How to Get Your ADHD Accommodation Letter From Your Doctor
SAT, ACT, LSAT, and MCAT. Those seem like irrelevant acronyms, but they hold high significance for many college-bound and graduate students. Standardized testing has become a fact of life for students from elementary school through high school, to college, and beyond.
Standardized test scores are used to measure student and school performance, for college admissions, for scholarship opportunities, and even to gain licensure in many professions. That is a lot of pressure for anyone, but for those with learning differences or disabilities, testing can be intimidating, stressful, and overwhelming. However, the ability to receive testing accommodations can make the entire experience more pleasant and comfortable.
If you need an , DoNotPay is here to help. DoNotPay can help with accommodations for any major tests that you may need to take. Read further for more information on how DoNotPay can make the entire process easier for you.
Testing Accommodations for ADHD
Many types of conditions and disabilities may qualify a test taker for accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Fortunately, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is included. ADHD accommodations can make a significant difference to the test taker's ability to achieve successful results and should not be overlooked or disregarded.
What Types of Accommodation Are Available?
The types of accommodation available for ADHD test takers will vary depending on the specific needs of the individual, but may include:
- Extended test time
- Additional break time
- Alternative testing environment
The purpose of accommodation for ADHD may be to limit distraction, reduce fatigue and increase the ability to focus, among other reasons.
What Do You Need for Testing Accommodation?
Each test accommodation will have specific requirements for receiving accommodation. Generally, this includes a documented diagnosis by a qualified medical professional that also details the need for testing accommodations, i.e. an ADHD accommodation letter from your doctor.
Submitting an ADHD Accommodation Letter From Your Doctor
Remember, the specific elements required in your letter may vary depending on the test for which you are seeking accommodation, so be sure to verify what you need before making the request.
- Review the testing company's disability accommodation requirements. You should be able to locate their guidelines on their website, but if you cannot locate this information, you should contact them directly.
- Request a letter from your doctor - even if you have an IEP or other school accommodations, you will need specific documentation for testing services.
- The information required in the letter will be outlined in their accommodation policy. The type of information your letter may need to include:
- Your specific diagnosis - some tests may require that the medical professional reference the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5 or whichever edition was current at the time of diagnosis) in their letter as well.
- A history of relevant educational or medical history that supports the ADHD diagnosis, as well as the functional limitations it presents, especially relevant to testing.
- Teacher surveys/observations - these are relevant for the testing company in understanding the most appropriate types of accommodations
- The letter should demonstrate or indicate that comprehensive assessments and/or testing were completed.
- The letter should indicate how ADHD functionally limits the students' academic functioning and ability to participate in the exam.
- Recommended accommodations from the medical professional, as well as justification and how they would benefit the tester.
- The evaluator's professional credentials should be listed. Your evaluator probably cannot be a family member or employer and should have actually evaluated or treated you.
- Submit the accommodation request along with all required documentation as described by the testing company. If you are overwhelmed, DoNotPay can help!
Request Testing Accommodations With the Help of DoNotPay
Once you have your , DoNotPay can help you request the testing accommodations! We want to save you time and stress and make the process as simple as possible. We will send a letter to the testing company on your behalf, present the information and evidence, and request the appropriate accommodations for your test. You deserve to be on a level playing field, and we will help you get there!
Just follow the the easy steps below:
- Search for testing accommodations on DoNotPay.
- Start our Request My Testing Accommodation product by telling us which test you intend to take.
- Answer some questions about your specific disability and testing plans.
And that's it! DoNotPay will write a professional letter to the company administering your exam and lay out the case for your accommodation request both with respect to that company's internal policies and relevant disability law. You should receive a response soon!
Aside from assisting with ADHD accommodations, we can also assist in requesting accommodations for:
|American College Test
|The Law School||The Medical College Admission Test®|
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
In addition to helping you receive fair testing accommodation, DoNotPay can help you in many other ways. We are able to assist you with:
- Finding the Best Schools
- Finding and Applying for Scholarships
- Getting College Fee Waivers
- Filing a Case in Small Claims Court
- Skipping the Phone Queue for Customer Service
- Fighting and Waiving Fees
- Contacting Government Representatives
- Government Tests Preparation
Whatever your troubles are, you can sign up with DoNotPay to find a quick solution without hurting your budget.