I Need Help Paying Rent Before I Get Evicted - What Should I Do?
People face the threat of evictions every day because they struggle to gather enough funds to pay rent. Rent is often the largest expense a person has each month, so it's often one of the first bills that goes unpaid after someone gets laid off or begins to struggle financially. If you're panicking and thinking, "," DoNotPay can help you.
DoNotPay is the world's first robot lawyer, and it was designed to help people carry out tasks that are often overwhelming and stressful. Finding rental assistance is perhaps one of the most stressful financial events a person can endure, but you don't have to face it alone with DoNotPay.
Rental Assistance Guides From DoNotPay by State
Rental assistance guidelines can vary greatly in each state. For more specific information about the state you live in, refer to the table below:
How Long Does It Take To Receive Rental Assistance?
The time it takes to actually receive rental assistance can vary widely, and it depends on a number of factors, such as the rental housing assistance program you applied to. Some non-profits and organizations have a streamlined process that allows them to provide rental assistance funds in as little as a week, while others can take several weeks or months to even look at your application.
The best way to speed up the process is to apply to as many rental assistance organizations as you can, but be sure to take a few moments to scan the agency's eligibility requirements. Failure to do so can waste valuable time and resources. Reaching out to a wide variety of organizations may not result in quick rental assistance, but they may be able to make referrals or help you with other financial struggles in the meantime.
Finding Rental Assistance on Your Own
Each state has organizations designed to help with financial crises and supply rental assistance to those in need, but finding the right place to apply, filling out all of the paperwork, and playing the waiting game is incredibly stressful. To find rental assistance on our own, follow these six steps:
- Visit the CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) website to access the rental assistance locator tool
- Enter your territory or state, which may include a tribe if applicable
- Find the appropriate agency and hit the relevant link next to "Get Started"
- Carefully review eligibility requirements and determine if you can receive rental assistance
- Fill out the proper forms, and follow the instructions to submit them properly
- Wait until you hear whether your application was accepted or denied
If you don't hear back from the agency for several weeks, you can try logging onto their website to find an application status link, or you can call their customer support number for an update. It can be discouraging to have your application denied by one agency, but there may be other non-profits in your area that can also give you funds to help you stay in your home.
If you need help locating other agencies and non-profits for rental assistance, you can
Using DoNotPay to Get the Rental Assistance You Need
If you have tried finding rental assistance on your own with no avail, or you aren't even sure where to start, fret not. DoNotPay can handle most of the hard work for you! All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Once you submit the form, we will generate a letter and send it to the appropriate housing authority on your behalf. In the meantime, you can focus on other pressing tasks. It can feel scary and lonely to face financial hardships, but DoNotPay is here for you.
How Else Can DoNotPay Help Me?
Besides helping you to find , we can also help you with:
- Obtaining burner phones
- Fighting property taxes
- Appealing banned accounts
- Appealing parking tickets in any
- Connecting with prisoners
- Filing a formal complaint
- Deleting your Instagram account
- And so much more!
If you're ready to get the support you need to carry out the tasks that stress you out the most, visit DoNotPay today to see what we can do for you!