accommodations allow students to complete tests and assignments in ways that are easier for them. Examples are:
|These involve changing the environment in which the test is given. Examples include:
|Time and Scheduling Accommodations
|These accommodations increase the time for assessment and make changes to how time is organized. Examples are
It is worth noting that the student's accommodations are selected by both the parents and the educators at the IEP meeting.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Accommodations
The following are essential questions to ask during the selection process:
- What are the learner's learning strengths and weaknesses?
- How does the student's learning disability(s) affect their academic performance?
- What special accommodations will help the student perform better?
- Has the student used accommodations before, and if so, how well have they worked in the past?
Learn More About Your State's Policies
Testing accommodations vary by state. If you want to learn more about what's allowable in your state, go to your state's Department of Education website.
It is also noteworthy that students or their guardians must provide proof of their disability from a qualified doctor or therapist as part of the documentation process.
How DoNotPay Can Help
Applying for accommodations for students with special needs can be a complicated process. DoNotPay, however, makes this whole process very easy.
DoNotPay will help you get testing accommodations in 3 easy steps:
- Search for testing accommodations on DoNotPay.
- Start our Request My Testing Accommodation product by telling us which test you intend to take.
- Answer some questions about your specific disability and testing plans.
And that's it! DoNotPay will write a letter to the company administering your exam laying out the case for your accommodation request both concerning that company's internal policies and relevant disability law. You should receive a response soon.
Why Use DoNotPay?
There are so many reasons you should let DoNotPay help you get testing accommodations for students with disabilities. The top ones are:
- DoNotPay is fast. We handle all the documentation work for you so that you can focus on preparing for your examination.
- DoNotPay has a user-friendly interface. The app is easy to use. All the information you need is at your fingertips.
- DoNotPay is successful. You can rest assured that we will handle this for you.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
DoNotPay has many other outstanding services to offer. Some notable examples are:
- Helping you with burner phones
- Helping you get chargebacks and refunds
- Helping you with airline flight cancellation
- Helping you get free trials
- Helping you with credit cards
And a whole lot more! Do not wait any longer. Sign up with DoNotPay today, to get affordable legal help at your fingertips within minutes.